• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing Video.

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
I just got back from a golf trip in Kansas City and had my friend tape my swing a couple of times. I’ve never had a golf lesson expect for a golf class in College so it’s a home made swing from stuff I have read and watch on the Golf Channel. I started to video tape myself last year and I noticed I was bring the club back to far inside and then and then get stuck at the top and end up coming over the top on the way down. In this swing I think I was trying to draw the ball agienst the 35-40mph wind, and I may have blocked it a tad. Take a look and tell me what you think.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
wow, i liked it.. i wasnt expecting much from the fact that you said youve never had lessons, but wow..

your back swing seems kinda short, but if you are looking for more control, then thats ok... better than too long...

and the wind seemed worse than 35... it was really blowing!!

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
that V2 looks like a toothpick in your hands....

I bet you can really crush it.

OP
gunning4u

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
That wind was something else if I had a tee time at my home course I wouldn’t even go out in that kind of wind but I was on vacation. This course was Shoal Creek and it was plenty demanding without the wind. It had plenty of tall prairie grasses for rough and it seemed like all the long pars 5’s were playing dead into the wind. I took a nine on one of them. Here is the course if you want to take a look. Kansas City Golf Courses - SHOAL CREEK GOLF CLUB We had fun anyways, I did have one nice drive on ten, it was playing straight down wind and I drove it pin high just left of the green on a 368yrd par 4 and scored a 5. I tried to putt it from the fringe and left it way short, I got to aggressive on my birdie putt then missed my 5ft par putt, then proceeded to chuck my putter as far as I could.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Not bad at all considering no lessons, i do see acouple of things though.

a good start to the backswing is ruined by an over cocking of the wrists to complete the finish of the backswing, this causes your weight to be left on your left hand side and you can see how you struggle to clear yourself on the way down and because your natural move is to try and create width, the shaft angle then steepens and you have to rely on hand eye co ordination to square the clubface, which is visible by the over supination in your wrists on the follow through

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
OK at the risk of sounding gay....the absolute first thing I noticed when the vid came up was the white socks and black shoes......thus I would recommend black socks....should take 3..4 shots of the scorecard!!!!

Oh and the swing...looks pretty good...agree with what charnock said.....looks like maybe you have a bit of trouble getting your hands thru impact and squaring the clubhead.

after reading again...I wanted to add an edit....wondering what charnockpro thought about ways to correct getting to much wrist angle at the top?? I have a tendency to do the same and block drives right....thus overcorrecting into a snap hook.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Gunning4u and SCGolfer:

One thing i would suggest is that if you are completing the backswing with excessive wrist hinge, a drill to try is, make your address position and swing your right arm into a backswing position, then swing your left arm up to meet it, unless extremely flexible it will usually fall short of your right arm position, if this is the case bring your right arm down to meet it, this is your natural arm swing arc and width, anything past this is going to wreck your synchronisation. it will result in a shorter arm swing and more compact but wider backswing therefore giving you plenty of room for your arms and hands to swing down and through and not struggling to square up with hand eye co ordination, this will help your backswing to be controlled by the core strength of your body and not the inconsistency of your hand co ordination.

OP
gunning4u

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
I will give that a try. Could you explain width I think I might not understand it completely. I saw someone braking down tigers swing and he talked about the tremendous width he gets and I thought it is the distance of your hands away from your body at the top of the back swing. I thought the further the better or is that not always right.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Good looking swing. You look fairly relaxed, and your tempo looks good. A bit out of balance on your follow-through, but that may have just been the wind blowing you over...:laugh:

Oh, and forget what SCGolfer said about the socks. Black socks are gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that either. They're just totally gay.

JK, SC...JK.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Yes you are understanding width in the right way, what i suggested was to find your own personal width and arc characteristics because excessive overstretching of the arms to gain width can be destructive as well.

OP
gunning4u

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
Thinks for all the help one more thing what could I do to make my follow thru better, left hand only swings?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
If you are looking for more power, get a stronger shoulder turn.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.