• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ten finger grip?

jjgolfpro

Dec 6, 2007
The ten finger grip is actually recommended for shorter players looking to pick up more distance because it allows increased leverage on the club, especially for players with shorter fingers. I would make sure the thumbs stay in the same position though, pointing down.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Yes would most likely be a swing fault, and not the grip, ie the left wrist breaking down.

I wonder how far you could take this?

Index finger overlap for putting, no wrists

Interlocking for wedges, minimise wrists

Overlap for irons and fairways, control wrists

Ten finger for driver, let the wrists fly

I will give it a go. I wonder if anyone has ever played this way?

KNP

Jan 7, 2008
I wonder how far you could take this?

Index finger overlap for putting, no wrists

Interlocking for wedges, minimise wrists

Overlap for irons and fairways, control wrists

Ten finger for driver, let the wrists fly
I will give it a go. I wonder if anyone has ever played this way?

I played 8 holes tonight, I normally interlock but have been struggling with various things of late and decided to play overlap this afternoon. My ball striking improved dramatically.

However using the overlapping grip chipping/pitching around the greens wasn't quite so successful, the interlock seems to take the wrists out of it a little more although I don't want to be using too many different grips the game is complicated enough I don't want to make it any worse.

Let us know how it goes if you give it a try Dave.

p.s. Is anyone familiar with the grip Tiger uses for his wedge/short iron shots. I've got a pic on a local golf mag but no scanner so I can't post it. He seems to be using something similar to a putting grip with his left index finger overlapping his little/ring finger on his right hand. I dare not try it!:confused:

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
10 finger grip for me, right hand thumb on the shaft. I've been playing for about 5 years now and thats how I started. I've tried to interlock and tried to change grips before but nothing feel right...interlocking actually hurts my pinky......

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I think Tiger uses the classic index overlap for chipping, many pros do.

My experiment was a tad funny. There is no problem with using 4 grips, as above, but its bizarre. I have ever swung a club with the fat fingered grip, the interlock, yet I took to it easily, and even the ten finger grip. Took a few balls, but you can smack it hard.

I hated the session though, thinking about the grip all the time got just a little bit annoying, couldn't be arsed with it in the end. Its entirely possible to change grips though.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online