• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tees

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Here's a couple more facts, if you can call them that:

"Callaway's Alan Hocknell, senior director of product design and engineering, says longer tees "encourage" high launch angle and low spin, but "we haven't taken the position that golfers must use longer tees." Callaway testers (including Annika Sorenstam, Thomas Howell III, Rocco Mediate and Phil Mickelson) still use traditional-length tees during product development."

And words from the former Tech Nerd at the USGA on standard versus regular tees:

"As for the performance claims, Frank Thomas, technical director at the USGA from 1974-2000 and Golf Digest's chief technical advisor, says he hasn't seen proof that a tee can make much of a difference. "Impact lasts just under a half a millisecond," he says. "During that period of time, there's an average of about 1,500 pounds of force being exerted on the ball. Certainly [a tee] does have some influence, but I believe it's so small that you can't measure it. I think the influence the tee has on the ball is equivalent to the influence a hail stone has on the speed of your car as you're driving along." "

One example that a big driver and big tees aren't needed to achieve distance:

"There is at least one golfer who isn't in the market for anything to help her plunge a tee in the ground at the appropriate height because she usually doesn't use one. Laura Davies, the powerful LPGA player, eschews a tee, high-tech or otherwise, choosing to bump up a piece of turf and launch one of her long drives off that. The latest LPGA driving-distance stats showed Davies, who recently turned 42, was ranked fourth on the women's tour with a 263.4-yard average."

Geeze, maybe all these people are fools. Or maybe they just aren't part of the growing MARKET SECTION of the long tee fad.

Remember putters that were all metal, without inserts or 58" shafts? Yep, they still get the ball in the hole. Just as standard tees get the ball out there just as well.

As long as the ball is positioned to get the sweet spot on it at time of impact in good position, you're going to hit the ball well. Especially with today's bigger drivers.

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Rock - we need to get you some more responsibilty at work dude... and I thought I had some spare time.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
VtDivot said:
Rock - we need to get you some more responsibilty at work dude... and I thought I had some spare time.

Touche.

If I wasn't at home this afternoon, you might think I worked for the Government.

Oh wait...LOL.

R35

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Man, I want a govt job when I'm done school so badly. The Department of Justice MUST hire me. Pay is reasonable, and lifestyle is fantastic. That's the way to do it.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
It' s sweet. You can bullshit about golf tees in your spare time!

(Actually, this is our seriosly busy season. I took the afternoon off cuz I'm super burned out. This aft was my first day off in nearly 2 months....)

R35

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
It's one of the only "big" law firms in Canada's major centres where lawyers actually get to go home early enough to enjoy their lives.

avg_golfer

Nov 9, 2005
Don said:
And I guess non of you have read the Golf Digest tee height test from this summer. They tested tees from 2-1/8" to 4", and they gained 37 yards more distance with a driver. NOW, IF YOU DON'T THINK 37 YARDS LONGER IS WORTH WORRYING ABOUT, Please stick with your short tees, I don't really care how much you are hurting your game.

Which month of Golf Digest is that?

Don

Aug 23, 2005
Avg_golfer: It's the June 2005 issue, on page 88. That's the issue with Sergio on the front if that helps you find the right one. The test was done with a robotic machine, so all the human factors were removed. As was posted by another member, the ball position had to be changed for the longer tees, but that's not hard to do, if you're willing to put in a little time at the range to get used to it. You should read the article, but to save some of you the trouble, here's the data for you

TEE CARRY YARDS TOTAL DISTANCE

2-1/8" tee 195.3 219.5
2-1/4" BRUSH TEE 218.0 244.0
2-1/2" RIP TIPS 220.2 246.8
3" EPOCH TEE 221.2 246.8
4" PRIDE 227.0 252.0
PROLENGTH MAX

What you might notice is that just going from a 2-1/8 wood tee to the 2-1/2" RIP TIPS tee, they gained 27 yards.
With the 4" tees, they gained 32.5 yards. What I want to know is this. If they but the RIp Tips tees on a longer wooden tee so the total length is 4", how much will you gain. Should be around 40 yards or so.

Bottom line: You can use any tee you want. But I happen to believe it would be stupid to use a short tee if a longer tee will give more distance. If you works for you, and it does for me, use the longer tees. Yes, you might have to change your ball position and make a more "sweeping swing", but is that too much to ask of you to gain distance off the tee? If I'm not totally wrong on this, I'd bet money most of you reading this are willing to spend hundreds of dollars on the newest driver, and $45.00 or more for a dozen golf balls, all in the hope of a few more yards off the tee. Does that make more sense to you than useing a longer tee, which you must admit, is a much cheaper way to gain 30 yards?

avg_golfer

Nov 9, 2005
Thanks, Don.
I'll find that magazine. I think I have it somewhere in the pile.

Btw, someone told me awhile back that the pros adjust the tee-angle. The tee is not always upright. Sometimes the tee is tilted forward to get ball overspin, and so the ball will rolls to gain extra yardage. In a some other situations, the tee is tilted back to make the ball underspin so that it will not roll forward when it lands. Has this theory been proven or disproved with the robot (Iron Byron)?

Don

Aug 23, 2005
I have no idea about the tipping of the tee practice. The only thing I do is set the tee in the ground and then wiggle it back and forth so it's loose in the ground. My instructor, who played on the PGA tour when he was younger, told me this helps to get the most distance and accuracy. Makes sense, if the tee is loose it will move out of the way easier. Might not be much, but it can't hurt to have the tee loose in the ground. You're also less likely to brake the tee if it's loose in the ground, it comes out easier.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
The tilting the tee forward or backward sounds a bit wooish, if you ask me. I can't see that making much difference in it affecting how the clubhead is going to impact the ball.

Anyhow, I've got a a 400-cc driver, and this last weekend, finally began hitting it well. It took some time and an adjustment in my tee position and height.

I read that post by Invexgolf(?) where he posted that a golfer should be teeing higher and the ball needs to be moved forward in the stance when using an oversized driver head. Doing that finally solved a couple of issues I had when first trying out the oversized driver.

Keeping the ball low on tee like I had done with my previous driver, and fairway woods, promoted a swing thought of a more sweeping motion. Now that's not necessarily bad, but can lead to a problem with the clubhead getting off the swing plane I really want. That waggling off the desired plane led to a huge slice, or if I turned my wrists over and closed the clubface down, a big pull to the left.

But now, with going for less of a sweeping motion, and looking to hit the ball on the beginning of the upswing, I began hitting the ball straighter, and more frequently on the desired swing plane.

The one danger I now have with this position is sometimes rolling the wrists over and pulling the drive.

Wheelerm

GET IN THE HOLE!
Oct 11, 2005
I have the tee position just above the sweet spot of my driver, and use brush tee's sometimes

avg_golfer

Nov 9, 2005
Folks! Just found this product while websurfing. Go to www.tlevl.com. What a great product. You can tee consistently at the right height everytime. I have been looking for this kind of tool for a long time. It also has a bubble level to adjust the angle.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online