• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

TaylorMade r7XD irons

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I took my new set out to the range yesterday afternoon and hit about 150 balls with them.

Impressions:

The club has a thick topline which I don't mind...but it is definitely a thick one. Also a thicker sole than many clubs on the market. I don't like the OEM grips that come with the clubs and will have them re-gripped with a Winn Royal wrap.

1) First the lofts on the clubs are very low, which results in substantially longer ball flight for a given iron. I'd look down at a club and say to myself, "that looks like a six iron and would lift it up and it would have '7' written on the sole. No lofts are written on the sole of the club.

2) The club does indeed produce a very high flight.

3) Forgivability is very good, expecially on fat shots as they will travel 90% of the distance of a good strike.

4) Workability - these clubs are far more workable than reviewers would have you believe. I could produce both draws and fades.

These clubs have been discontinued by TM - in their tradition of turning over models very quickly. (I think they were only on the market for 24 months). I paid $400 for 4-PW and think they are a steal.

Getting these clubs dialed in is going to take weeks for me as the lofts are so much lower than my previous Titleist DCI Golds. Also, the PW is only 44* so I now have a 10* gap between my PW and my Cleveland 900 54*, so I must now seek a 48* wedge to fill the gap. The PW in my Titleist was 48 and I've got to find something to fill that...

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Played my first round with the clubs and my customary Lamkin Royal Wrap grips today.

Really like 'em.....extremely high ball flight...I hit quite a few GIR's. Forgiveness is good. Lower lofts mean that my old 7 iron is an 8 now.

My Titleist DCI's are going up for sale soon. Will be a great beginner set for somebody...

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Forgivability is very good, expecially on fat shots as they will travel 90% of the distance of a good strike.

4) Workability - these clubs are far more workable than reviewers would have you believe. I could produce both draws and fades.

"Forgiveness"? Or did you mean "Workiveness"?

Sorry - I just couldn't resist, and I know I'm setting myself up...:shark:

Members online

No members online now.