• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing Video Experiment

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
charnockpro said:
Ok i respect you didnt ask for advice, but to meet the advice with
naysaying is what had rankled me.

Sorry.

charnockpro said:
I can see where Ercaer is coming from and it is from a helpful point
of view, there are many books solely on the pre shot routine (30
second golf swing) and your approach is obviously different, we were
not telling you what to do merely suggesting what we thought would
help.

I got much more of a "You aren't serious enough for us to bother with" vibe, to be honest. And, maybe I'm not. I appreciate the attempted help, regardless.

I have watched enough golf balls and swings to know within the first
few feet what a ball will do, it is easy to tell from just hearing the
contact on the clubface where it has hit.

Seriously? I mean, I'm onboard with hearing the difference between pure, and fat, and thin, but you can hear the difference between a pure draw and a pure cut? Or you can see it in a couple feet of 30 fps video? A hit resulting in a 120 mph ballspeed (picked from thin air, I have no idea what my ballspeed is) will move 6' per frame. You need at least 3 images ( or 18' of travel ) to draw anything resembling a 'curve', by definition, in order to start estimating the 2D path of the ball. Adding a third dimension only makes it worse. I believe you if you say you can do it, but that is far from 'easy'.

Yeah the results were mixed as we didnt see you hit a ball, until
later in the thread and when given well meaning advice, the people who
gave it felt like well thanks but screw you sort of reply was given, i
agree with the no swing fits all thesis and if you look at past
threads that is my main view on the swing, nobody is a robot, we are
all built differently, we offered a few minor tweaks to help and got a
big finger.

Well 'not seeing me hit a ball' was the whole point of the experiment. As you described above, even just a few feet of video would prejudice viewers to a particular result. I wanted to see what they thought about the swing, not test their visual acuity.

I re-read the thread now, and didn't really find any large fingers displayed. We clearly disagree on some fundamentals, but if I said anything that offensive, I'll apologise for that, too.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.