• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tempo Tempo Tempo

N

niner

I just wanted to share this amazing thing I came on to.

Every golf profesional will tell you that tempo is so important in a golf swing. But most of us never really know what it is like to swing with tempo or rhythym consistantly, so we never know how important it really is.

I found this little CD on ebay called The TEMPO CD for $4.00 and it has done absolute wonders for my game. I have been playing golf regularly for about 12 years and not until now do I know what it is like to swing with rhythym and tempo.

Here's how it works: The CD has 4 different sounds to choose from with 4 different tempo speeds that they are played at. I chose the Ocean tracks at average speed... which I will you use for my example. So you play the cd track in a place where you can swing a club.

The CD plays a "click" and then there is the sound of waves coming in to shore with a slight "pause" and then the sound of waves going out... then there is about a five second pause and then it repeats: "click" waves in "pause" waves out.

So what you do is... when you hear the "click" you start your back swing with the rhythym of the waves coming in... "pause" then start your down swing with the rhythym of the waves going outwith complete follow through. Wait 5 seconds and repeat!

The tempo speeds are claimed to matched with top Tour players like Tiger, Phil, Vijay, and Annika. From slow to fast... you can find one that fits your swing.

This makes it very easy to repeat in your head before a shot or during a shot.
After swinging to it in my house I got the hang of it. I took it down to the range with my portable CD player and started to hit balls with it playing over and over. I started to hit balls so crisp and clean without even thinking. I was just swinging to the beat of the ocean waves...At first I started swinging with the waves... then after a while I would swing right after it played...like repeating the tune I just heard with my swing. Now when I'm on the course when I take my practice swings before I hit a shot I repeat those ocean waves in my head then step up and hit the shot without anyother thoughts. Miracle!!!!!!!! So thats how the pros do it....

For $4.00 how can you beat it. Its the cheapest thing I have ever bought for golf besides tees (and maybe a recycled ball or two).

Try it out it is definately worth the money!

Here is a link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7162518539&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Or you can just search The TEMPO CD on Ebay

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Or you could just save yourself the money and count one going back and 2 coming down.Tempo is created in the first 6 inches of the backswing,sort that out first,then watch Ernie do the one/two count.

You may get some sceptical posts,justifiably so when your first post is promoting a product

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Talk to Bravo here on this site. I'm pretty sure he's willing to provide tempo wavs for free to anyone that wants one.

Search the archives, i'm pretty sure it's posted here someplace.

R35

MBeachGirl

Shooting Star
May 31, 2005
dave. said:
Or you could just save yourself the money and count one going back and 2 coming down.Tempo is created in the first 6 inches of the backswing,sort that out first,then watch Ernie do the one/two count.

You may get some sceptical posts,justifiably so when your first post is promoting a product
Hmmm, I would have thought that the count would be the other way around...two count going back(slow easy backswing), followed by a one count,(downswing with power) and an additional count,(for proper follow through). Just my thoughts.

Have a nice day.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i understand the tempo thing although i dont count or anything.just that it seems i have my best (and longest) drives when im more worried about making solid contact and not trying to crush it.
but also grip pressure and tension in the muscles play a big part. i can see how listening to ocean waves would have a calming effect.

OP
N

niner

dave. said:

There are so many ways to count one two...can you explain to everybody what exact speed to count it at and repeat it at... over and over. I heard Vijay explain that is one way to find a tempo speed... but when asked is that something he used? He grinned and said no!

It is too inconsistant, I've tried the counting one two method also... and just as you can speed your swing up you can speed your counting up. No consistancy. You need to hear the rhythym over and over again to repeat it. Just like a catchy song that gets stuck in your head.

I'm sure by promoting an item that worked for me that cost $4.00 on ebay is not going to make anyone rich...I'm just sharing what worked for me...We have all spent much more money on useless golf equipment!

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Fred die Cou ples. I don't use it anymore since getting the tour tempo tones but it works pretty good.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
wirehair said:
Haaaaamburger. Try it.

Dude, you have me missing my GR avatar. It do work tho. ;)

I have been using "seventeen" for my backswing, then a visualization of the clubhead coming through the ball. As Vijay said, "It's hard to say seventeen too fast."

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
niner

I am sure everyone knew I was using a metaphor for saying something that promotes even tempo.Personally I do use 1-2 at the speed that suits me.

OP
N

niner

Dave

I just never knew what tempo speed suited me, so I guess by following a couple different ones I was able to find which one suited me best. So by telling someone just "count 1 2" or "seventeen hit" isn't really the answer to finding a good tempo to swing at.

The pros like Ernie, Vijay, "Fred die" and maybe even youself... have hit thousands of balls a day and have mastered what tempo works for them, that is why they are where they are. They use the "1 2" method or "seventeen hit" just as reminders of where they need to be.

But for those who struggle with tempo first need to find it...then repeat it over and over.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.