• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing spin rates

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Here is an example. The spin rate can remain constant with a higher AoA and the same loft. Once the loft has to go up to increase launch, so does the spin. This is based off a 13* driver and a +4* AoA. This is right about at the point that any more loft becomes too much spin and any less loft is too little launch.

90SS.jpg
90SS.jpg

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Also, IMO the OP has a pretty good swing. He's getting a pretty good AoA based on the low spin rates and a BS right on with his SS. He'd have no trouble going up in loft, maintaining a reasonable spin rate and have even more forgiveness. Based also on how he did in the Sim, I'll bet he's capable of a good 4-5mph. more SS, so I wouldn't go too overboard on the high loft.

OP
R

rtbrps3383

Jan 19, 2009
Wow a 13* deg? I always thought that a driver that high would just balloon the drives with no roll. Because my mechanics are so bad, I rarely have been hitting driver. I mainly use my 3 wood because I can hit it just as far. My 3 wd is 15 deg. I think my driver is 10.5. I was actually leaning towards a 9.5 - 10 * just to get extra roll.
Huh, now that I think about it, I think the 3wds I've been toying with at the store have been 13*. I'll have have to pay closer attention next time I go. I've been focused on techniques more than anything else. I wonder if that would be why my 3wd in the sim seem to go way farther than my on course swings.
Maybe my thinking on this is backwards.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Most of the drivers out now are made to lower spin rates, which is what will get you more roll. You have no reason to fear "ballooning the ball.". That's a term that is so overused on the internet. Ballooning is the result of way too much backspin. With a 130-135 ballspeed you'd need to get close to 4K rpms of backspin before that would be an issue. I'd like to see your results with drivers like 2007 Burner 10.5* Rflex, 2007 Callaway FTi or FT5 11* Rflex, Cleveland Hibore XL 11.5* Gold Rflex, Cobra LD Mspeed 10.5 or 12*.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Wow a 13* deg? I always thought that a driver that high would just balloon the drives with no roll. Because my mechanics are so bad, I rarely have been hitting driver. I mainly use my 3 wood because I can hit it just as far. My 3 wd is 15 deg. I think my driver is 10.5. I was actually leaning towards a 9.5 - 10 * just to get extra roll.
Huh, now that I think about it, I think the 3wds I've been toying with at the store have been 13*. I'll have have to pay closer attention next time I go. I've been focused on techniques more than anything else. I wonder if that would be why my 3wd in the sim seem to go way farther than my on course swings.
Maybe my thinking on this is backwards.
From the information in your initial post you would likely benefit from a 12* to 13.5* driver. You are going to get the majority of your distance from carry. By going to a higher lofted driver you will likely get more overall distance. My swing characteristics are slightly higher than yours and carry a 12* driver. While I am not certain the wiser choice would not have been 13.5*, not only was it not available in the driver I wanted, but I couldn't bring myself to do such. Also realize the shaft will seriously impact the ball flight and ballooning you are concerned with. Another reason I didn't go with a 13.5* is I do tend to get the ball up in the air even when I had the 10* driver.

Although for your characteristics, while you may get more roll with a 10* driver, it will likely still come at the expense of overall distance because of the carry.

Another important consideration and what probably played the more important role in my decision is consistency. In general, the higher the loft the more consistency. I hit my 10* fairly consistent, but figured by going to a 12* even if I didn't gain yards, my control and consistency would likely lead to a better average overall distance. Finally broke down and did so and could not be happier. Really though, you are likely looking at a 5-10 yard difference at most no matter how you look at the distance. Where you will gain is assuring you have the right shaft and the club that you can consistently get into play. My 12* may be 5-10 yards longer, but it is consistently in the fairway. While my 10* was not inconsistent, it still found the fairway more.

Another consideration is cutting the shaft down for consistency. It to will pay premium to consistency for most golfer. Sure, you may lose a few yards on your best shot, scoring is not about how well you hit your best shot but how you hit your normal shots. For which you will find that if you average in the stray shots with the monsters, it is probably not as good as being able to keep the ball in play every time. I used to hit the ball alot further, but in taking the steps to keep the ball in play every shot, I took about 35-45 yards off my distance with my woods and about 15-20 off my irons, but in doing so I also took about 10 strokes off my index in that same time

OP
R

rtbrps3383

Jan 19, 2009
I went back and tried a gain on a different machine. Lot of variances, out of 16 swings I wrote down , I had 16 different results. No consistency, so as I said b4, back to focusing on fixing the mechanics and get more consistent #'s.
I did try a 12 deg and 13 deg driver. I might have been tired, because I had really low ball speed , and hit them really short. I'll blame the user for now:).

I thank all for your input. It has been a great learning exercise.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I wouldn't worry too much about ballspeed for now. .830 is the COR limit, all drivers can produce the same ballspeed. Launch angle and spin rate are going to be the most important #'s to look at.

🔥 Latest posts