• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tees

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Yeah, standard length aren't bad, Rock, but to hit big towering 'inferno' type drives, I like to tee 'er up and really focus on hitting up on it, and on that sweetspot - high and to the left of centre as you look. This is where the sweetspot is positioned on most big-headed drivers.
:)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I'm still upity about this! :D

The standard golf tee is 54mm in length. The face of a 460 Launcher is 56mm, which includes the rounded edge.

If you teed a ball halfway with a standard tee, the ball's center would be resting in the middle of the sweet spot on the driver's face assuming the swing brushes the ground perfectly. Now, if you teed that ball up 1/4 of 54mm, which is what I do, the ball now rests above the club's center, with a 1/4 of the ball over the head of the crown.

What more do you need?

The fact that there are longer tees is meant to get the ball airborne quicker, which is a fix for golfers that have difficulty with that ability. But, there is no reason to assume that a longer tee will result in longer and more accurate drives. It's not the tee that's hitting the ball, it's the club. And, if the clubface isn't travelling at X mph or at X degree of launch, you're still not going to hit the ball a long way.

Basically, a 95mph swing hit on a standard tee and a long tee will go the same distance if the clubhead is brought through the impact zone the same way. You can't deny that.

The fact that they have long tees is that it gives those with lesser abilities a better chance of executing a less sound swing with better results. But, if your mechanics with the driver are sound, there is no reason to use a longer tee.

R35

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Rockford35 said:
I'm still uppity about this! :D

About this? ;)

Rockford35 said:
...if you teed that ball up 1/4 of 54mm, which is what I do, the ball now rests above the club's center, with a 1/4 of the ball over the head of the crown.

Not my experience; I'll get out my calipers. When I use standard tees, the ball does not crest the top of my driver, which makes me move the ball back in my stance, which shallows my swing, which moves my hands ahead of the clubface, which delofts my clubhead, which lowers my loft from 9.5* down to about 5* coming through the ball. And that costs me distance.

Rockford35 said:
The fact that there are longer tees is meant to get the ball airborne quicker, which is a fix for golfers that have difficulty with that ability.

OK.

Rockford35 said:
Basically, a 95mph swing hit on a standard tee and a long tee will go the same distance if the clubhead is brought through the impact zone the same way. You can't deny that.

I don't bwana. But as I noted, I don't bring the clubhead through the impact zone in the same way when I use a short tee.

Rockford35 said:
The fact that they have long tees is that it gives those with lesser abilities a better chance of executing a less sound swing with better results. R35

I'm OK with that, too. But I did break 80 a couple of times this season, and each time it was with the longer tees. Plus, I never cracked 100, which is a first for me. And I had a very rough time with my game through mid season when I was incorporating the latest round of swing adjustments. Many rounds in the 90s.

Psychological crutch? Maybe. But, with the driver, the longer tees make me come through the ball at a launch angle that, for me, produces the best results. I am toying with the idea of getting fitted with a new driver using a launch monitor, and once that is done, I'll see if I can hit it off of a standard tee.

Then, I'll be willing to bet I can. ;)

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Isn't tee height just a matter of personal preference. I use the longer tees because I get better results with my big ol' monster driver.

Don't listen to Rockford. He's just trying to get us to use the short tees to give the ROTW team an even greater advantage next summer. :)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Farquod said:
I don't bwana. But as I noted, I don't bring the clubhead through the impact zone in the same way when I use a short tee.

Farq,

This is my point in it's entirety. The fact that you change your swing is the reason why the results are different.

If you were forced to hit with standard tees (let's say you're on a deserted island, full of naked chicks, prime golf courses and standard tees), you'd adjust your swing to maximize distance and control by having the clubhead contact the ball at it's best possible angle, which is on the upswing. Which is what a solid mechanical golf swing is. But, the fact that the ball is tee'd up lower had no bearing on whether or not it's hit properly.

Wait, naked chicks? Golf Courses? Where the hell is this island. And can you still call it deserted if it has lots of naked chicks? :

Cheers Farq,

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
DaveE said:
Isn't tee height just a matter of personal preference. I use the longer tees because I get better results with my big ol' monster driver.

Don't listen to Rockford. He's just trying to get us to use the short tees to give the ROTW team an even greater advantage next summer. :)

Well maybe if we all used hockey sticks, bats and rakes, you guys might have a chance.

Standard tees isn't much of a dent.:D

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Rockford35 said:
Wait, naked chicks? Golf Courses? Where the hell is this island. And can you still call it deserted if it has lots of naked chicks? :

R35

I guess since they would all be running and hiding from you then you would at least feel deserted. :p

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
DaveE said:

Yah, D. Add to that the fact that those supporting his side of the argument are all ROTW, and it all makes sense.

Maybe I'll get me one of those self-hitting drivers. That'll show 'em.

Rockford35 said:
...full of naked chicks...

First Canada geese, now chickens. Dude, you got this bird thing goin'? ;)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Not to be a jerk, but it was moose, not Canadian Geese.

Geese are too greasy....:D

R35

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Rockford35 said:
Geese are too greasy....:D

That could be part of the attraction....:p

Moose, eh? I missed that thread. You're braver than I thought. Gotta sneak up on them, I guess.

But then, there's no threat of bird flu....

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
One of my employees just gave me a bag of 50 brand new 2 & 3/4" (70mm)tees with the Masters name and logo on them. :)

I'm using them.

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Masters as in "Augusta Masters" ? If so, nice one ! :)

You gotta be hitting the ball on the up with a big-headed driver, so the longer than standard is the answer, imo.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Masters as in "Augusta Masters" ? If so, nice one !

Yeah, it's about a mile away as the crow flies, but a few million dollars away in terms of being able to play there. :) Oh well, I'll just tell people I'm playing the muni while "the club" is closed.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Farquod said:
That could be part of the attraction....:p

Moose, eh? I missed that thread. You're braver than I thought. Gotta sneak up on them, I guess.

But then, there's no threat of bird flu....
They never even realize he's there...

Don

Aug 23, 2005
Funny how some guys say what's fact, when they haven't tried all the possible ways of doing something before coming up with "their" facts. Being as how I have used the longer tees and the bristle tees, I can tell you for a "FACT", that I gain distance off the tee with longer tees or with the bristle type tees.

And I guess non of you have read the Golf Digest tee height test from this summer. They tested tees from 2-1/8" to 4", and they gained 37 yards more distance with a driver. NOW, IF YOU DON'T THINK 37 YARDS LONGER IS WORTH WORRYING ABOUT, Please stick with your short tees, I don't really care how much you are hurting your game.

Rockford35: you may be right about hitting the ball on the sweet spot with a short tee, but it's also important to make contact with the ball as the clubhead is coming up, after it has moved past the low spot in the swing. And, you also want to hit the ball high on the club face for the maximum distance, and you can't do both of those things with a short tee. Truth is, tests have been done, and a taller tee does add distance to the drive. That's a fact. Read the Golf Digest test and see the results for yourself if you don't believe it. Another thing you are not taking into account is that if you tee the ball higher, you can hit the ball more on the up swing, and launch it higher with less spin than from a lower tee height. And if you can launch the ball on a high angle with less spin, the ball will go farther. Another fact that can't really be argued.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.