• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Taking out the 3I?

Garrett

Sep 15, 2006
I am thinking about taking out the 3I for a while to replace it with a 60* so I can have 4 wedges PW,52,56,60. What do you guys think? I hardly ever hit my 3I anyway. I got a 19 degree hybrid that I can use 220-230. I can hit my 4I 195 in the air. I am thinking the 3I doesnt need to be in the bag. If I came to a 210 yard par 3 pin in the front though I would be between clubs though. Any suggestions?

big mike

Aug 20, 2006
FWIW, I've been noticing a lot of new irons sets lately that don't even include a 3-iron.

Personally, I'd hate to be without, because I use mine a lot, but if you never need to then I would go ahead and dump it.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I play 2 hybrid, 3 hybrid, skip the 4, 5 hybrid, with a PW 52, 56 and 60.

Definitely get rid of the 3 IRON. That isn't even a question in my mind. If it were a 3 hybrid you were getting rid of, that would make it a more difficult decision.

If you really can hit your 4 that far, and do it even semi-consistently, then I don't even see a gap. For your theoretical 210 par 3, pin in front, the pin is at about 200. Hit the 4. If the pin is in the back, roughly 220, hit the hybrid. If it's middle, 210, then hit the hybrid also. Give it a chance to go in and putt back to the stick.

If you do any reading at all of Wishon and set makeup, one should damn near always take the long irons out of the bag. Either entirely, or swap them for hybrids or FW woods.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
When I bought my rac OS2's, I bought 4-pw. Going hybrid between the 4 iron and the 3 wood.

Dump it.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
7 wood, dude. Don't let any of these hybrid "ladies" tell you otherwise.;)

R35

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
My sarcasm doesn't escape you, hey? :D

Vijay still carries one. It's actually a 9 wood bent to 7 wood loft. Nuff said.

R35
Doesn't escape me, and makes me smile...keep it coming, my friend.

Buddy of mine plays a 7 because he can't hit the no-name hybrid he bought...he hits it well.

I just picked up a $40 Adams A2 20* so I could try them...we'll see next range trip. If I can't hit it, I'll be raiding his bag!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I can't hit a hybrid to save my life. I can hit my 7 wood pretty well. The shaft in it sucks, but that's gonna change soon enough.

It's nice because you can hit it from just about anywhere. The tee, the deck, heavy grass....the parking lot....;)

Call me a woman for using it, when the scores get added, let's see who wears the skirt.:D

R35

kiwi

Kiwi Club Ho
Aug 20, 2005
Yeah mate ditch the 3 iron, I 3 of them here in mint condition. They never even make it into the bag

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
when in bought my MX23's i just ordered them 4-PW. Still debating whether i shoulda gone 5-PW... LOL... i suck!

🔥 Latest posts