• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tablet PC's

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Anyone out there own one?

Not really asking for recommendations, I think I have a grasp on what I would get and the technical side. I was thinking of getting one of these for mainly browsing the web and a light alternative for when I travel and want a laptop around. My main PC now is a Desktop Replacement Laptop. All fine and dandy but at around 12 pounds, I have maybe used the thing on my lap a couple times in several years.

The main question for anyone who has one is how easy is it to browse the web without the keyboard and just using the stylus? Granted posting on this forum may be a stretch with all the typing.

Simply put, can I prop my ass in the couch and do what I need, or is it just kind of a PITA and do you usually opt for the keyboard anyways? Kinda like my PSP, it has built in wireless, but browsing the web is any short of a PITA with trying to type out the sites.

clemsonhacker

uncle sam's slave
Aug 15, 2006
i have a tablet..details to come tommorrow... i love it by the way.. but mine has a small key board

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Why wouldn't you just get a smaller laptop?
A few reasons. Probably the main one is that I do a bit of Photo Editing and even have a Wacom Tablet for my laptop, this would simply take it to the next level and much easier to get the work done by being able to lay the sylus accross the work as opposed to trial and error. There are also times where the text recognition would come in handy where you do not want to disturb people by clacking away at the keyboard. It would also easily set up for expanding monitor should I need which comes in handy while programming, without taking up the full footprint of a laptop as I have manage to set my workstation into a pretty small area at this point. Then finally it just seems the tablet may be a little more conducive to browsing the web or reading books and such while sitting around on the couch.

The cost difference is really negligible to me for the ability to be able to do what I mentioned. While you can not really load up the features like you can on say my desktop replacement, that is not really a concern of mine.

So while I am not sure the features I mention would really justify my really wanting another laptop. If it will work O.K. for hanging around on the couch, I could see picking one up. On the flip side, as mentioned in the original note, I have never really been happy with using a laptop on my lap while typing. I would likely rather just go to a desk at that point. Simply put, weighing my needs there is really no question that if I get another laptop it will be a tablet, although somethings can not easily be weighed out in my mind with logic like its ease of use as a browser. Kinda don't know unless you experience that part.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Oh c'mon PA... you are a gadget Ho and you know it... you know you want it... :laugh:

brendy

Oct 20, 2007
Bear in mind that virtually all tablet pcs are miles behind on spec cpu wise etc. So they will be virtually useless with any sucessing operating systems.
Tablet pcs have a version of windows that can produce a keyboard onscreen so the handwriting reconition is only sometimes applicable.
Battery life is so so as is the sensetivity of the touchscreen, im not convinced that it would make an excellent replacement for a decent notebook with an external high res tablet.
Hope that helps.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Oh c'mon PA... you are a gadget Ho and you know it... you know you want it... :laugh:
Yeah, this is my way of justifying it though after buying the XBOX 360 last month because my desktop replacement "Just doesn't quite have the same kick that it used too" Why not get a smaller tablet since it's small and I no longer need a laptop for games.:laugh:

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Bear in mind that virtually all tablet pcs are miles behind on spec cpu wise etc. So they will be virtually useless with any sucessing operating systems.
Tablet pcs have a version of windows that can produce a keyboard onscreen so the handwriting reconition is only sometimes applicable.
Battery life is so so as is the sensetivity of the touchscreen, im not coninced that it would make n excellent replacement for a decent notebook with abn external high res tablet.
Thanks, I am aware. It is more or less a supplement to my desktop replacement, not a replacement. Actually the screen size in itself would be enough to eliminate any thought of replacing my laptop. I feel somewhat subdued by the 15.4" screen on my laptop, yet do not really have the space to get a bigger LCD. This will actually help with that issue in having dual monitors for certain tasks.

Or as MGP so eloquently put it, you're talking to the guy that has both a GPS and a Range Finder in his golf bag, as well as a separate GPS for "on foot" and a Navagation system for the car. I guess I believe in the theory that there are power in numbers.:)

🔥 Latest posts