• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing spin rates

rtbrps3383

Jan 19, 2009
My buddy in Texas, went to buy a new driver, was analyzed and found that his old driver was just as good as the new ones. So he called me in North Carolina, to compare speed and spin #'s.
Long story short I had club head speed of 85 -89 ball speed of 132 - 139, BUT, spin speed of 1400 - 2000. Side spin of 300 - 900.
We both agreed that the spin #'s seemed wrong.
After 2 hours of googling, I can't find anything that would tell me the effects of these numbers, if, in fact, they are accurate. Are these #'s good or bad?
I was also trying to find the chart that the analyzer uses, can't find that either.
Can you gents assist in this?
Many thanks in advance!

OP
R

rtbrps3383

Jan 19, 2009
Thanks for the warm welcome. I finally was able to get the file to work. I hate using IE, stupid yahoo wants to keep adding a tool bar, but that's a whole another issue.
That's a pretty cool tool. But what happens if my spin rate is below 2000? Is that considered a faulty reading?
What's considered an optimal side spin rate? Are my rates again too low?
Thanks again for all the help.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Not sure what browser you use. I use Firefox and it seems to work fine. I also refuse to use IE unless absolutely necessary, and with the addition of IE Tab addon in Firefox, I have not had to use IE in several years. Although for that tool, it runs fine under Firefox without clicking the IE Tab. I'll let someone more informative answer your question on the spin rate below 2k.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Your driver is too low a loft and probably too stiff a shaft. With that SS and ballspeed you should have at most a Regular Flex and minimum 10.5* driver. Spin rate for that ballspeed needs to be close to 3500 with a very high launch angle. You may find you'd need to go as high as a 12-13* driver to get optimal launch. With the current spin rate the ball is just dropping like a dead duck out of the air. You'd gain 30-40yds. with one that gives you correct launch and spin.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
That sort of low spin rate is probably common with an upward angle of attack and a slower swing. Even given those considerations, that's REALLY low spin. More spin would probably add distance to a drive, given those statistics. With a swing speed of 85-90, you would want high 3000's I think.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Emphasis on probably. There's no complete guarantee adding spin rate would truly assist. Personally I'm quite low spin rate, SS is about 115 and spinrate is only 1300. However, when I go to a club that helps with more spin, the drives suffer.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
If you have the loft you were using and your launch angle, I can get more exact.

According to a model, that spin rate represents about an 8-8.5* launch angle and 172yds. carry. If I change that to a 13.3* launch angle, which would require hitting 2* up on a 13* driver with that ballspeed, the spin goes up to 3250 and the carry to 207yds..

OP
R

rtbrps3383

Jan 19, 2009
Interesting. Let me see if I can muddle this a little more. I don't recall the loft angle. I was at the golf store putzing around. But I can tell you my carry
distance was 190 - 215 . I used a Taylor R7 if that helps. And to confuse this more, I went into the simulator and had ball speeds of 140 -145 with a carry of 225 -240. I had launch angles of 11 - 14 deg.
My buddy at the store attributes this variance to people tend to hit the ball more solid in the simulator because they have a target to shoot at, but he thinks the numbers from the analyzer are more accurate.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Like everyone said, the spin numbers are horrible...do you by chance know what the trajectory numbers were???

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
At 14* your launch is good. I'd look for a driver that can get that consistantly. At least a 10.5*. Are you looking at any new drivers or used ones?

🔥 Latest posts