• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Teaching friends to golf...

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I consider myself a decent golfer. When I have played for most of a season I can shoot in the low 80's to mid 70's pretty consistently. I used to be scratch, but a shoulder surgery coupled with a few year layoff from the sport ended any shot I had at becoming a pro either touring or teaching. That being said, I understand the fundamentals of the swing, and love teaching. I taught my wife to play, and she is now one or two mistakes away from breaking 100 consistently.

A few of my friends have asked me to "teach" them to play golf. Now I don't know if I should do this in the first place, and if I do how much to charge. Here is what I was thinking. I would take them on, they pay for the buckets of range balls during the "lessons". Then once they have a decent enough swing and we head to the course, they pay for the greens fees if they want a "playing lesson". Outside of that maybe a beer at a bar while we talk over things for them to work on on their own outside of the lessons. Does this seem like a fair price, I don't want to take money from friends for something I would gladly do for free, but I also don't want to be paying for greens fees in a round where most of my time will be spent working with them on their swing.

Let me know what you guys think...

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I think thats fair if they are coming to you asking for lessons.

Probably a win/win situation here. You get a free round of golf, they get some cheap lessons.(depending on what kind of greens fees they are of course)

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
For friends, just be sure you're not incurring any cost to yourself. They'll buy their own balls like you suggested and pay for your greens fees. That's beyond fair for quality instruction.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Sounds like an ideal set up to me. Like Clark said, they are getting cheap lessons, and you're getting free golf.

295yards

May 5, 2009
That sounds really reasonable.

Hopefully like everything else someone doesn't take advantage of that and ruin it for everyone ,,,like the guys who consistently give unwarranted advise.

I could see it know at the pro shop,,, the know-it-alls nodding at their buddies when the bill comes up. :biglol:

🔥 Latest posts