• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Taylor Made Complete Set for Beginner

S

solodelux

I'm a beginner looking to purchase all Taylor Made clubs. I need a set of irons,
3wood, 5wood, and driver. I'm leaning towards the Rac OS2 irons, rescue fairway woods, and either the r5 or r7 driver.

Couple questions from a beginners view:

1.) Do I go steel or graphite?
2.) Do I go flex, stiff, or reg?
3.) On the driver...I was told I should get the R5 (N) driver. But which loft? (8.5, 9.5, 10.5) no clue on this one!

Any suggestions, help, links, would be of much help!
Thanks

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
The start is easy. Graphite in your woods and steel in the irons.

Now the hard part. Without knowing handicap, swing speed and ball flight tendancies I can't suggest anything further.

OP
S

solodelux

Sorry about that guys...
I'm 6ft, 160lbs, med swing speed. Pretty much have the golf basics down but have trouble getting the ball high and long. I also tend to have a pretty nasty slice to the right...but I've been told I'm hitting the ball with an open face.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Obagain.......when are you going to be selling those used clubs?

I'm thinking that a used set of name brand clubs for beginners would be a huge market.....we get alot of these guy's all looking for club reccomendations....sell them a set of pings or something to get them started.

SOLODELUX......Welcome to the board!

As you just saw, we get this question all the time, every golf board does. If you are a begginer you probably don't want to drop a grand on a new set of irons with an R7 thrown. The Tommy Armor 845's is what we usually reccomend to a beginner. Good quality iron set for like $200. Otherwise think about something used from our friend obagain, ebay or the like.

The slice is another matter entirely. To fix that you need lessons. Get your swing corrected and theoretically the slice goes away. Until then get a driver with a closed face (ask your sales rep). this will help some but is not a cure, believe me....I know alot about this. :D

Most important thing is to have fun!

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
solodelux said:
...have trouble getting the ball high and long. I also tend to have a pretty nasty slice to the right...
Welcome Solo, looks like you're gonna fit right in. [grin]

longiron

May 2, 2005
solodelux said:
Sorry about that guys...
I'm 6ft, 160lbs, med swing speed. Pretty much have the golf basics down but have trouble getting the ball high and long. I also tend to have a pretty nasty slice to the right...but I've been told I'm hitting the ball with an open face.
i can tell you that the R7 is not the driver for you. if you want to go with OEM driver or without lessons try to find one with offset. Cobra makes a great diver and im drawing a blank on anyothers but someone here will know. As far as iron go calloway is made for you. My buddy just got a used set of big berthas and hit a PW a mile high and long. I thought it hit a 747 passing overhead in the next state

OP
S

solodelux

Everyone, Thank You for the information!

CybrSlicr

Aug 30, 2004
Was there a specific reason you wanted Taylor Mades?

As for club recommendations, if this is your first set of clubs, don't go too expensive. Look for some bargains (as others have said). Looking at the Golf Warehouse (www.tgw.com), I see the following:

Cleveland TA-5 Iron Set - 3 thru PW - $299
Taylor Made R360XD Ti Driver - graphite - $99
Taylor Made Rescue Fairway 3 and 5 Woods - graphite - $119 each

For $640, you have a decent set of new clubs to start learning the game with. I have had nothing but good luck with The Golf Warehouse (www.tgw.com), and I will continue to order from them.

You can always look at ebay and find some new and used clubs there as well. If you can find them, I purchased a set of Taylor Made 360XD irons (3 thru PW) last season for $299 from www.tgw.com. If you can find them on ebay for that price, they are a decent club (I am happy with them).

All you need right now are decent clubs (find bargains where you can) and put the extra money into lessons. You will get many more benefits from the lessons.

I hope that helps...

Members online

No members online now.