• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Taylormade+Zaphod= Ho,Ho,Ho,Ho

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Am now the proud owner of four (4) Taylormade drivers. I just am an compulsive ho or an idiot. Whatever.:thumbs up:

At the 2007 Wisconsin Shottalk Open I hit Wi-Golfer's TM Burner and was impressed. At 2008 event I hit FitzPatrick's R7 and again was impressed.

So the following purchases occurred in chronological order within 3 week period.

Billy Bob conversion ferrules--used to add or subtract 1* of loft or lie if putting a 0.335 shaft into 0.350 hosel

Aldila VS by you Reg shaft 65 gram

10.5* R5 TP head

3 TM heads hoed from one ebay auction
R7 425 9.5*
R7 Quad TP 9.5*
R7 425 TP 9.5*

Billy Bob after market 12 piece weight set 2 of each 2gm,4gm, 8gm,10gm,12,gm,14gm

Impressions

R5 came with 2gm and 10gm weights installed in draw position. I installed a UST V2 LD-1 shaft at 46"with draw set up. The driver was accurate but 15 to 20 yards short of my Ping G2. Very high trajectory. Felt great but not what I wanted. So tried a UST V2 Stiff I had (courtesty from Sssmokin--thanks big guy) Lowered trajectory but still 10 yards shorter. So I shortened the shaft to 45.5" and switched out the 10 gram weight to a 12 gram weight. Lower yet trajectory but I'm out there 10 yards past the G2 after the pelota stops rolling. Very easy to hit. One down 3 to go.

R7 Quad TP came with 12 gram weights on the outside and 2 grams on the inside so I "Let it Be". Shafted with a Prolauch Blue 65 reg at 45.5" Straight and great trajectory. At 265 yards+ after the roll. Have not done more tweaking but will in the future. two down 2 to go.

R7 425 TP came with 10 grams on outside and 2 grams on inside. Put in the "by you" shaft at 45.5". Short of the R7 Quad by 15 yards. So tried 14 gram weights and 2 gram weights in a high draw position. What a mistake!!!! Felt like I was swinging steel rerod with a hunk of driftwood on the end. Ball reacted the same!!!! So I backed off to the 12 gram weights intead of the 14 gram weight--same positioning. Just plain beautiful Same length as Quad but feels better:thumbs up: 3 down 1 to go.

R7 425 is being evaluated by my son Eric. He currently is hitting a R7 425 with UST V2 LD-2 at 45" 9.5*. He wanted a bit lower trajectory driver for windy or hard fairway conditions. Enter the last club head. With the Billy Bob custom ferrule I set it up to drop the loft aprx 1*. Tipped the UST V2 LD-1 by 3/4" and shafted to 44.75". He will let me know how it works. Gave it to him today as we watched him play Ultimate Frisbee at the Badger State Games in Madison Wisconsin. They got their tails whipped as they ran into a team composed of many of the UW Hodags ( Hodags won the collegiate Nationals last year and this year.) Eric was voted the MVP so some of the sting is gone. BTW the UW "B" team is called the Pimpdags and the womens team the BellaDonnas. These college students pick their team names "under the influence". Eric's team= "The Gods Must Be Crazy".

I believe Billy Bob Golf makes ferrules for Pings which can also drop the loft or lie by one degree. If so I may screw around with the G2 dropping the loft.

Ho,Ho Ho;)

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Selling???? Separation anxiety is setting in. Everything fading to shades of gray. Must gain control.

Jeff---I still am figuring out which of my wenches--- er- drivers is the grooviest. Am taking one out a round and putting letting her perform. Perhaps 7 total drivers is a bit obsessive--you think??? Will update as needed. Which do you prefer?? There are 2 TPs. And why. Just curious.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Why? I'm the quietest ho here.

Either of the tps, really.

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Why? I'm the quietest ho here.

Good answer!!!!!

My posting is part of a 4 step program. You know the drill.

Hi--I'm Zaphod and I'm a ho.:beach3:
I've caught WBL-itist . Just have not figured out the selling part. Perhaps I should wait for his advice on the separation of golfer-ho and betrayed club is accomplished with grace and dignity.

BTW-- ebay justclubheads72 is the seller of the 3 head auction. He/she has had a number of multiple TM head auctions in which the price has been fairly reseasonable. I would guess most people do not need 3-4 heads at once. These I purchased for $213 shipped. Good deal from my point of view

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
SEVEN drivers??? :confused: I am now down to 3 drivers you HO!!! :D

Sounds like a lot of "mad scientist" stuff going on at Muppet Labs... :)

Now we have to get together so I can hit some of those!!! I'll let you hit my G10!! :D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
By the way, WBL. I saw the S59's yesterday, and they are MUCH better looking in person than in print. I think Zaphod needs to hit yours...

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
By the way, WBL. I saw the S59's yesterday, and they are MUCH better looking in person than in print. I think Zaphod needs to hit yours...

Eracer

ejdahl21 hit one of my irons yesterday and smoked a beauty right on the green after he missed way left with his. They are magic. :)

I'm sure zaphod will hit them too.... if we ever connect to play. :)

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
ejdahl21 hit one of my irons yesterday and smoked a beauty right on the green after he missed way left with his. They are magic. :)

I'm sure zaphod will hit them too.... if we ever connect to play.

I've already penciled in "The Oaks" between Madison and Milwaukee at Cottage Grove exit. A Packer Sunday. They have special at kickoff and update the game on the GPS cart outfit. Great course. Perhaps we can make an event out of it. It will have to be short notice timing as weather in this time period is sooooo variable.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I've already penciled in "The Oaks" between Madison and Milwaukee at Cottage Grove exit. A Packer Sunday. They have special at kickoff and update the game on the GPS cart outfit. Great course. Perhaps we can make an event out of it. It will have to be short notice timing as weather in this time period is sooooo variable.

zaphod

Sounds great..... a ways off though... :D

🔥 Latest posts