• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swingweight calculator

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Ran across this the other day while thinking of hacking a few inches off my driver. It gives a nice explanation in understanding swingweight, and a calculator to measure your clubs. Seemed pretty accurate to what mine are supposed to be, and as expected, I used midsized cord grips that weigh a little more and they do reflect in the weight, even though it does not actually reflect in the real swing weight.

Interesting that the swingweight in my 3w seems to be off by 7, which has been a real problem club for me, where the grip only appears to be accountable for 1-2 in most of my clubs. Wonder if this will explain why I could never figure out why I tend to hit a pull with that shot and it usually feels pretty wild when I swing it, enough so to take it out of my bag. I thought reshafting would be the way to go, but I will be playing with the weight first. May have saved me about $70-80

I may have to write Ping a letter and see what they have to say about my 3w, I now blame them for f'ing up my psyche with my Fairway woods and specificaly my 3w.

Swing Weight Calculator

edit 1 - What do you think WBL, you think I should try and talk them out of one of the bigger headed Raptures for the hassle? :)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I need to get a digital scale. I would use it for all sorts of weird crap.

Good post, Jayhawk.

R35

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I need to get a digital scale. I would use it for all sorts of weird crap.

R35

My yoo hoo weighs 86 grams. Is that weird enough for you.

I didnt really actually weigh it, but am seriously considering it.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
You drink Yoo Hoo?

That actually explains alot. :D

I'm going to try and track down a digital scale. Where would one shop for one? See, now that's something I'd never look for in a store. This might take some calling around....

R35

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
You drink Yoo Hoo?

That actually explains alot. :D

I'm going to try and track down a digital scale. Where would one shop for one? See, now that's something I'd never look for in a store. This might take some calling around....

R35
I just use a digital one I picked up in a Kitchen store for food. Measures in ozs. and up to about 5.5 lbs and does grams as well.

BTW, interesting while all my 3 FW's are suppose to have a D2 weight, they come out to around D0 because of my grips, as do my other clubs. The 5w and 7w have identical weight, as they stager the head weights. The 3w is 6 to 8 grams lighter with the same type shaft. Hence the C7 weight, wonder what Ping was thinking when they made my club.

edit 1 - here is the one we use, the tray just rest on top, or you don't have to use it. It stores inside the tray and you can Zero out the setting, so you can use anything on top and still start at zero.
Good Cook Digital Scale 33654 at Kitchen Collection

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Adding or removing weight at the butt end of the club will indeed lower the SW on the scale. However this will have little to no effect on clubhead feel. It only fools the scale. This is why backweighting works so well, especially for fast swingers. Build a club to their desired swingweight and then backweight it 20-40g. No need to put it back on the scale becasue the new number doesnt matter. The added weight in the hands will allow the faster player to turn the hands over easier and seems to improve both dispertion and centre face contact on nearly all people tested.
Tim Hewitt at my ostrich has done testing on Backwaeighting with 1000's of players and the results are amazing.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I knew the Grips would reflect on the Swingweight, but because they are within 14" of the end of the club did not actually effect the real swing weight feel of the club. All of my clubs have the same grip and all of those that are supposed to be D2 do in fact show the same swingweight of roughly D0 because of the grip. Although the 3w comes out to C7. Interestingly enough, as I mention the 5 and 7 weigh the same with the same balance point, even though the they have different length shaft. The 3w which is again longer, is 6-8 grams lighter with the same balance point as the other two at 30" from the butt of the shaft. It would appear they missed the boat on this club somewhere along the process.

I will likely just add the needed weight to the head, as the club is 3 years old I doubt Ping would have much to say. Probably the main reason I found the link useful, and will be testing ever club I get from here on out

Interested to see if this fixes my Pull that has only been apparent on this club. I had intended on shortening the club a little possibly as well. It is incrementally longer than the steps between the 5 and 7 wood as well.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country

R35

Office Depot. I just picked up a digital postal scale the other day from them. 11lb scale that measures in lb/oz, Kg, and g. $37. :D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I think we ought to just figure out swingweight using theoretical physics. :D

So there is a use for the recently solved "Lie E8 Puzzle".

Perhaps the "handwritten calculations that would cover Manhattan" can be used to solve the "Tiger Power" question as well?

Members online

No members online now.