• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tending the flag(Phil)

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
So I have a question. I didn't think you could have someone tend the flag for you if you were off the green? My understanding always was either in or out if you're off the green. Though Sunday at Torrey, Phil had to hole out for eagle from however far away he was and had Bones tending the flag. What's up with that?

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Rule 17-1

17-1. Flagstick Attended, Removed or Held Up

Before making a stroke from anywhere on the course, the player may have the flagstick attended, removed or held up to indicate the position of the hole.

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Hrm that's interesting. Wonder why I've always been told or though that if chipping or pitching, the flag had to be in or out?

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
I've never heard that, Slick.

Either way, I thought that was a pretty cool move by Phil. Phil knows how to make things exciting. The odds of him making that were probably 1 in 200K. Then when I seen him walk to the green then have Bones tend the flag, I thought, 'this is great for TV', he put on a show...Then he almost made it. Classic.

But why didn't he wait until Bubba finished? I felt his odds were better trying to reach in 2. Did he comment on that during his post round interview? I missed that.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Hrm that's interesting. Wonder why I've always been told or though that if chipping or pitching, the flag had to be in or out?

You have the option of leaving it in untended if your ball is off the green, or you can have it removed, or you can have it tended. I think the misconception comes from always being asked if you want it in or out when you are putting or chipping from the fringe. The third option is rarely considered, because if a player is far enough away that he needs it tended, he usually just leaves it in.

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
You have the option of leaving it in untended if your ball is off the green, or you can have it removed, or you can have it tended. I think the misconception comes from always being asked if you want it in or out when you are putting or chipping from the fringe. The third option is rarely considered, because if a player is far enough away that he needs it tended, he usually just leaves it in.

I wonder if there is anything on intent with this rule. Like if someone is tending the flag, do they HAVE to pull it? For instance say a players hits his chip shot, looks a little firm so the caddy leaves the pin in instead of pulling in hopes of the flag taking some off the ball.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I wonder if there is anything on intent with this rule. Like if someone is tending the flag, do they HAVE to pull it? For instance say a players hits his chip shot, looks a little firm so the caddy leaves the pin in instead of pulling in hopes of the flag taking some off the ball.

As long as no one is actually holding the pin when the ball hits it then it is fine. Nothing says you have to pull it or leave it in.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Would have been a mega stage for a full-on shank, eh? I thought it was great showmanship by PM. If I had to choose anyone in the world to hole out from that distance I'd be picking him up near the top of the bunch. Wedge master!

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006

If the flagstick is attended, then it's a 2 stroke penalty if the ball hits it.

Rule 17-3:

17-3. Ball Striking Flagstick or Attendant

The player's ball must not strike:

a. The flagstick when it is attended, removed or held up;
b. The person attending or holding up the flagstick or anything carried by him; or
c. The flagstick in the hole, unattended, when the stroke has been made on the putting green.

Exception: When the flagstick is attended, removed or held up without the player's authority - see Rule 17-2.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Would have been a mega stage for a full-on shank, eh? I thought it was great showmanship by PM. If I had to choose anyone in the world to hole out from that distance I'd be picking him up near the top of the bunch. Wedge master!

He would be my #1 pick.

His game is just awesome

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I'm also willing to bet that he will be world #1 this season.

🔥 Latest posts