• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

    We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

    Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Terrible reality

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
21,801
1,083
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Well, i think the blades have come to haunt me.

I went ot today and stunk it up with an 85. I was crushing the driver, dead straight and looong. But my irons gave up the ghost. Anything beyond a 7 iron was destined to be crap right off the face. Zero control, no swing plane, no crispness. Garbage, absolute stinking garbage.

This brings me to a point. Blades? I mean, come on, i woulda been 100+ today with blades. I think this talking and trying has come back to get me by biting off a bit of my game.

God, i gotta get some blades. Let's just settle this once and for all.

Frick!

Hey Sling, what's a guy gotta do to get a "blades" smilie? I can get Buddha under your desk, I'm almost certain.

R35
 

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
2,207
276
rockford35 said:
Hey Sling, what's a guy gotta do to get a "blades" smilie? I can get Buddha under your desk, I'm almost certain.

R35
I think a $5 bill would do it.

Ouch... Did I say that out loud? Sorry, Buddha-- it was too easy.

As to the blades, Rocky... I will not go without blades again, though I think the mp14s may have to go. I noticed my short irons and wedges wouldn't stick. Upon closer inspection, the grooves on them are pretty much used up.

The bright area here is that my favorite component manufacturer has a sweet set of forged MBs that look to be the bomb. They are on clearance: true forged musclebacks, a la Mizuno-type, multi-dip chrome finish. MMMmmmmm... Unfortunately, there is no way for me to hit them. I think though, that I will go against my usual rule of hit-first and trust the reviews, trust the quality I've seen outa their stuff in the past, and build a set. I mean, it's only $150. I'll let ya know how they hit if I order a set in. I'll even drive down and have Bravo give em a go, so you can have 2 opinions to consider. It may be an affordable way to get the forged blade fix.

awww.proseriesgolf.com_img_forged2004_lg.gif


Just look at that. Man! That is beauty.
 

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
2,207
276
Expanded view.

awww.proseriesgolf.com_img_forged2004.jpg


FORGED_BLADES_FACE_BACK_TOP.jpg


And for those wanting a combo set...

FORGED_CAVITY_HEADS.jpg


Gimme gimme some o dat.
 

jc@bg

Style guru
Sep 10, 2004
94
0
How much is that doggie in the window?

I mean, those Integra muscle backs look cool. How much per head? Or do you have to buy the whole set? I hit a bad iron shot once, so I deserve a 'nother set. :ausflag:
 

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
390
0
rockford35 said:
Well, i think the blades have come to haunt me.

I went ot today and stunk it up with an 85. I was crushing the driver, dead straight and looong. But my irons gave up the ghost. Anything beyond a 7 iron was destined to be crap right off the face. Zero control, no swing plane, no crispness. Garbage, absolute stinking garbage.

This brings me to a point. Blades? I mean, come on, i woulda been 100+ today with blades. I think this talking and trying has come back to get me by biting off a bit of my game.

God, i gotta get some blades. Let's just settle this once and for all.

Frick!

Hey Sling, what's a guy gotta do to get a "blades" smilie? I can get Buddha under your desk, I'm almost certain.

R35

If you want my opinion, I recommend forgetting the whole blade craze. Why on earth would you want to shoot a round 100+? Trust me, you don't.

and if I'm gonna get under a desk for a blade smilie, it better at least be for Cleveland CG's or TA-1's.
 

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
2,207
276
jc@bg said:
I mean, those Integra muscle backs look cool. How much per head? Or do you have to buy the whole set? I hit a bad iron shot once, so I deserve a 'nother set. :ausflag:
The heads are $10 a head, either forged MB, or the forged combo. They are marked down from a pervious $20 a head price for some reason. FWIW, all reviews I've seen on them score them a 10, comparing all aspects to the Zunos and Titelist 690mb. I am a staunch believer in hit before you buy, but I am sometimes a gambling man if the input is relatively small compared to potential pay-off, so I am seriously considering the purchase based on my experiences with Integra's products and the rave reviews. I'll probably either build a set myself, or have the guys at Taylor Golf build them and send them to me for $160 3-PW & SW. I'll keep you guys posted as to their pay-off if I do indeed go this route.

Also, FWIW, here is the complete description.

