• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing weight???

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I prefer a heavier feeling club both with irons & driver but whats the easiest way to alter the swing weight when experimenting?

Is it lead tape? How much is one swingweight? How does the grip or shaft weight effect it?

I just got some TM 320's and they 'feel' Heavier than my X14 Pro's & Nike ProCombos and I prefer the weight of them. That said I have just sold them to my brother in law as he has just started playing again and he had & liked the 320's before. I fancy the Titty 775's instead but want a simlar feeling weight.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Depends on the weight of the lead tape. Can't remember the exact ratio. Something like 2 grams per swing weight I believe.

Changing the grip will effect the overall weight, but not the swing weight. Swing weight is based on a 14" fulcrum and how you feel the club head, so adding weight to the 14" to the butt of the shaft will not effect the swing weight feel but instead the overall weight, even though it may reflect differently when calculated

So if you just want a heavier club with the same feel, add it to the grip or underneath

edit 1 - here is a swing weight calculator
Swing Weight Calculator

edit 2 - you can also buy plugs for the end of the shaft, similar to these.
Golfsmith.com: Golfsmith Tour Lock Pro Weight 20 Gram - Golfsmith
Golfsmith.com: Winn Tour Lock Pro Weight 30 Gram - Winn
.. if you add weight to the head, it will not only effect the swing weight but will make the shaft more flexible.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I think the easiest way to experiment is to just tape coins to the back of the club

if you're looking for a more permanent solution, then consider lead tape or lead/tungsten poured down the shaft with a cork

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
find a range with a swingweight scale and put some lead tape on it till you find the weight you like then go measure it. I like it at D6.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
2g added to the head will increase SW 1 point
5g added to the butt will decrease SW 1 point
every 9g increase in shaft weight will increase the SW 1 point
every 9g decrease in shaft weight will decrease the SW 1 point

For steel shafted clubs I use tungston powder and corks to add weight (up to 8g), for graphite I use lead tape, tip weights, or add rat glue to the inside of the head (woods only)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online