• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thailand Golf

mkrolewski

Jun 9, 2008
If you ever get the chance, play in Thailand.

I had a vacation in Bangkok and played a couple of rounds. With the warm and sunny climate, lots of water, and inexpensive labor even the average courses are very well maintained.

The ultimate addition is the Thai caddie. She (most are female) and her fellow caddies are dressed in coordinated uniforms and long brimmed hat/bonnets. Often they are extremely pretty. Many speak English, Japanese and/or Korean.

Generally they are very knowledgable of the course and really an asset to one's game. They provide a) carrying clubs or driving cart (typically required - one player per cart), b) shade on the course via umbrella (it is sunny and warm), c) a personal cheering gallary (that was surprisingly nice) and d) local course information. They are inexpensive (club house fee: 200-300 Baht or $6-9 with expectation of larger tip 1000+ Baht ($30)). Remember they are handling only 2-3 golfers per day.

Most courses only allow up to 3 caddies per player. I am not sure what they all are for. A local relayed a story of a police chief that alway had 5 caddies. An group can be surprisingly large - 4 golfers and 2-3 caddies each is quite a crowd. They do allow 5-somes and 6-somes. And it can be difficult to play through.

I found most of the courses have wonderful locker rooms, massueses (and cheap 300-400 Baht/hr), very good restaurants, and 3-4 manned beverage stops on the course serving food including sushi. I have no idea what additional amenities the rich private clubs have.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
:needpics::needpics::needpics:

Would love to travel and play places like this ;)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I played golf once in California with a Thai. He had the most difficult time keeping track of where his ball was, simply because he was used to having one of his three caddies do it for him! He was a nice guy, and a pretty good golfer too.

golfpro009

Nov 26, 2008
What courses do you recommend, im planning on going to bangkok for a week next month and want to play the best courses. Is it safe to go there now do you think, and if not, do you know anything about golf in Vietnam compared to the golf in Thailand. Know any good golf tour operators or should I just book everything on my own?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
What courses do you recommend, im planning on going to bangkok for a week next month and want to play the best courses. Is it safe to go there now do you think....?
As long as you bring a box of condoms and a gallon of DEET, you should be OK.

Siemen

Jan 29, 2009
Spam from Thailand

There are many golf courses in Thailand and the famous detinations are around Bangkok, Chaingmai and Spam Island. If you have never been to Thailand for golf before, Spam Island would be a good place for you and also family. They got many nice beaches, good 5* resort, international airport, international hospital within 543 square kilometer (Island size). Especially, they got 7 golf courses. many of them used to host many big tournament i.e. Johnnie Walker Classic, Honda PGA Tour, Ladies PGA Tour, Thailand open etc. Another good point is golfers can play golf for whole year round. Try this link *Spam.yucky* for more infomation if you wish to know more about Spamming golf courses. Let schedule next vacation to Thailand and make sure that you plan sometime visiting Spam Island. Cheers!!

Go away, spammer!

Skidkid267

Hopelessly Addicted
Apr 22, 2009
Someone said they wanted Pics? This place is called Phoenix Golf and Country Club. 27 holes nice layout and great conditioning and wonderful caddies. My caddie was named "San" and had been working at the club for 10 years, it was nice to never have to line up a putt, just proper pace into the hole I think I had like 25-26 putts one day. I have some areial shots of this place too. Standby...
SAN  THE CADDY.jpg
PHOENIX GOLF BUDDAH.jpg
PHOENIX CC 9TH OCEAN.jpg
MOUNTAIN 6TH AT PHOENIX.jpg

Skidkid267

Hopelessly Addicted
Apr 22, 2009
Here's a few pics of Phoenix Golf Course, btw, this is near Pattaya Beach. About two hours from Bangkok by bus or car. Of course I had to include the pic with the UH-1N Huey gunship :).
P5261217.jpg
P5261218.jpg
P5261219.jpg
P5261220.jpg

Skidkid267

Hopelessly Addicted
Apr 22, 2009
Yep, really nice too. Good pro shop, nice restaurant,huge locker room with showers and plenty of towels. This is pretty much the norm for most courses. It is needed when it is 107 Deg F. and 95% humidity! Really alot of fun though.

Skidkid267

Hopelessly Addicted
Apr 22, 2009
Weekend, club rental, caddy, booking fee, tip for caddy. All in, less than 80$ U.S.:smilie_cl Oh yeah, lunch of Pad Thai noodles and two large Singaha's...$4.00!

otakueric

shottalk newbie :)
Apr 13, 2008
I had the same experience in mainland China.
I had two caddies, one would run to my ball as soon as I hit it, and one would be on my bag.
It makes you feel really bad if you hit into the long stuff, they scurry all over and try desperately to find it. Also they don't really take tips. the $4/each is pretty much all you pay.

🔥 Latest posts