• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Taylor Made TP Red Ball - cracked up!!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
So I was playing recently in a competition with one of the new TP Reds acquired during a recent trip to the US. I had done a bit of background reading about this ball (a lot of TM staff players have switched from ProV1) so I was very curious. I found it quite a nice ball actually, until I reached the 16th hole. My first putt from 15ft came up about 3-4 feet short. It sort of felt dead. I marked the ball and on examination I found a decent sized crack across the ball.

It was a new ball (only 16 holes old) so I was fairly shocked :shocked:

I can't recall doing anything unusual in any of the previous few shots. I hit a driver, 6 iron into the green and both seemed to go OK. I can only imagine the second shot did the damage.

So anyway, I sent the aforementioned ball with the sleeve it was purchased in to the UK Taylor Made people along with a note of explanation.

Hey Presto, 3 days later a note of apology arrived along with a sleeve of 3 new TP Reds. (Secretly I was holding out for a dozen!!) Anyway the European Customer Services Manager said he was sending the ball directly to the US R&D division (yeah right, I'll bet he chucked it in the bin!!).

So how has anyone else found this ball? And do you think 3 balls compensation is adequate?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Dick's had a sale on last years ($29/doz) so I bought a couple doz and have been playing them. Not a bad ball! I still like the Srixon ZUR-S much better but these are working okay. And no cracked balls.... yet. I probably don't hit them hard enough... :D

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'm waiting for the "I hit a 375yd. drive... with a little help from the cart path" thread.
icon10.gif

A dozen would have been nice but I suppose 3 is a "fair" replacement. I found one a few weeks ago and have played it for the last 2 rounds. Other than a little scuff from a full blast SW from a bunker, it's in pretty good shape. Also I hit the longest drive I've ever hit on #17 at Triggs with it. Carrying in wet conditions to 140 out, about 30ft. uphill from 412. Also reached in 2 on 13 driver/3i which is 462 and even more uphill. The previous round I reached 512 with driver/5W and put driver/3W to 10yds. away from 570, tee shot is way downhill and must have carried well over 300. Although the approach was slightly uphill and the sprikler ahead of my ball said 271. That's about 260 off the deck with the TEE, smoked.

I'm impressed by the length. I seem to be hitting it longer than ProV's and spin off irons is better. I backed up 2 8i's from 145. It also feels pretty soft off the wedges. I know it's probably mostly mental but I just feel like I can throw it like a beanbag around the greens. Spin must be better as it's not releasing like I'd expect from a ProV.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I just feel like I can throw it like a beanbag around the greens. Spin must be better as it's not releasing like I'd expect from a ProV.

TP Red or TP Black? I think the black spins more and the red is more like the ProV1x. I got a box or red and black, will unfurl the black when the course firms up.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
TP Red or TP Black? I think the black spins more and the red is more like the ProV1x. I got a box or red and black, will unfurl the black when the course firms up.

I thought it was the other way round? Reading the box it says the blacks are for high spin players and the Red low spin players?

anyway I play the Blacks and love them. They do only last a round before being put into the practice bag but so do Pro V's.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006

Red. As I recall they are opposite of what I thought, meaning the red is more like the 1x? I did seem to get a little lower ballflight and more roll off the driver than usual with it. Still, spin around the greens seemed to be more. Both rounds I was not getting the release like I'd expected. This was noticable on 15-30yd. pitch shots and especially bunker shots. I kind of like that feature if I could get used to it, would allow for a little more agressive play. I'm a proponent of using a more agressive swing whenever possible. It's easier for me to hit it harder in any situation than it is to dial it down.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I thought it was the other way round? Reading the box it says the blacks are for high spin players and the Red low spin players?

I interpret this as meaning "If I want more spin, I play black. If I want less spin, I play red." It is a little vague, though.

horstmc

Nov 14, 2006
I think they swapped the colour system around for the 08 balls.
helpful!

It has gotten confusing. At the risk of confusing you more;

With the 2008 versions, the black spins more than the red. However, the red has a softer feel than the black. The red is a 4 piece ball (like the current ProV1x). The black is a three piece ball (like the current ProV1). Clear as mud.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I thought the ProV1x was higher spin. And the TP Red higher spin. :D

Which brings up another question. On the ZUR-S what does the S stand for? On the B330-S the S stands for soft I think. Anyway, there's always some confustion so maybe the experts in here should tell us the difference of these balls:

Nike Black
Nike Platinum

B330
B330-S

ZUR-S
ZUR-C

ProV1
ProV1x

TP Black
TP Red

:D

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I'll answer my own question with the help of Golf magazines testing...

Nike Black 12,431 rpm
Nike Platinum slightly higher spin 13,451 rpm

B330 slightly higher spin 12,137 rpm
B330-S 11,866 rpm

ZUR-S 12,137 rpm
ZUR-C slightly higher spin 12,250 rpm

ProV1 11,914 rpm
ProV1x Higher spin 12,299 rpm

TP Black slightly higher spin 12,062 rpm
TP Red 11,872 rpm

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Those differences are so miniscule between balls within a brand. WBL, any chance you could make copies of that article and send it to me via USPS? I've contacted Golf Mag about getting me a copy, but they're all morons over there and "can't locate the issue".

🔥 Latest posts