• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tempo is that important?

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
United States United States
Ive been messing with improving my tempo and over the last few rounds have noticed that Im having to swing about half as fast to get the same distances. I tee'd off from the longer tees with a 2 hybrid (16*) and then used it for my second shot with a 7 iron to the green (ended up on the back side) 2 days ago. It was a decently long par 5, obviously, but this hole is my arch nemesis and has been since I started playing a little less than two years ago. I think Ive parred it maybe one time, although I can bogey it regularly.

Does it make sense that better tempo = not having to put as much energy in for the same result?
I still dont have a really firm grasp on what creates distance, apparently. All that 'club head speed' talk makes me think 'swing as fast as possible' but most of the time that ends up with a shorter ball heading into the pond or trees.

When I slowed down to what felt like sleep walking speed the ball went the same distance or maybe even further than when I try to crush the sleeve off of the ball and with a LOT more accuracy and consistency...and it seems to have cured those topped shots where I pull up.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Given the same contact, more speed means more distance.

Most of the time swinging harder means poor contact. Which kills distance.

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
Given the same contact, more speed means more distance.

Most of the time swinging harder means poor contact. Which kills distance.
So its more likely that Im just not getting contact when swinging faster, I assume, which makes sense.
I guess the next question is how do you get both, speed and good contact? Is there some secret trick Im missing ? :D

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
You are accelerating through the shot by turning in a controlled way. while you are doing this turning business you are also swinging and accelerating the clubhead. The two separate accelerations are stacking one upon the other. the result is a factor or multiplying effect that feels deceptively soft.
Acceleration is quantive over time but to describe this, the measures are related to a second per second time element.

My inner geek thanks you. That was good therapy.

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
You are accelerating through the shot by turning in a controlled way. while you are doing this turning business you are also swinging and accelerating the clubhead. The two separate accelerations are stacking one upon the other. the result is a factor or multiplying effect that feels deceptively soft.
Acceleration is quantive over time but to describe this, the measures are related to a second per second time element.

My inner geek thanks you. That was good therapy.
Ive noticed that the faster I try to swing the club the more violent the transition gets.
Is there something to watch for that might help keep the transition smooth while still being able to get the club head speed up?

I feel like the thing keeping me from getting more pars is this part of the swing. I can get good accuracy with decent distance, but when I need more distance and need to still keep the accuracy up is where I fall apart a lot of times.

Even the good players Ive played with continually make comments like 'nice swing' but its frustrating to hear them say that and then knowing I cant hit as far as they do and still control the ball as well as I'd like. Im not looking for 300 yard drives or anything, 250 consistently would be more than fine.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Ive heard it phrased along the lines of one mph faster hip turn running up your spine and getting sped up by the width of your shoulders moving even faster down the leverage of your arms quicker through the hinge of the grip and exploding 25 mph faster through the clubhead because of the leverage.
The accuracy from the body can be so much better as its momentum moves down the path club in tow. It doesnt flail around as much as the other parts of the swing.
The upper body coming early wastes this energy and direction control. Pulls and blocks can result and loss of distance with it.

Remember the pitcher in the movie Bull Durham? He got control with a silky garter belt. Maybe Nike makes one...lol look for a rose

A violent trans like you describe is from an attempt to get the upper swing in to early. Be patient and let the body lead. Its a big swing by nature and needs room to develop.The horizontal club will sink toward the back of your head as the hips begin twisting to target. This increases lag and pulls the kinks out if the backswing.

Hope these ideas help

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
Definitely happy with things today.
Played 9 and scored a 45 which for me is good.

I did really well on my tee shots and then on 17 tried to revert back to what Ive been doing and chubbed off the tee shot. Ended up in a fairway bunker 150 yards out and used the tempo thing again without letting the club stop at the top and the shot came off really nice and ended up left side of the green.

Same thing on the 18th tee. Tried the old way and chubbed off a tee shot. Second shot I used the better tempo swing and dropped the ball in front of the green in the fairway with good contact.

Definitely seems to be, for me anyway, better to just use the lower body to power the swing without using much upper and make sure the tempo and transition is smooth.

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
Tempo is everything, IMO. Timing is very important in the golf swing.
I think everything Ive read agrees.
For some reason earlier this year I apparently just decided to toss most of what Ive learned out the window and see if I could learn how to get the HIGHEST number of strokes possible :D

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
the more you play, the faster your swing will become, the more you get the feel for golf. my swing now, compared to 4.5 years ago when is started is much faster and better - but equipment also helps for the faster swing. can't have a swing speed of 100mph and use a flex shaft - nothing will work.

well, above infor is for me at least, i am playing with a stiff shaft - if i give everything in the swing, accuracy is fair but distance is massive. to me accuracy is more important. so i give it a good swing but not all i've got. works perfect for me.

sunday, i drove 310 yards with a easy but fast swing not trying to wack the ball into space.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I quit worrying about tempo years ago. For me a slow takeaway and pause at the top works best. Same with putting. Watch the LPGA sometime. Most do the same thing as I do.

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
I quit worrying about tempo years ago. For me a slow takeaway and pause at the top works best. Same with putting. Watch the LPGA sometime. Most do the same thing as I do.
I have a fast backswing and no pause at the top. Tried getting a lesson once and he tried having me slow it down and pause at the top. Screwed me up so bad it was horrendous. He was baffled, finally he said just swing your swing and then I drilled a great shot. He just shrugged and said right on haha.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.