• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

tall golfer question...

phatheadaf

Jul 20, 2008
So I'm 6'3", and I have been playing seriously for about 3 years. I begun to have a dedicated practice routine each week. Today in my practice session I found myself really hitting the ball consistently well by taking a deeper knee bend.

Anybody else, that is a taller player find themself hitting the ball better by taking a deeper knee bend? It feels awkward, but seemed to be effective.

Any thoughts on this?

A.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
i don't think you should have to stand any differently with the proper fitted clubs.

OP
phatheadaf

phatheadaf

Jul 20, 2008
... but for some reason, the deeper knee bend kept my back swing flatter and and enabled me to really strike down on the ball w/o fear of catching it fat or clipping it...

A.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
It does sound like you are custom fitting YOURSELF to your clubs. Usually you should have your clubs custom-fit to YOU.

Also, the correct amount of knee bend would depend on how little knee bend you had before. Impossible to tell without vids/pics.

But if it works for you and you shoot lower scores, just do it.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
It does sound like you are custom fitting YOURSELF to your clubs. Usually you should have your clubs custom-fit to YOU.

Also, the correct amount of knee bend would depend on how little knee bend you had before. Impossible to tell without vids/pics.

But if it works for you and you shoot lower scores, just do it.

Nice recognition, Auggie. I was going to state that "deeper" is not a quantified statement because it is relative to what he was doing before. I knew I could count on you ;)

You do want a comfortable, healthy bend in your knees. As long as your comfortable swinging the way you are, with whatever your knee bend is, AND if the results are great, stay with it!

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
I'm 6'2"...dont feel like I bend anymore that the 5'7" or the 5'10" guys I play with all of the time.....just different swings for different players. Maybe I do, but no one has ever said anything to be about it.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Another 6'2" golfer here, and I play standard length. It isn't how tall you are, but your wrist to floor measurement that dictates if you need over or under length.

Someone will be along soon with a link to a chart that will help you out.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I'm 6'2"...dont feel like I bend anymore that the 5'7" or the 5'10" guys I play with all of the time.....just different swings for different players. Maybe I do, but no one has ever said anything to be about it.

You may not feel like you have more knee bend but in fact you may. I am also 6'3" and have struggled the last few years with my irons, they used to be my strong point. At the beginning of this season I mad some hefty changes, one going from and interlocking to overlapping grip. This has seemed to help me not release the club early, its still a work in progress though.

The other is my knee bend. I took a lesson from Ernie Els. If you watch him at address, almost 100% of the time the last move he makes before starting the cub back is a knee bend with both knees. I started doing it, feeling just the slightest amount of tension in my hamstrings and it has seemed to help.

Take this with a grain of salt but I have tried longer clubs, upright lies etc. I now play my clubs 1/4" over standard and feel like I am choking down, it may be that now i just have the proper grip-but it feels to me like I am choking down. I also do the Knee bend that Ernied does before he swings.

This is a good video of him swinging. Not that I was checking out his legs, but with his white pants you can actually see the silohette of his knees at address. Just watch the first :20 and you will see what I am talking about including the knee bend right before he swings.
YouTube - Ernie Els saves par on 14th hole to win at Doral 2010

OP
phatheadaf

phatheadaf

Jul 20, 2008
@ Big Jim

That's a great video. If notice though, to me it seems that earn really takes a more deep knee bend, and I notice that Vijay does the same thing. I'm starting to think that I may have been standing too tall along...

Also, I have had my clubs custom fit, and I play a 1/2" above standard on all clubs except for the 4 and 3 Iron. Those are standard, as are the wedges. Though I did struggle tonight with my Iron play at my league play. I was fat or thin everywhere, except w/ the driver, and my short game got me around. So I'm not sure if my new swing change abandoned me or what...

What does the sleave to the floor measurement tell you about club length? Can somebody elaborate on that?

A.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
@ Big Jim

That's a great video. If notice though, to me it seems that earn really takes a more deep knee bend, and I notice that Vijay does the same thing. I'm starting to think that I may have been standing too tall along...

Also, I have had my clubs custom fit, and I play a 1/2" above standard on all clubs except for the 4 and 3 Iron. Those are standard, as are the wedges. Though I did struggle tonight with my Iron play at my league play. I was fat or thin everywhere, except w/ the driver, and my short game got me around. So I'm not sure if my new swing change abandoned me or what...

What does the sleave to the floor measurement tell you about club length? Can somebody elaborate on that?

A.

It's a measurement that tells you, kinda, what your lie angle should be. There are fitting charts that give you an idea based on that measurement and that is what online fitting is based on. But going by that is not always the best way or the correct way. The best way is to put some impact tape on the sole of the club and hit off a board of some sort. Others will tell you to look at your divot, if its deeper at the toe or heel you need an adjustment. I don't know if that would work all to well, I mean do you carry a ruler with you? Unless its drastic I doubt you would notice. There are others on the board who are more experienced with fitting that I, mine has mostly been through trial and error, more error than than trial it feels-LOL.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.