• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Taylor Made Tp versions, what's the difference?

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
hey guys,

I noticed that the TP version of Taylor Made drivers are a bit more expensive. What's the difference between the regular and the TP version? the shaft?

Reason I asked is because the non TP versions is priced at 250 right now.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Taylormade has a lot of info on thier site. The shaft, square to open face, more weights for the MWT clubs, CG closer to face. They are a player geared head and come with shafts that would be more expensive aftermarket than anything any other company has available.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Others here (especially the hos) are better suited to answer this questions, but I think generally, the non-TP stuff might have slightly closed faces to help Joe Average square the club

The stock shafts in the TPs are more expensive, but if they don't fit your swing, they're no better than the non-TP stock shafts

I play a high launch shaft (proLaunch blue) so I wouldn't be helped by a low launching TP shaft

There are some other differences too - the r5 for example, the TP model has adjustable weights, while the non-TP has them glued in and fixed

big differences = price, face angle, and shaft

OP
Johnny Par

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
Others here (especially the hos) are better suited to answer this questions, but I think generally, the non-TP stuff might have slightly closed faces to help Joe Average square the club

The stock shafts in the TPs are more expensive, but if they don't fit your swing, they're no better than the non-TP stock shafts

I play a high launch shaft (proLaunch blue) so I wouldn't be helped by a low launching TP shaft

There are some other differences too - the r5 for example, the TP model has adjustable weights, while the non-TP has them glued in and fixed

big differences = price, face angle, and shaft

interesting points. I currently play an r5 neutral (with a Proluanuch Blue shaft which I love) and have a tendency to hook so i guess the slightly closed face on non TP wouldn't be a good fit for me.

But from reading the TM website, it looks like I can move the weight to the toe which would prmote a fade.

Also, for the guys that have played both the R7 and SuperQuad, are you notiving that much of a difference?
again from the website, it looks as though the QuperQuad offers more workability with varying launch angles. For me though, as a beginner, I am looking for max. forgiveness, so I guess the R7 would suit me better.

Thanks for the replies guys.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Superquad is more forgiving, larger sweet spot. R7425 would be the middle ground. Neither is really that forgiving and unless a player wants the ability to shape shots, I'd actaully say go for a different head. The R7TP line, from quad to superquad, should only be used by low cap, high ballspeed, shotshaping ballstrikers. Too many guys try to use these things when the reality is you should probably have the ability to rip off 50 perfect ones in a row with one ballmark to really see the benefits.

OP
Johnny Par

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
Superquad is more forgiving, larger sweet spot. R7425 would be the middle ground. Neither is really that forgiving and unless a player wants the ability to shape shots, I'd actaully say go for a different head. The R7TP line, from quad to superquad, should only be used by low cap, high ballspeed, shotshaping ballstrikers. Too many guys try to use these things when the reality is you should probably have the ability to rip off 50 perfect ones in a row with one ballmark to really see the benefits.

Thanks Ezra. I will definitely stay clear of the TP verions as my only goal in driver is to hit the ball straight. :laugh:

Such a decision, I mean, it's not like I don't like my R5. I hit it great so I don't know why all of the sudden I am thinking about the R7 and SuperQuad.

I think I might be coming down with something, feel a little dizzy...:laugh:

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I currently play an r5 neutral (with a Proluanuch Blue shaft which I love) and have a tendency to hook so i guess the slightly closed face on non TP wouldn't be a good fit for me.

I'm actually playing the same driver with a stiff shaft and cut down a bit to length. my mishits with the driver are usually a hook too

Do you know your swingspeed? you might hook if the shaft is too flexible

also, that particular driver might be a little more closed than another (they probably have tolerances of +/- 1 or 2*)

the hook is most likely swing mechanics related - have you been to a pro or a clubfitter? are you hooking your irons too?

