• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing Vision-Tiger-Hogan comparisons

OP
charnockpro

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Tiger was only young back when he was using the old swing, experience has more to do with his added majors, to say he would have continued at that pace is pretty silly if you ask me.

I didnt state that he was going to carry on at the rate of winning majors like he had done, he has been working with Haney since mid 2004 and although it took just under a year for him to win a major, he would readily admit that he isnt 100% happy with his swing, if you look at his actual rate of winning majors since moving to haney it has not been a bad haul so far and is close to his rate circa 2000-2001

Less spin would signal that but it hasn't been the case, I don't think Tigers distance control is as good as it was with the steeper swing, maybe his wedge play but he always needed work on his wedge play and probably put the extra time into it.

Are you kidding me? he regularly used to bale through greens with short irons with the Harmon era swing

There is no way you can say Tigers driving accuracy has droped only due to 10-15 yards added. Tiger is missing fairways but a country mile, he can't get the club square (main purpose of the one plane) and he is getting through late on the ball. He is too fast for a 1 plane.

Since 2004 as well Tiger has used a graphite shaft and larger headed driver, whereas previous to Micklesons comments about inferior equipment he was a more accurate driver with steel and less technology.

Can you explain how he is too fast for a one swing plane?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I agree.With Harmon he would sometimes totally mistime a wedge and hit it 20 yards long,it was hilarious when he did it,he just turned it over and smacked it way long.I also have no idea why he is to fast for a one plane swing.Hogan swung hard,really hard,the whole point of a one plane swing is you can hit as hard as you like and Hardy even advocated swinging as hard as you like from the top,he says it doesn't matter.

OP
charnockpro

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
I also have no idea why he is to fast for a one plane swing.Hogan swung hard,really hard,the whole point of a one plane swing is you can hit as hard as you like and Hardy even advocated swinging as hard as you like from the top,he says it doesn't matter.

I spoke to Simon Holmes (Leadbetter Staff member during the 90's) earlier this year about when he visited Hogan with Nick Faldo early 90's i think and he was surprised at the ferocity that Hogan went after it then at 70+ years of age, and as much as i dont like Hardy i have read the book and he does say that hit it hard as you like.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Yes,this is the big benefit of the one plane swing and its derivatives as taught now.You can hit as hard as you like because you are not relying on timing as much as the two plane swingers by using the torso and trunk to power the swing,which is another reason why I am puzzled by Jason's post.Its universally accepted that two plane requires a higher degree of timing,the opposite of what Jason posted.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Haney

awww.golfinternationalmag.co.uk_newsimages_Mar_07_woods25b.jpg

Harmon

aimg.timeinc.net_golfonline_images_tours_sf_tiger299_vuich.jpg

OP
charnockpro

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Looks nothing like either of them!, kidding, yeah this is a great example of how his swing has improved, now if he could just drive it straight he would be more than 4 shots clear going into todays final round

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Lol,yeah,Tiger has looked rusty all week yet he is still 4 clear with 13 to play

benk

Ben
Dec 4, 2006
Tiger doesn't have a 1 plane golf swing, in the sense of Hardy, or even Hogan. His swing isn't in the mold of Hogan's swing at all, though they do have their similaritys. Tiger's swing is much more timing based then Hogan's was. Hogan hit the ball better the harder he swung [ As a Hardy-ite, so to speak, its the same way with me ], Tiger is not that way MOST days, though he can deffinally go for it when he needs to.

OP
charnockpro

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Isnt every golf swing timing based? or is that just a phallacy as well?

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
Tiger isn't too fast with his arms/hands, he is too fast with his body and hips, leaving blocks almost every time. With his old swing he could fix that, he would have room to manuver.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
No,he blocks it when he has the face way open,he gets fast with his lower half to try and correct it but its to late,the face was just so open not even Tiger could pull it back.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Tiger is not a lower body person he is an upper body swinger. He actually keeps his lower body quiet compared to sergio. He has even mentioned this in one of his swing discussions. The only lower body drive is really his initial downswing his upper body is actually taking over once that initial twitch starts.

OP
charnockpro

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Demon
Tiger is not a lower body person he is an upper body swinger. He actually keeps his lower body quiet compared to sergio. He has even mentioned this in one of his swing discussions. The only lower body drive is really his initial downswing his upper body is actually taking over once that initial twitch starts.
dave.
No,he blocks it when he has the face way open,he gets fast with his lower half to try and correct it but its to late,the face was just so open not even Tiger could pull it back.
JasonMacIsaac
Tiger isn't too fast with his arms/hands, he is too fast with his body and hips, leaving blocks almost every time. With his old swing he could fix that, he would have room to manuver.

This is the reason golf is such a great game, one subject, 3 different answers.

I really enjoy watching what Tiger is doing at the moment as i stated before he is winning big field tourneys whilst not playing his greatest, He has been quoted again saying he is comfortable with what he is working on etc.... I personally think he is a lock for the Masters regardless of his golf swing troubles.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Yep,there is no rough at Augusta so I cannot see Tiger losing ever again there,it will be remembered as his tournament.Someone might win it off him,but he will never lose it in a way say Seve and Norman have in the past.But who on earth at this moment is showing the form that might wrestle Tiger and actually put him under pressure?

Only one,Stenson.

OP
charnockpro

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Such is my line of thought as well Dave, I have already staked £20 e/w on Stenson at healthy odds of 33/1 prior to his WGC win, such an achievment to rise to 6th in the world from where he was a few years back.

Woods may for all we know be working on a 1/2plane leverage/arc/width/golf machine/dalton mcrary/explanar move that nobody has figured out??!!

🔥 Latest posts