# Conventional Irons are forged on small presses at very high temperatures (1,000ºC to 1,150ºC). This method increases hardness, reduces density, and produces a rough surface. In contrast, Integra Micro Precision Forging uses lower temperatures (800ºC to 900ºC) and large presses to form very precise forgings with finely detailed markings. This method produces a much denser metal and a fine, smooth surface. Integra uses 120 dies to produce Micro Precision Forging iron sets. The increased density is very noticeable in the clubs’ sound, solid feel, and longer ball flights.
# Blade model was designed and developed strictly for Tour professionals and low handicap amateurs. These blades feature a classic profile with a thin topline and minimum progressive offset.
# Muscleback design distributes more weight throughout the back of the blade, especially behind the sweetspot.
# Compare to KZG® and Mizuno®
# Material: 1030 Forged Carbon Steel
# Diameter: .370 Parallel Tip
# Face Height: (Middle of 5 iron) 45 mm
# Finish: High Polish
 

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
2,207
276
buddha33 said:
If you want my opinion, I recommend forgetting the whole blade craze. Why on earth would you want to shoot a round 100+? Trust me, you don't.

and if I'm gonna get under a desk for a blade smilie, it better at least be for Cleveland CG's or TA-1's.
I agree with Montie that blades are an incredibly personal choice. I am sold on them myself. Some others may not fare as well. My main point is just don't be afraid to try them I always was. I am a mid-high handi, and I was still sold on them and hit them great. I'm especially sold on distance gain, point-and shoot accuracy, and how they bore through the wind and cured my balooning problem. But hey, one man's garbage, right?

Now go hug your daddy... :)
 

Bravo

Well-Known Member
Aug 27, 2004
5,822
15
bdcrowe said:
I think a $5 bill would do it.

Ouch... Did I say that out loud? Sorry, Buddha-- it was too easy.

As to the blades, Rocky... I will not go without blades again, though I think the mp14s may have to go. I noticed my short irons and wedges wouldn't stick. Upon closer inspection, the grooves on them are pretty much used up.

The bright area here is that my favorite component manufacturer has a sweet set of forged MBs that look to be the bomb. They are on clearance: true forged musclebacks, a la Mizuno-type, multi-dip chrome finish. MMMmmmmm... Unfortunately, there is no way for me to hit them. I think though, that I will go against my usual rule of hit-first and trust the reviews, trust the quality I've seen outa their stuff in the past, and build a set. I mean, it's only $150. I'll let ya know how they hit if I order a set in. I'll even drive down and have Bravo give em a go, so you can have 2 opinions to consider. It may be an affordable way to get the forged blade fix.

awww.proseriesgolf.com_img_forged2004_lg.gif


Just look at that. Man! That is beauty.

I would love to have the opportunity to hit these. I have not considered blades for years and use my trusty Titleist DCI's. If I felt I could use them and they would improve my game - I'd change in a minute.

What lurks in the back of my mind was when I changed FROM blades to cavitybacks, about 15 years ago. I went from Dunlop Australian Blades to Tommy Armour 845's. I dropped about four strokes pretty quickly.

But I am a better golfer now. All in all - this is a facinating subject though. :smilie_tm
 

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
6,545
4,979
bdcrowe said:
The heads are $10 a head, either forged MB, or the forged combo. They are marked down from a pervious $20 a head price for some reason. FWIW, all reviews I've seen on them score them a 10, comparing all aspects to the Zunos and Titelist 690mb. I am a staunch believer in hit before you buy, but I am sometimes a gambling man if the input is relatively small compared to potential pay-off, so I am seriously considering the purchase based on my experiences with Integra's products and the rave reviews. I'll probably either build a set myself, or have the guys at Taylor Golf build them and send them to me for $160 3-PW & SW. I'll keep you guys posted as to their pay-off if I do indeed go this route.

Also, FWIW, here is the complete description.

# Conventional Irons are forged on small presses at very high temperatures (1,000ºC to 1,150ºC). This method increases hardness, reduces density, and produces a rough surface. In contrast, Integra Micro Precision Forging uses lower temperatures (800ºC to 900ºC) and large presses to form very precise forgings with finely detailed markings. This method produces a much denser metal and a fine, smooth surface. Integra uses 120 dies to produce Micro Precision Forging iron sets. The increased density is very noticeable in the clubs’ sound, solid feel, and longer ball flights.
# Blade model was designed and developed strictly for Tour professionals and low handicap amateurs. These blades feature a classic profile with a thin topline and minimum progressive offset.
# Muscleback design distributes more weight throughout the back of the blade, especially behind the sweetspot.
# Compare to KZG® and Mizuno®
# Material: 1030 Forged Carbon Steel
# Diameter: .370 Parallel Tip
# Face Height: (Middle of 5 iron) 45 mm
# Finish: High Polish

BD
What's the url for this crowd?
IG
 
OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
21,801
1,083
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #12
I've always liked the look of the cleaner blades. I mean, i've never been on board as a huge fan or anything, but if i had a choice, it was the ones that had almost zero stamping. The Nike's look the best, but they suck in terms of feel IMO.

Golfsmith makes a set of blades too. 18USD a head tho. Still cheap, but i'd want a decent set makeup. Seniscore shafts plus grips, i might as well buy some OEM used off e-bay.

The grooves are my concern. I used my Ping clones for 10 years and I could still spin the ball back on an approach. I can really spin my wedge to 8 iron now, so much so, that i have to mentally prepare for it where i place my shots on some approaches.

Make a set up. If you don't like them, send them to me. Make sure they have S300 Seniscores in them. Don't worry about grips. :p

R35
 

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Top