• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Terrible slice off tee!! HELP!!

matt37

Jun 24, 2005
Hey,

I have a terrible slice off the tee with my drivers and woods.

It goes right almost immediatly.

Any help on cause and also how to correct would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Hey Matt:

Go see your local PGA Professional...this is a very hard thing to fix over the Internet

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Bravo's right, I've been trying for ages and I'm still mince...!

However...look at the sole of your driver...if there's a mark on the bottom, a mark from the tee, that starts in the middle of the club then leads away from the hosel (i.e. a diagonal mark leading away from you), then it's an indication of an out-to-in swing, a big cause of a slice. And then you need professional help or guidance to show you a few fixes.

Good luck, from a fellow sufferer!

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
THe only way to slice is an out to in swing path. You need a crappy 5 iron, a brick wall and a ball.

Line up with the toe of the club 1/4 inch from the wall, running parallel. Swing the club, you will smack the wall with the club. Swing again, you will smack the wall. After doing this about 5 times the brain will kick in and you will start swinging slower and staying in control. After you can consistantly not hit the wall you are cured. If you start to slice again you can use a block of wood instead of the wall to show yourself what a straight swing is.
It will take you about a hour and you will be amazed at the results.

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
obagain said:
THe only way to slice is an out to in swing path.

Really? what if my grip was wrong, stance too open, not turning hands over, holding the clubface open - but the swing path was ok??

Great tip, by the way!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Kilted Arab said:
Really? what if my grip was wrong, stance too open, not turning hands over, holding the clubface open - but the swing path was ok??

Great tip, by the way!

Then you'd hit a push. The out to in is what imparts the sidespin on the ball. If you had the above happen, you'd hit a big push. That's if you could somehow not have an out to in swingpath with all that shit going on....lol... :biglol:

R35

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Rockford35 said:
Then you'd hit a push. The out to in is what imparts the sidespin on the ball. If you had the above happen, you'd hit a big push. That's if you could somehow not have an out to in swingpath with all that shit going on....lol... :biglol:

R35

ha!

I'm pretty sure all else is ok, so out-to-in must still be a wee bit of a problem. reducing in frequency, but still raising it's ugly head from time to time...

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
If the slice is not too bad try the wood block, use an old iron because you will hit it every once in awhile. It is always good to get perspective and the wood lets you know what straight is, not what we think straight is.

KevinTPA

Aug 12, 2005
There are a handful of swing training devices available to cure this as well. Recently I had this problem and started researching the internet and stumbled across a website www.orangeloop.com

I was skeptical at first but it works. It was around $28.00 from what I remember. Not a bad investment and it will not damage your clubs.

I've also used a tee instead of a wooden block. It's probably not as effective but I didn't have a crappy club that I was willing to ruin. Just place the tee where you'd put the block. If you hit the tee, your'e doing something wrong.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Um, aim further left until you get your fault fixed. Almost sounds like you are hitting El Hosel. If that is the case, go to the range and when you address the ball, address it with the ball out on the toe of the club with a tee or another ball placed a few inches outside your target ball (similar to the wall theory from above.) If you are still hitting dead right there are some other factors at play and you may want to seek some help from a pro.

🔥 Latest posts