• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Taylor Made TP Red Ball - cracked up!!

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
Agreed 100%. I though it was a shit ball. Just didn't like the feel at all.
Yeah I thought it was going to be my new ball but I got rid of them on ebay. No way was I going to play that ball, it felt and sounded like a rock compared to a Titleist x-out DT SO LO.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
We were talking about the Maxfli Tour Fire. Are you talking about the Taylormade Burner TP?

I'll probably pick up a sleeve. Just to see if they are like the Tour Fire.

I got a $25 gift certificate to SportChek so I'll probably buy a dozen of their ProV1 experienced balls. I'm really liking the Nike Ignites though. Felt solid everywhere.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
We were talking about the Maxfli Tour Fire. Are you talking about the Taylormade Burner TP?

I got a $25 gift certificate to SportChek so I'll probably buy a dozen of their ProV1 experienced balls. I'm really liking the Nike Ignites though. Felt solid everywhere.
I haven't tried the Burner TP yet, but I'd like to. I just bought a dozen Gamers instead of Burner TP's, just because the Gamers were next on my list to try (and I love the D2-Distance.)

I tried the Nike Power Distance Power Soft (whew...) and thought it was a good ball. I like the D2 better, though.

I tried the Tour Fire and thought it was junk. Let us know what your opinion of it is relative to the Tour Fire.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
Alright, let me know what you think of the Gamers. It seems we have the same taste. Loved the distance, liked the PowerSoft, hate the Tour Fire. I want to try the gamers and freaks but GolfTown is still trying to clear out all the Distance/Feel/Straight.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Alright, let me know what you think of the Gamers. It seems we have the same taste. Loved the distance, liked the PowerSoft, hate the Tour Fire. I want to try the gamers and freaks but GolfTown is still trying to clear out all the Distance/Feel/Straight.
I know - I was at Edwin Watts and paid $20 for a dozen Gamers. Walked past a bin full of D2-Distance 15-packs and should've bought 'em all. That really is a great ball, and an amazing value.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I'll jump in on the golf ball debate as it seems I also have very similar tastes.

I tried the Tour Fires last year and at first I liked them. That was when the weather was nice and course soft and green. Mid-summer, I played a round and hit a Tour Fire side-by-side with a D2 Feel. No comparison. I scuffed the cover of the Tour Fire just hitting some bare, fairly hard spots on the fairway! I also hit the D2 Feels about 1/2 a club farther on almost every club, about 5-10 yards farther with my driver. About the only thing I liked about the Tour Fires was that I could spin the heck out of them, I'm sure because of the sofffffft cover. I figure maybe since I don't have John Daly's swing speed that's why Tour Fires aren't for me.

I picked up a dozen Gamers about a month ago also. I haven't been able to play with them yet but I have been chipping and putting with them. Better spin off wedges than the D2 Feel and they feel solid off the putter face. I suspect I am really going to like them, kinda like a D2 Feel on steroids. I'm planning to hit the little executive course and practice range a few times this next week like I do every spring to tune up my game. I will be playing the new Acer XP905 Pro irons I just built and I think I'll play the Gamers to get a good feel for them.

I found a D2 Distance ball on the course earlier this year. Like new and not a mark on it. I played it for a round in late March with YG and I have to say I was really surprised. It was long and straight, putted well and I even got some reasonable spin with it. I really expected it to be a rock with a hard cover but it wasn't. I think it's going to be my "windy day" gamer for the days here when we get those 25-35mph winds and I need to keep the ball low with not too much spin.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I found a D2 Distance ball on the course earlier this year. Like new and not a mark on it. I played it for a round in late March with YG and I have to say I was really surprised. It was long and straight, putted well and I even got some reasonable spin with it. I really expected it to be a rock with a hard cover but it wasn't. I think it's going to be my "windy day" gamer for the days here when we get those 25-35mph winds and I need to keep the ball low with not too much spin.
Good review MGP. I think my word for the D2-Distance is "Shocking." A ball that only costs $1.00 and has that kind of performance? I still can't believe it.

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007

Yeah sorry I was talking about the Burner TP, I hated them personally. I didn't like the solid feel. Went to Nevada Bob's today and now they carry Srixon's so I think I'll try them.

swartzd

Nov 29, 2006
i have to explain this to 8 ppl a day.....

the red is the 1x

the black is like the regular ProV.
Not in my experience, at least with the 2007 models. The red is not as firm as the black, just like the pro v1 is not as firm as the prov1x. The black flies higher too.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.