• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Taylor Made TP Red Ball - cracked up!!

Calhoun

Jul 30, 2007
Can anyone on here honestly say that they can tell the difference between two chosen balls of the same brand and of the same quality if I white out the name.

I practice a couple of times a week and I can tell you difference between, say a Pro V and Top Flite XL. I go to the range once or twice a week on my lunch hour, play nine holes once a week after work and usually play 36 holes on the weekend and I know I can't tell the difference between a pro v1 and a pro v 1x if my life depended on it. I could care less what brand it is as long as it is a 3 or 4 piece ball Pro V1, V1x, TP red or black, B330, etc.

I must be doing something wrong.

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
^^^ I can tell the difference between the Pro V1 and the Pro V1x just because the x feels so much dang harder off the face then the Pro V1.

fredcouplesfan

bring da lulz
Jun 4, 2005
You think a pro v1x is hard, hit the new callaway ix. Might as well hit a rock!!! Im done with all callaway balls, nothing but Bridgestone from now on.

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
^^ Yeah even with their Pro V1 technology they can't make a ball as good as Titleist with Callaway's materials. :D

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i have to explain this to 8 ppl a day.....

the red is the 1x

the black is like the regular ProV.

otakueric

shottalk newbie :)
Apr 13, 2008
red has more spin, and for people with slower swing speeds, tp red is the #1 ball, if your ss is closer to 115 then it is to 95 then you start to see more improvements with players balls like pro v1s and one plats.

the thing about taylormade is that they are pretty much ditching the maxli umbrella in which they produced balls under cause they cant justify $40 noodles -- and came out with tp reds/blacks and the tm burners -- and the reason that they are so popular and hit so well is because they are designed for the average joe, so when we see a dozen balls at $40 we think theyre good, we play with them and lo and behold we are spinning it back, and driving it further then we did with pro v1s...

very clever marketing.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
Yup, its standard procedure to give a sleeve of balls for a cracked golf ball. I have had that experience with both TM and Callaway. I have given a hard bargain for a dozen both times, but its not in their power to give that(usually when they say that its BS but i believe them)

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
So is the TM Burner a relabelled Maxfli Tour Fire?

I absolutely hate the Tour Fire. Scuffs like a hell. From 3 quarter 9 irons. It was horrendous.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
So is the TM Burner a relabelled Maxfli Tour Fire?

I absolutely hate the Tour Fire. Scuffs like a hell. From 3 quarter 9 irons. It was horrendous.
Agreed 100%. I though it was a shit ball. Just didn't like the feel at all.

swartzd

Nov 29, 2006
Haven't played the '08 versions but have both the Red and Black '07's. LOVE the reds. They have a slightly softer feel and lower flight than the blacks. Both spin well on the green. Paid $19.98/doz. (got some at Target and some Reds from Golfsmith unboxed as overruns). Contrary to some posters, I've found the reds to be amazingly durable.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.