• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swingweighting is fun!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
My first try at assembling a club, and I'm learning to appreciate the guys who do this every day.

I wanted to match the swingweight of my current 7i, which is D2. So I dry fitted the head on the shaft, and taped the grip on top of the shaft to account for it's weight.

It swingweighted to something like C2. So I added tip weight to bring the swingweight up to D2.

I assembled the club, and it came out to D3 (grip still taped). WTF??? Oh yeah, forgot to account for the weight of the ferrule and the epoxy. Fortunately, the swingweight kit came with shaft inserts, so I added some weight to get it back to D2.

Now I'm ready, so I put the grip on, and it reads D4! Now I'm really puzzled. The only thing I can figure is that when I was swingweighting without the grip, I had the butt of the club against the stop, and adding the grip changed the fulcrum point enough to add 2 points. Sheesh. So now I have a 7i that reads D4, and has about 15 extra grams of weight that I probably never needed to add.

I'm going to hit it and see what happens, but I see a "do over" in my future.

I'm sure glad I didn't do the whole set at once!:laugh:

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
If your scales are as low as 5g out, or you measured wrong by even 2 or 3 mill, it will effect the reading, its that senstive. My irons are all D4/D5

ps pay a man to do it, FOOL

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
My first try at assembling a club, and I'm learning to appreciate the guys who do this every day.

I wanted to match the swingweight of my current 7i, which is D2. So I dry fitted the head on the shaft, and taped the grip on top of the shaft to account for it's weight.

It swingweighted to something like C2. So I added tip weight to bring the swingweight up to D2.

I assembled the club, and it came out to D3 (grip still taped). WTF??? Oh yeah, forgot to account for the weight of the ferrule and the epoxy. Fortunately, the swingweight kit came with shaft inserts, so I added some weight to get it back to D2.

Now I'm ready, so I put the grip on, and it reads D4! Now I'm really puzzled. The only thing I can figure is that when I was swingweighting without the grip, I had the butt of the club against the stop, and adding the grip changed the fulcrum point enough to add 2 points. Sheesh. So now I have a 7i that reads D4, and has about 15 extra grams of weight that I probably never needed to add.

I'm going to hit it and see what happens, but I see a "do over" in my future.

I'm sure glad I didn't do the whole set at once!:laugh:
That just sounds wrong..."I added weight to decrease swingweight"...not saying it is wrong, just sounds wrong.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
A little tip, Eracer. When you regrip, save one of the old grips and slice it down the length of one side. Fit the sliced grip onto the club your going to swingweight to get and accurate measurement. Dendending on grip style, it may add up to 1/8 inch to your club length. Swingweight with a slit grip will get you that extra length and accurate grip weight in the correct location for accurate swingweighting.

I have quite a few slit grips of different styles in a drawer for just such a purpose. I have even gone to the extent of buying and slitting a new grip of the the same model so that I can get accurate swingweight numbers. I have cheated and used a different model grip if it weighs the same as the grip about to be put on, but I normally try and have a split grip of the model I am going to be using.

Fun stuff, eh? :laugh:

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
If your scales are as low as 5g out, or you measured wrong by even 2 or 3 mill, it will effect the reading, its that senstive. My irons are all D4/D5

ps pay a man to do it, FOOL
So what you're saying is that if a girly-man like you can hit a D4, a big strong cowboy like me should have no problem?

Seriously - if I was dealing with a $100 graphite shaft, I would. But I like a challenge, and it makes sense to learn how to mess around with irons.
That just sounds wrong..."I added weight to decrease swingweight"...not saying it is wrong, just sounds wrong.
Yeah, it does sound weird. Maybe they should call it swingbalance..:laugh:

A little tip, Eracer. When you regrip, save one of the old grips and slice it down the length of one side. Fit the sliced grip onto the club your going to swingweight to get and accurate measurement. Dendending on grip style, it may add up to 1/8 inch to your club length. Swingweight with a slit grip will get you that extra length and accurate grip weight in the correct location for accurate swingweighting.

I have quite a few slit grips of different styles in a drawer for just such a purpose. I have even gone to the extent of buying and slitting a new grip of the the same model so that I can get accurate swingweight numbers. I have cheated and used a different model grip if it weighs the same as the grip about to be put on, but I normally try and have a split grip of the model I am going to be using.

Fun stuff, eh? :laugh:
Excellent suggestion. I had thought about just cutting the solid part of the grip end off and gluing it to the inside of the holder. Your idea is much better, since it allows for the variability in grip size.

It is fun! I think it's going to be a while before I delve into graphite. I can screw up all day long with steel shafts and steel heads and not worry about it. A $100 graphite shaft, on the other hand...not yet. Some day though.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
When you want to get into graphite shafts, do yourself a favor and get a JB hydraulic puller. I'm Mclovin' the stress free pulls now.

Club making is fun, isn't it?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
"So what you're saying is that if a girly-man like you can hit a D4, a big strong cowboy like me should have no problem"

Big and strong as in Brokeback Mountain?

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
"So what you're saying is that if a girly-man like you can hit a D4, a big strong cowboy like me should have no problem"

Big and strong as in Brokeback Mountain?
Yeah, the DVD you've worn out...

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
When you want to get into graphite shafts, do yourself a favor and get a JB hydraulic puller. I'm Mclovin' the stress free pulls now.

Club making is fun, isn't it?
McLovin'...lol

I thought about getting one. Here's what's on my wish list:

Shaft puller
Shaft analyzer
MOI Analyzer
Hot rod
Compressor
Drill press
Chop saw
Loft/Lie gauge
Loft/Lie adjuster
Launch monitor

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah - a NEW HOUSE WITH A GARAGE SO I CAN HAVE A WORKSHOP BIG ENOUGH FOR ALL THIS CRAP!

Some learnin' would be good too.:laugh:

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Loft/lie adjusters will cost more than a new garage
I'm already thinking of prostituting myself to pay for all this stuff. Then I'll be a real "ho daddy"

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.