• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing Thought Change

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
So recently I decided to make a change to my "swing thought." I put it in quotes because I have absolutely nothing running through my head during a swing but it is the last thing I think right before I take the club away.

Previously I use to think of the word "effortless." This was to get my mind into the tempo of two back one through. VJ said in an article I don't remember how long ago that he thinks of the word seventeen when he swings seven for the back swing and teen for the downswing and follow through. If you are having trouble making a good aggressive pass at the ball I highly recommend this swing thought as it generates a sense of patience on the back swing and attack on the down swing.

However, while watching the British Open Ian Baker-Finch kept saying over and over you have to hit the ball with your right side. Don't listen to anyone who tells you to pull through with your left is telling you wrong. (this is for a right hander all you southpaws will want to flip those two statements). I tried this on my most recent trip to the driving range and out on the course and it make a remarkable improvement in my game. I am a long player, so I pretty much max out the distance I can get from each club anyways. I would be interested to hear if anyone noticed any distance gained from this thought. But what I did notice is that I launched my shots on a rope down my target line. My 5-10yd draw disappeared over night, and my accuracy from 9 iron up through driver increased dramatically.

I attribute this increase in accuracy to a better clearing of the left side so that the right side can flow freely through the impact zone. I am also noticing that it is allowing me to hold my wrist hinge a lot longer. This is translating to a more consistent distance with each club, and a slightly steeper angle of attack producing higher ball flight and more spin. It has worked beautifully for me, and I highly recommend it for your thought banks to give a try the next time you hit the range. Just imagine that the only part of your swing that matters is your right side smashing through the ball at impact. Happy hitting.

RCI

Jul 26, 2008
I'll take a stab at your "thought." Yes! Hit with all the right side you can, but only if you turn your hips leading on the way down. If you slide your hips, it will be a real problem, but if you maintained your right leg brace on the the backswing, kept the club in front of you to the top, and initiated the downswing from the ground up with a strong hip clearing move, then as Hogan said... he would like to have two right hands hitting the ball.

The problem with most early stage golfers (obviously not you) is they may think hitting hard with the right hand does not first require the strong hip turn (or they simply do not get the "ground up concept so the release early, come over the top or get handsy.") If you crank the hip clearing move, you will find it very hard to come over the top or get handsy. When viewed from behind, impact should happen after both hip cheek become visible -- then you know you are clearing and turning, and not sliding too much and turning too late.

So I agree with youm for what it's worth. My swing thought is always to restrict the right hip turn -- hold it tight and do not let it turn away from the ball, then on the downswing, turn the left hip hard out of the way and release the right side like there is no tomorrow. It feels like the hands arrive at the ball when the right pocket gets there -- you don't really quite do that, but it feels that way when you crush it. Visualize Tiger.

5iron

Floggerrushmd it was a good what you wrote about what VJ thinks, in his swing. As for the insturctional part i dont know enough to comment, lol.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'll take a stab at your "thought." Yes! Hit with all the right side you can, but only if you turn your hips leading on the way down. If you slide your hips, it will be a real problem, but if you maintained your right leg brace on the the backswing, kept the club in front of you to the top, and initiated the downswing from the ground up with a strong hip clearing move, then as Hogan said... he would like to have two right hands hitting the ball.

The problem with most early stage golfers (obviously not you) is they may think hitting hard with the right hand does not first require the strong hip turn (or they simply do not get the "ground up concept so the release early, come over the top or get handsy.") If you crank the hip clearing move, you will find it very hard to come over the top or get handsy. When viewed from behind, impact should happen after both hip cheek become visible -- then you know you are clearing and turning, and not sliding too much and turning too late.

So I agree with youm for what it's worth. My swing thought is always to restrict the right hip turn -- hold it tight and do not let it turn away from the ball, then on the downswing, turn the left hip hard out of the way and release the right side like there is no tomorrow. It feels like the hands arrive at the ball when the right pocket gets there -- you don't really quite do that, but it feels that way when you crush it. Visualize Tiger.
I like these thoughts.

I hit much more with the right side than the left. I don't feel like I'm 'pulling' the club through impact, nearly as much as I'm pushing it. Hence I have a fairly steep downswing and am prone to pulls, for the exact reason you mention - a failure to properly clear the hips.

I think that restricting the right hip is a great way to develop coil (X-Factor.) My thought is to feel a torque in my right thigh as I turn my left shoulder over my right knee.

If I limit my backswing to the point where my left arm is still straight, and my right thigh is torqued over a bent right knee, then I can fire hard with the lower body and hit down and through the ball with my right hand. If I get lazy and start the downswing with my hands, then bad things happen.

raven34

Jul 14, 2008
Hey Im going to go down and try this right now.
I have arthritis (all sob!) and cannot straighten my left arm. I have had this problem for about 8 years now and I keep trying to pull the ball through with this bent arm. Maybe hitting with the right side will help.
It makes sense to me as described. My only concern is Ian Baker-Finch!!:biglol:
Sorry couldn't resist and yes I do know he was a great player and knows what he is talking about.
See you in one bucket's time!

5iron

And by the way i tried the Seven-teen thing a couple times and its great for tempo. THanks for posting it.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.