• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

TEEING UP

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
This is all true except one part. Hitting the ball high on the face does nothing beneficial except increase shot height due to their being more loft near the top of the club. This really is one of the biggest myths in golf.
Probably the most interesting thing I found out from reading the Wishon book. Top of the driver is a degree or two more, bottom is a degree or two less because of the design of the face. Enough to make me start teeing the ball higher as I was thinking of picking up a higher lofted driver and usually would tee the ball lower. Got my extra degree or two that way.

irfan

May 6, 2007
Probably the most interesting thing I found out from reading the Wishon book. Top of the driver is a degree or two more, bottom is a degree or two less because of the design of the face. Enough to make me start teeing the ball higher as I was thinking of picking up a higher lofted driver and usually would tee the ball lower. Got my extra degree or two that way.

I dont know the extent of it, but dont you lose distance for every tiny bit off the sweet spot you hit? if you tee higher and hit the ball higher than the sweet spot, arent you sacrificing distance compared to a true higher lofted club that you are still hitting the spot on?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I dont know the extent of it, but dont you lose distance for every tiny bit off the sweet spot you hit? if you tee higher and hit the ball higher than the sweet spot, arent you sacrificing distance compared to a true higher lofted club that you are still hitting the spot on?

My understanding is that today's drivers are designed to strike the ball on the upper half of the face. And, since the driver swing is intended to sweep the ball up into the air, it would seem that teeing the ball high is necessary in order to produce a good shot.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
It would be my understanding, although this may likely be disputed by some, that the Center of Gravity on most drivers is located more in the top portion of the drivers. Although really to me it is all a matter of performance and in what I see.

Again though, I used to tee the ball fairly low for a driver. So I am not convinced due to the nature of my swing that the ball was not making contact in a manner lower than it should. I guess the question would be, and the conclusion I made from what I mentioned is that if your are going to strike the ball off of the center of gravity on the roll of the driver, and desire a slightly higher ball flight, do you want to do it on the part of the 10* driver that is closer to 8* or to the part that is closer to 12* that is at least in my understanding more closely related to the section of the clubface that holds the center of gravity.

If you are slightly off the sweet spot would your rather be hitting an 8* driver or a 12* driver? With my swing speed and from my experience the effect of adding 4* to my driver in that sense will possibly even outweigh (and has based on my experience) the effect on deviation from the sweet spot. Where I am likely now closer to the sweetspot as well.

🔥 Latest posts