• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing Weights

TopMaster

Sep 25, 2021
Country
United States United States
I have a general question about swing weights.. what is the significance.
I recently went on a quest and measured, via the calculators found online, all of the clubs I have presently, including the ones that I used back in the '80s which are sporting stiff shafts. Turns out all of the iron sets and wood clubs, TaylorMade and Callaway, all measure in the mid C's. My TaylorMade driver is C8. All the clubs I was using back in the '80s measured D2 or a little heavier.
So if you were asked to play a round with clubs measuring the mid C's one day, and the next day played a round with clubs measuring the mid D's, what if anything would you be thinking about?
Thanks much for all your thoughts..

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Most of we who play this game for a combination of enjoyment and frustration cannot tell the difference in a couple or three swing weights. Karsten sent almost all the Eye 2's and Eye 2+'s out with C8 or C9 swing weights. Other manufacturers during that time were weighting their irons at D2ish. And, again, you almost had to be a touring pro to tell the difference.
Understand, a different size or brand of grip can change a swing weight a point or two. Drivers have been all over the map. Goldwin drivers were in the E range.
I currently have three sets of irons I rotate through the bag. With lead tape, I have all the irons at D2, except for wedges. Those are at D4. Could I tell the difference in a couple swing weights? Heck no!!! But, in a game that is 90% mental and the other 30% all in your head, I want all mine the same.

OP
T

TopMaster

Sep 25, 2021
Country
Hey limpalong thanks.. Yes it's all very interesting.. You're correct about grips. I bought a set of Big Bertha irons from a guy at work with R shafts. The grips were too skinny for me, so I put some CR2 jumbos on and that is probably the reason for the light swing weights now, avg C5.... I played a round with them, but they just didn't feel right.. didn't do well at all.. (mental?) At the driving range I have to swing them a while to get the feel and get good contact. I could hit the 3-iron 195-200 yds according to the Voice Caddy.. But for some reason on the course, I can't just pick up the 3-iron, take a few practice swings and repeat that..
I have s set of Cobra II's with senior shafts that weigh avg D0, and they 'feel' better.. and they perform better on the course.
I recently picked up a KZG HPS 7 and 8 iron from ebay very reasonably priced, just for something to experiment with and they measured D2 and D3. They feel much better.
My dad, before he passed, made me a set of irons back in the 80's and he said those should be D2's, and they are. I played very well with those. He had an interesting theory, in that he was wondering if irons should be not exactly the same through the set, but rather progressively heavier as the clubs get shorter.. like the 3 iron would be about C9 and the 9 iron would be around D4.. I've noticed that wedges are much heavier.. Which makes sense, since wedges are not usually swung as hard as irons..
Well anyway, got some lead tape coming from Amazon, so we'll see how things go..

Members online

No members online now.