• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

TaylorMade R580 vs Taylormade R580 XD

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I couldn't really identify a difference other than 149$ against 199$ at Dick's Sporting goods. I assume the XD is just the newer model (which to me usually means save money on last year's!) Is it worth an extra 50$ to get the XD version? Is there any noticable difference? 3 yards per drive isn't worth 50$ to me.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I had one of each and ended up trading both of them for a Cleveland 460 Launcher.

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Bleh. The launcher is like 299$ or more I believe. I'm looking for a good driver that isn't abnormally expensive.

I had gone into Dick's with 3 of those reward certificates (meaning I had spent 900$ there.. omfg) and sold them to my friend for 30$ (who bought golf shoes with them). Alas, I thought! Now I can go on ebay and have 30$ more toward a new club!

Then I spent the money on foreign jeans.
Je deteste les personnes de france, et son pantalons.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I am actually playing the 580XD right now. It's a great driver. About as great as most 450cc Titanium drivers.

The XD has a different sole design, different weight distribution too. The original was designed with a lower ball flight to counter the complaints of ballooning balls from the 300 series drivers. The ballflight apparently flew too low, and mucho distance was added with the XD and its higher launch angles.

Go for the XD.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i have a 580 xd never hit the 580 so im not sure of the differnce.

from what you say bd im glad that i went with the xd because i have a much lower trajectory with that then i did with my old PJ330.i wanted a lower trajectory though because i had a real high trajectory till i bought the xd.now i have a nice trajectory not to low not to high.

the only draw back i have seem to have with the extra 120 cc head is i cant seem to get the draw i used to have with my old driver.

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
I love my XD. . .although I can't compare it to the reg. 580--never hit it. I also like the trajectory I'm getting with the xd.

🔥 Latest posts