• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ten finger grip?

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i use a 10 finger grip.i have tried interlocking but i have short fingers and broke my ring finger as a kid and it hurt like hell with an interlocking grip.

i never really have messed around with a overlapping grip for more then a swing or 2.just felt like the club was gonna fly out of my hand.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Have used the 10-finger grip the entire time I've played this dastardly game. At times, have tried to convert to the Vardon (overlapping) or the interlocking style. Always seem to stay with the 10-finger. That's what feels most natural.

There are some things you must watch for when using the 10-finger grip.
1. Your right hand now has as much control as does the left. It is easy to get too active with the right and watch draws turn into hooks.
2. With the 10-finger grip, your hands can roll a little easier and take the club inside too quickly on the backswing. This, then, can cause an over-the-top move to get the club back "outside".
3. It is easy to allow the club to eek too far into the palms and the 10-finger can become a baseball grip. You must keep the club more "finger oriented" than "palm oriented".

Now, at my old age, I'm not interested in experimenting with different grips. Consistency is so important in this game. Make every attempt to decide which grip best suits your game... which grip will best allow you to return the club to square. It is difficult to score well, if before shots you are questioning... analyzing... what grip might be best. Whichever grip you decide on must become natural feeling just as how you pick up a fork or spoon when you have lunch.

Good luck as you seek to find the grip style that will take your game to the next level.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
UPDATE;-

I played 9 holes yesterday evening just hitting a few shots from different places, practicing, not getting one ball round. I was quite happy with most shots with a few that made me think i'm on to something here. Felt nice, Great flight, trajectory & shape.

Today I played 18 holes Matchplay and got my arse whooped big time!!! That said I had a nightmare front 9 and my mate was 1 under gross! I did hit a few nice drives and approach shots but my pitching, chipping & putting was pi$$ poor I'm affraid.

Back 9 I started again, mentally, and told myself to break 40 (par 35). I started off well with par 4 on the stroke 2, 10th. Also pared 11, but then two doubles followed, poor chipping/putting again I'm affraid. But then i played well & finished with par, birdie, birdie, par, bogey to come home in 38. I'm gonna stick with the ten finger approach for a while longer because the driving just comes easily, no sign of the hook's that have dogged my game of late & no silly slice that was creeping back in when preventing the hook.

A few things that i've noticed. When I have my thumbs making 'V's to my right shoulder i hit a slight cut sometimes slice. When i put them both straight down the shaft (as I did today) I hit it straight as an arrow. Does anybody know where I can read about the ten finger grip to see if I can find out how it 'should' be done?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Have used the 10-finger grip the entire time I've played this dastardly game. At times, have tried to convert to the Vardon (overlapping) or the interlocking style. Always seem to stay with the 10-finger. That's what feels most natural.

There are some things you must watch for when using the 10-finger grip.
1. Your right hand now has as much control as does the left. It is easy to get too active with the right and watch draws turn into hooks.
2. With the 10-finger grip, your hands can roll a little easier and take the club inside too quickly on the backswing. This, then, can cause an over-the-top move to get the club back "outside".
3. It is easy to allow the club to eek too far into the palms and the 10-finger can become a baseball grip. You must keep the club more "finger oriented" than "palm oriented".

According to Demaret thats all psychological brainwashing. Fast hands is what we all crave for, the faster the better, the best grip for that is the ten finger grip.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
2nd UPDATE.

I had a good session at the range tonight. I discovered that I've been hanging off the end of my clubs! I've gripped down slightly not choking but about half inch lower than it was. Result's 6 iron, great ball flight, straight down the pipe, no real shape just straight & powerful. Driver, again straight ball flight, I hit a couple that cut and a couple that drew but in the main the ball flight was straight as an arrow (I did pull a number as well but they flew staright) and pretty long. Not sure how long becuase the lights at the bottom of the range are poor. I will be hitting the range again tomorrow but so far so good for the ten fingers. I'm keeping both thumbs on top of the shaft, seem to have more control that way than if i place them down the side.

