• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tale of 2 9's

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I haven't played in about 2weeks, went up to Triggs today to test out my swing changes. Had to play the back 9 first, par 37. Started out by yanking a drive left on a 513yd. par 5 and then topping a 6iron from the roots and hardpan into the rough. From 210 out of the rough I hit a 3iron to 3ft. and made birdie. I hit 5/9 greens and shot +3 on the back. Could have easily been even as I had 17 putts and made a bogey from 180 out on a par 5 and par on another from the front fringe in 2.

Then came the front. Started out with a massive hooked 3w against a wall. Punched out across into the right rough and then $hanked a 7iron. Triple. Parred the long 2nd hole and then yanked a drive OB left on the 3rd. It was brutal. On the short 327yd. 5th I bombed a cut but it still found LR. Hit it over the bunker and into the backside bunker. From there I went bunker to bunker and made a double.

Hit no GIR on the front and shot 48 on the par 35. I have no idea what happened. Back to the range again I guess.

I had a "fear" that it was a little too soon into my changes to play. I guess I should take todays round with a grain of salt. The back is more difficult than the front by a lot. My full swing, even with mistakes, was easily good enough to play it scratch with a little short game touch up. I think on the front I got out of my routine a little bit. Started setting up to hit draws on a few holes when I know that's not my shot anymore. I hit all cuts on the back, some went almost dead straight but still were hit from an open stance.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Yeah, that's about what I'm talking about. I just don't understand how I went from basically fecking up and shooting +3 to just a massacre out front. How can I hit a 3i to 3ft, then another to 12ft. and not hit the broadside of a barn with an 80yd. SW an hour later? I hit into a bunch of bunkers on the front as well and played miserably out of them. Sad thing is I should have recovered. I belted drives on a par 4 and a par 5 that resulted in +3. Still, I'm happy with the direction the swing is going. At least it seemed to hold up for 9 holes.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
Last Sunday

Front 9 +1, +2, +2, +2, +2, +2, +2, +3,+3 39/36

Back 9 +3, +3, +3, +3, +3, +3, +7, +10, +14 47/36

My low round to date is 83. On the 16th hole I hit my tee shot under a small bush. Too stupid to take an unplayable, I decided I was good enough to just chip it out into the fairway left handed. Three shots later .... after that it was all downhill.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
I just don't understand how I went from basically fecking up and shooting +3 to just a massacre out front. How can I hit a 3i to 3ft, then another to 12ft. and not hit the broadside of a barn with an 80yd. SW an hour later?

If you are anything like me, as soon as you start to expect good shots, they go away. It's a lack of focus, and I think it plagues all golfers. Watch the guys on TV; how many of them get sloppy with a wedge from 140, but can stick a 5i from 210? Sometimes the harder shots are easier.

90% of this game is half mental.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
That has something to do with for sure. When I hit those 3i's and basically all my shots on the back, I set up just like I do at the range and do a little "1 piece" takeaway drill before I hit it. No practice swing. On the front I kind of got out of doing that, especially on the shorter shots. When I set up correctly, even my misses were good. I totally blocked a 7i thin but still hit the green pin high 10ft. away, just on the side of the hole where it was lightening fast downhill. My only 3putt of the day BTW. Sadly I shot +3 with 17 putts and then +13 with 13 putts. Yes, striking went to all hell.

I have to admit that I played very agressive after the 1st triple. On a shorter par 5 I took dead aim over a bunker way out there, supposed to be a dogleg. I carried it but then was in the rough and tried to hit a 3i over the trees to the green. I really should have layed up to 110. I was trying to force a lot of shots. Trying to drive a 327yd. par 4 and just got too damn close right behind a bunker. It wouldn't have been an issue with 5W and a full GW or 3i and full PW.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I can have a GREAT round going, but as soon as I allow myself to even think I'm playing good the wheels come off. I was +4 after 8 holes the other day, realized it and ended up +18 at the end of the round, :dead:

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I tried not to think but the brain wouldn't stop. I didn't add it up but it's not hard to figure what 1 birdie, 4 bogies and 4 pars equals.
icon10.gif
On the bad side I was adding and planning. "if can birdie one of the next 3 and par 2 of them..." meanwhile I yank a drive OB or block a short SW over into the back edge of a deep bunker.

🔥 Latest posts