OP
Johnny Par

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
I'm actually playing the same driver with a stiff shaft and cut down a bit to length. my mishits with the driver are usually a hook too

Do you know your swingspeed? you might hook if the shaft is too flexible

also, that particular driver might be a little more closed than another (they probably have tolerances of +/- 1 or 2*)

the hook is most likely swing mechanics related - have you been to a pro or a clubfitter? are you hooking your irons too?

definitely a swing mechanics problem. I hook my irons as well.

My swing speed is about 85 - 90. I tried the UST proforce in regular flex and couldn't hit it to save my life (i heard they play much stiffer than other regular flex shafts). Then again, I haven't had my swing speed measured in a while. The swing speed i mentioned was probably from my first couple of months into the game. I feel like my driver swing speed has definitely gone up a bit but not sure if it breaks 100.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
My driver fits me well enough that I'm not going to mess with it this year or next

If I find that my swing changes and I'm hitting too high, I'll consider going to a 9.5 or 10* head but probably keep the shaft

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
definitely a swing mechanics problem. I hook my irons as well.

My swing speed is about 85 - 90. I tried the UST proforce in regular flex and couldn't hit it to save my life (i heard they play much stiffer than other regular flex shafts). Then again, I haven't had my swing speed measured in a while. The swing speed i mentioned was probably from my first couple of months into the game. I feel like my driver swing speed has definitely gone up a bit but not sure if it breaks 100.

if your SS is exactly what you have posted(which it is most likely not, people tend to get it wrong most of the time), the graffaloy might even be too stiff... but too stiff would cause a fade tendancy for most people, and as you said, you hook your irons too, so its a swing problem...

graffaloys, same as the UST V2, play much stiffer than another brands regular flex...

and i would stay away fromthe tp's... if you dont feel the need to work the ball, then definately stay away..

i would recommend an r580xd... in fact i saw one on golfwrx.com, for $50, in good condition, 9.5 loft... stiff shaft, which for the stock shaft in here, stiff sounds perfect for you... id recommened you go check it out, especially for that price...

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I went from the R5 N to the the R5 TP. It is night and day. I can't hook the TP, and I play a slight draw. I've got the Zach Johnson draw the irons, fade the driver thing going on. And if you do hook it, put a 14 gram in the toe, that'll take care of it.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I went from the R5 N to the the R5 TP. It is night and day. I can't hook the TP, and I play a slight draw. I've got the Zach Johnson draw the irons, fade the driver thing going on. And if you do hook it, put a 14 gram in the toe, that'll take care of it.

I agree, I picked up an R7 quad TP and like it alot. I dont find it unforgiving at all and the shaft is pretty good. I am actually giving very serious consideration to getting an R5 TP. Dont be aftraid of the TP, they are a great feeling club that performs...really well. I am not a low digit capper either. Driving has always been the worst part of my game.

OP
Johnny Par

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
So I went to Golf Galaxy today and hit both the R7 and R7 Superquad on the launch monitor. First off, I couldn't believe my swing speed. Was registering between 93 - 99. Which got me thinking, do I need stiff flex shaft? Still hooking though.

Of the 2, I liked the R7 better. Visually, when looking at the faces of the two drivers, the Superquad looks smaller than the R7 which is wider on the bottom.

Now the question is, Should I Ho it. :laugh:

Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions. Want to try them out again in both regular flex and stiff flex.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So I went to Golf Galaxy today and hit both the R7 and R7 Superquad on the launch monitor. First off, I couldn't believe my swing speed. Was registering between 93 - 99. Which got me thinking, do I need stiff flex shaft? Still hooking though.

Of the 2, I liked the R7 better. Visually, when looking at the faces of the two drivers, the Superquad looks smaller than the R7 which is wider on the bottom.

Now the question is, Should I Ho it. :laugh:

Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions. Want to try them out again in both regular flex and stiff flex.

Well I have an R7 TP I would be willing to sell ya...if thats any kind of suggestion
icon10.gif

Members online