• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ten finger grip?

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Anybody use a ten finger grip?

I've always used the interlocking but today I started chipping with a Ten finger grip and was getting a great strike so later in the round I tried a Ten finger grip on a Drive, Hybrid and a couple of approach shots & I was very impressed. I have been struggling with a hook of late that was caused by my right hand being to far under the club, moving it more on top straighted me up but I couldn't find the perfect place consistantly. I'd think I'd cracked it firing a couple down the middle but then I'd miss left or right and struggle to find the right spot again. This has been happening for about 6 weeks and every time I think I've cracked it the wheels fall off again. With the Ten finger grip today all my chips/pitches were sweet and the 4 full shots I hit were great. I'm just curious to if there is any real reason as to why this grip is not really taught? Should i try to make the switch or is there some reason the interlock or overlap are the two prefered style of grip?

BTW, The best player I know uses a Ten finger grip (plays off 1).

Dawg64

Oct 27, 2006
Manchester, I have played with the ten finger grip, for about two years. It was very consistent and I felt that it was easier to release the club. Last year I changed to the overlap and had a most succesful year, lowering my handicap to 7 from many years of being stuck at 10. The ten finger grip only took a couple of games to feel natural. Stick with it you may be surprised by the success.

Dawg64

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
I have always used the ten finger grip, it was the most comfortable way for me to hold the club and i have never changed. Whenever i try a interlocking grip i feel like the club is gonna fly out of my hand and i get a slice.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
The only reason I've ever heard to use one over the other is just space on the grip. If your hands are too big a 10-finger grip is harder to fit on there. If it works well for you, by all means use it! At this point I'm just more comfortable with the overlapping (vardon grip) grip

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Thanks guys.

I wear small glooves so there's plenty of room on the grip for ten fingers. I'm gonna hit the range tomorrow and have a Ten finger session if the results are good I'll take it to the course on sunday and give it a blast.

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
I've been ten fingers since I learned the game as a kid. My Dad (who taught me a lot about the game) uses 10 fingers and he is 61. My son, who is 11, has started out 10 fingers as well......

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I've been ten fingers since I learned the game as a kid.

Me too - well - mine is more of a 9 finger grip, but I think we're talking about the same thing

do you guys keep your right thumb (for right handed player) on the shaft or over it? - in HS my coach had me move it over and I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing but it's been working I guess

row1031

Dec 25, 2007
A lot of good players use a 10 finger Grip. Tommy Gainey and Calvin Pete come to mind. There are a few others past and present. Heck there are still a few out there still using a cross handed full swing Josh Broadaway nationwide tour and Pat Brogden LPGA. There where a few other old timers that used cross handed grip on full swing (Papwa Sewgolum was one of them early 60s i think) Jim Furyk uses an unconventional grip to match unconventional swing. Double over lap.

I do think if you have a hands and arms type swing (one that requires you to time the release/cross over at impact) you may find that you will lose some club head speed.

If you have a swing that uses more of the big muscles and rotation to square the club face you should not see any problems at all (this type of swing has more a gradual release).

My thoughts anyway
good luck with it.

par5in4

Dec 24, 2007
I've often wondered the same question myself.

I found that when I had the shanks real bad, the ten-finger grip helped alot and even splitting my hands a bit made for some of my crispest hits ever. It really allows you to feel the wrist cock and I think it gives you a steeper angle of attack to the ball which would account for crisper strikes. I say give it a go. I've played many a round with that grip and am still toying with the idea of going back to it.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Me too - well - mine is more of a 9 finger grip, but I think we're talking about the same thing

do you guys keep your right thumb (for right handed player) on the shaft or over it? - in HS my coach had me move it over and I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing but it's been working I guess

I moved my thumb from over to on top and noticed improvement immediatly.

Feels like I gained more control.

I started with the ten finger then switched to overlap..been using that last two years...I feel like it works.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I use a interlock with my left hand wrapped way over my right, RH btw. But that's the only way I can get the face closed at impact. I guess it's all about what works for each individual like they say? And btw, who are they anyway?:laugh:

JamesR

Interlocking Now
Sep 25, 2005
Ten Fingering all my life, Ive tried overlapping and interlocking at the range, but it feels so unnatural because I learned 10 finger grip at a young age.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
The only reason we don't use a ten finger grip is because we are told not to and then get used to playing with another grip. Think about it, we need club head speed and the best grip to achive it is the ten finger.

Members online

No members online now.