• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tennessee golf in January?

RJTee

Reaction score
I am looking for advice from the Tennessee golfers on this forum on what golf courses are open and are recommended for play this time of year. I and a few other desparate Michigan golfers would like to drive down to your fair state to revive our golf souls (at least temporarily).

We are used to golfing in 40* weather with snow in the air, so when I saw that the weather channel is predicting a perfectly balmy temperature of 60ish
for Jan 7, 8, 9........:D. TIA.

Cheers,

RJ

PS-My backyard below.
Jan 1, 2008.jpg

I played 18 last week here in Cleveland, which is the Chattanooga area.
Can't beat the 16 dollar winter fee with cart, playing in 50+ degree weather.

Yesterday it was near 60, but today it dipped some.
60s in the weekend though.

This Dec has been rediculous for snow, I've had the snow blower out at least 6 times already. We got a nice 6 inch dumping on Monday and are supposed to get another 10 tomorrow???

Thanks for the info Tn, I golfed on a course near Gatlinburg last spring in a group outing but that is the extent of my golf experiences in Tennessee.

If you are in the Gatlinburg Area, be sure to check out River Islands...I believe it is at Exit 403 and Gatlinburg is 407. Played this weekend in Kingsport @ Cattails w/ 40* and drizzle...not optimal, but the course was in fantastic shape. Any idea on what part of TN you want to go to? You really can't go wrong w/ any of the State Park / Bear Trace courses.

TN Golf Trail:

If you are in the Gatlinburg Area, be sure to check out River Islands...I believe it is at Exit 403 and Gatlinburg is 407. Played this weekend in Kingsport @ Cattails w/ 40* and drizzle...not optimal, but the course was in fantastic shape. Any idea on what part of TN you want to go to? /quote]

Probably somewhere in the general area of Knoxville/I-75 corridor. Knoxville is about a 10 hour drive from where we will start from, so something that will keep us under 12 hour drive would work.

Kingsport looks interesting, how are the roads into that area? Easily accessible?

RJ

You'll be coming down on I75 to Knoxville from MI.
After you finish in Knoxwille, just run I40East about 50 miles to I81 North, for about another 50 miles or so, and go west/North on I26, and you're there.

If you are in the Gatlinburg Area, be sure to check out River Islands...I believe it is at Exit 403 and Gatlinburg is 407. Played this weekend in Kingsport @ Cattails w/ 40* and drizzle...not optimal, but the course was in fantastic shape. Any idea on what part of TN you want to go to?

Probably somewhere in the general area of Knoxville/I-75 corridor. Knoxville is about a 10 hour drive from where we will start from, so something that will keep us under 12 hour drive would work.

Kingsport looks interesting, how are the roads into that area? Easily accessible?

RJ

It takes me exactly 2 hours 45 min to get to Kingsport from Chattanooga. Depending on where you are in Knoxville I'd say its a bit over an hour depending on how fast you drive. The Cattails course is actually at the Marriott resort and you can get rooms for $56 on Priceline.com (name your own price for a 3-star in Kingsport). I have never been denied that $56 price. A good site to check out for discount tee times in the Knoxville area is golfnow.com and they usually have good rates for River Islands.

Lots of wildlife around Cattails...saw a group of 6 deer on Sunday, including one massive buck. They didn't seem too phased by golf balls or clubs, just kind of walked around us and watched as we played through. Let me know if you have anymore questions about the area. The only other course I have played in Kingsport is the Warrior's Path SP course, which has always been in good condition.

Thanks guys, for your help:).

RJ

I cansm second for the Chattanooga area. That's where I am; lots of great courses.

Bear Trace at Harrison would be good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424