Anybody had there driver cut down an inch or so? I get a miles better strike slightly down the grip. (if it's cut down i can't creap back up without realising). I'm not that tall about 5ft10" so if i was custom fit for a driver surley it would be smaller than one for a 6ft+ player anyway, but there all the same on the rack.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I had a good session at the range tonight. I discovered that I've been hanging off the end of my clubs!Anybody had there driver cut down an inch or so? I get a miles better strike slightly down the grip. (if it's cut down i can't creap back up without realising). I'm not that tall about 5ft10" so if i was custom fit for a driver surley it would be smaller than one for a 6ft+ player anyway, but there all the same on the rack.

You already knew about the gripping thing, you were doing that when I saw you and you even had some tape on to stop you doing it! My driver is 44"

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
You already knew about the gripping thing, you were doing that when I saw you and you even had some tape on to stop you doing it! My driver is 44"

Exactly,that's why I'm thinking of making it a permanant move by cutting it down. Once I start hitting it well I creap back up to the end of the grip! How does playing a 44" driver compare to playing a 45" distance wise & swing weight wise? I know you will probably be a lot more acurate!

EDIT;- BTW, What the Feck you doing up at 0452 on a tuesday morning?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Lol, I started at 5.30 this morning! Swingweight wise couldn't feel anything, but put 3 strips on anyway to make me feel better. Staighter than a 45, its that simple.

KNP

Jan 7, 2008
I heard somewhere the ten finger grip provides good control but can cause a lack of distance (not sure where I heard that).

I have been using the interlock, but after having real problems on the range the other day found that changing to the overlap helped me a lot. It felt like my hands were working better together. I am now contemplating changing to the overlap permanently but I'll have to see some positive results quickly for me to be convinced.

Whatever improves your game in the long term I guess.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Thats wrong, the ten finger INCREASES hand speed. Vardon 'invented' his grip to SLOW his hands down, and every other pro jumped on it as the next big thing but frankly 99% of handicap golfeers need to speed their hands up, nit slow them down!

KNP

Jan 7, 2008
but frankly 99% of handicap golfeers need to speed their hands up, nit slow them down!

I would tend to disagree with the last point, most higher handicapped golfers struggle with accuracy because they try and swing to fast causing a lack of consistency in their swing.

Besides the point anyway, it comes down to whatever works for the individual. Nobody ever accused Jim Furyk of having the most orthodox swing, but I'd kill for his distance and accuracy.

RebornProphet

Nov 9, 2007
By 10 finger grip I assume we're talking about the "Baseball Grip"?

I was taught using the 10 finger/Baseball grip and have tried to move to interlocking or overlapping grips with absolutely no joy whatsoever.

I know that the Interlocking grip makes the club harder to turn in your hands, but it just feels awkward at the top of my swing for some reason.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I would tend to disagree with the last point, most higher handicapped golfers struggle with accuracy because they try and swing to fast causing a lack of consistency in their swing.

Besides the point anyway, it comes down to whatever works for the individual. Nobody ever accused Jim Furyk of having the most orthodox swing, but I'd kill for his distance and accuracy.

I didn't say that, they swing to fast as in hit from the top and therefore LOSE hand speed

KNP

Jan 7, 2008
I didn't say that, they swing to fast as in hit from the top and therefore LOSE hand speed

My apologies, I misunderstood.

Is the normal 'miss' for people that use the ten finger grip a hook or does it vary?

When I first started playing I had the ten finger grip, I found my right hand took over a lot causing accuracy issues.

Of course now I've found ways of having accuracy issues with all three grips.:laugh:

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Demaret, and also Harvey Penick, believe its the easiest way to pick up swingspeed is to change to the baseball grip, Penick refers to a player instantly increasing distance. It makes sense, Vardon designed the grip to SLOW his hands down, as many top players will be unable to control their hands at high speed, yet most amateur golfers would never have that problem.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.