• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tee it up?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Last evening at the range I was struggling with my driver. Was not getting that "good contact with the ball" feeling. And I was hitting high hookies or high pushes.

Finally, I tried teeing the ball just a little bit lower. The bottom of the ball was about 1.5" above ground level, so it was about 1/2" lower than my regular tee height for a 460cc driver.

Miraculous improvement. I could feel good contact, and my ball flight flattened and straightened out.

So, this will require more experimentation and reproducibility. Tonight I'm taking a small ruler with me to measure the tee height. I remember us making fun of the T-LevL last year, but maybe they were on to something.

I found this article on a websearch, which confuses me even more. Check out the carry distances in the table! I don't feel so bad now.

Tee it High or Low? | Instruction | Golf.com

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I have to tee my HiBore XL lower, since they moved the CG down a bit.

You may laugh, but I've been getting great results from these tees.

4 Yards More Golf Tee

They quantify the tee height quite nicely. And they last a long time.
tee_4yardsmore.jpg

twelvegage

live life. love life.
Jan 18, 2008
I've had this EXACT problem. I had to tee it considerably lower with my Nickent than I did with my Cleveland. A little experimenting solved the problem though. I was considering getting those one tees that get fat up top so you can only (easily) put them in the ground so far.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
I'm not good enough to have two different swings, one for balls resting on the ground, and one for balls suspended in the air. I tee for my driver about 3/4" up, and everything else I hit off a 1/4", or the deck. To each his own, I guess.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I've found different heads require different tee heights. The Sumo2 worked good high, the G10 had to be lowered and the Maltby CT250 liked it high. When I get a new driver (shut up) I hit a few and then look at the face to see where my contact is and try for the middle first, then play up or down to see what happens if not the results I like. :p

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Last evening at the range I was struggling with my driver. Was not getting that "good contact with the ball" feeling. And I was hitting high hookies or high pushes.

Finally, I tried teeing the ball just a little bit lower. The bottom of the ball was about 1.5" above ground level, so it was about 1/2" lower than my regular tee height for a 460cc driver.

Miraculous improvement. I could feel good contact, and my ball flight flattened and straightened out.

So, this will require more experimentation and reproducibility. Tonight I'm taking a small ruler with me to measure the tee height. I remember us making fun of the T-LevL last year, but maybe they were on to something.

I found this article on a websearch, which confuses me even more. Check out the carry distances in the table! I don't feel so bad now.

Tee it High or Low? | Instruction | Golf.com

Try using some masking tape on your club face. Hit a few shots and then look and see where the impact marks are on the face. My driver's Sweet Spot is 3/4 way up the face, towards the crown, so I use a longer tee. As E said the Hi-bore is lower in the face so a lower tee works.

It also very much depends on the swing. A steep swing and shallow swing would benefit from different heights. I was interested to see what the pros heights are. Big variation.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I've found different heads require different tee heights. .... When I get a new driver (shut up) I hit a few and then look at the face to see where my contact is and try for the middle first, then play up or down to see what happens if not the results I like. :p

So in other words, you have more sizes of tees in your bag than Bill Gates has $$$$$$$?

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
esp for a newbie, figuring out good tee height, for several clubs....I think its going to take a while. Thinking that a fixed height teee like the brush tee is in good idea, then move the ball/left foot position to get the drive desired.

I have yet to hit a skyshot with a high tee, but I have sure hit those ones that go 50 yards, and "spin down" real fast. all swing related for sure.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Tee height has a definite effect on my drives, too high and I get a rainbow that leaks off to the right, even when I catch it on the screws.

As far as impact tape, just wipe a little oil off your nose and then wipe your driver face, you'll get a perfect ball impression on the face of a titanium driver.

CosmosMpower

Jun 26, 2008
Tee height has a definite effect on my drives, too high and I get a rainbow that leaks off to the right, even when I catch it on the screws.

As far as impact tape, just wipe a little oil off your nose and then wipe your driver face, you'll get a perfect ball impression on the face of a titanium driver.

Classy.

With my 3DX square I tee it up just slightly above the top of the head instead of a ball and a half like normal. The square is fairly low profile and I hit rainbows if I tee it up a feel ball and a half higher.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.