• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thank You All!!

CybrSlicr

Aug 30, 2004
I just got back from my round of golf with my Thursday League. I posted a final score this evening of 42 (+7 for the round)!! The round included an 8 on the 3rd hole of the course (par 4), so I played 3 over for the rest. I cannot begin to tell you how excited I was about that.

This was week 9 in the league. I had shot 51, 52 or 53 for the first 6 weeks. After taking a lesson before week 7, I shot 49 and 47. Tonight I threw up a 42, which included an 15 ft eagle putt on the first par 5 (I missed it but birdied anyway).

I owe alot of it to this board. I have spent the last couple of weeks reading Rotella and listening to many of the "mental game" suggestions on this board, and it worked great tonight.

After the 8 on the 3rd hole, I blew my tee shot on 4 (a par 3). Instead of getting upset, I focused on the 2nd shot and ended up with a bogey for the hole. I followed that up with par-bogey-birdie-par-bogey. Very solid round.

I hope I can do it again next time out. But if not, I won't forget this round of 9 holes. Thanks again to all on this board. The advice you offer is helpful and most appreciated...

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
And Thank You for your post...this is one of the most fun things about the board for me.

And I loved your story about saving bogey on the Par 3...this is a very critical part of becoming a better scorer..keeping your head about you...

Another thing you will find once you get used to saving bogey...is saving par.

This happened to me in a round last weekend. Our hole 5 is a dogleg left par 4. There is a huge tree (three foot trunk) in the crook of the dogleg.

I hit my drive and found myself behind this tree. It was directly between my ball and the green. I could try to hit a fading ball around the left of the tree or a hooking ball around the right of the tree. Either shot would have to be perfect though and I felt my odds of pulling it off were really low.

So I just pitched out into the fairway, thinking I will play for bogey. I am lying two in the fairway with 120 to the hole on a sidehill lie...hit it flush to 10 feet and made my putt for par....

You have made a breakthough this week. Congrats...lower scores to come for you.

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
The mental aspects of golf are the most difficult to deal with. If I start out bad, and by starting I mean the first 3 holes at least, I have a TOTALLY crappy outlook on the rest of the round. I've driven off the course after 7 holes before. Didn't play 8 or 9, even though they were on the way!! Now, I have a lot in my head before I swing, "IS your head down, did you take the club back or did you pick it up again. Keep your hands straight, and don't twist. Keep your foot down and don't pull a Ricky Henderson--AGAIN."

CyberSlicr: Sorry for the story, I'm in a typing mood this morning. Congratulations on your round. I haven't tried a league yet. Are the guys in your league friends or just locals? I always feel more comfortable if I know the guys I'm golfing with. I hate when they group me with someone at the course. Always throws my game a little--at least at first. Anyway, way to keep your head and recover. I always say, Its only one hole. . .Until its 3 or 4, and then I'm in trouble!!

OP
C

CybrSlicr

Aug 30, 2004
Bravo said:
This happened to me in a round last weekend. Our hole 5 is a dogleg left par 4. There is a huge tree (three foot trunk) in the crook of the dogleg.

I hit my drive and found myself behind this tree. It was directly between my ball and the green. I could try to hit a fading ball around the left of the tree or a hooking ball around the right of the tree. Either shot would have to be perfect though and I felt my odds of pulling it off were really low.

So I just pitched out into the fairway, thinking I will play for bogey. I am lying two in the fairway with 120 to the hole on a sidehill lie...hit it flush to 10 feet and made my putt for par....

This is definitely the hardest part to implement - understanding the risk and resisting the urge to "be the hero" with the low percentage shot. By playing the safer shot, you put yourself in position to make a great one, and still save par. Last year I would have played the holes differently. I felt much more like a golfer yesterday.

Rotella's books have been fantastic for this. I know it's pretty much common snese, but until you read it and hear it (I also have the audio books), you don't make the conscious effort to do it.

With the help of this board, I look forward to more good rounds...

OP
C

CybrSlicr

Aug 30, 2004
SnapHook'R said:
CyberSlicr: Sorry for the story, I'm in a typing mood this morning. Congratulations on your round. I haven't tried a league yet. Are the guys in your league friends or just locals? I always feel more comfortable if I know the guys I'm golfing with. I hate when they group me with someone at the course. Always throws my game a little--at least at first. Anyway, way to keep your head and recover. I always say, Its only one hole. . .Until its 3 or 4, and then I'm in trouble!!

I enjoyed the story - it is a picture of how I usually play. If you go in looking for a particular result (bogey golf for example), and you hurt your chances early (put up a triple on the second hole for example), your mindset is you've blown the round. As you said, it can ruin the day. That was what I tried the most NOT to do yesterday, and I recovered from the 8 to play a good round (normally I would have added a 7 and another 8 to follow). Last night's round tells me that I can play this game, and will help me as I continue to play (knowing I am capable). I will trust my swing more...

About the league:
I didn't know any of the guys in the league except for my partner and the guy running it. He had room and my friend and I were looking for a league, so it made sense. The guys have all been great. We have had a good time so far, so it has worked out well. I would have felt much less comforatble in a league where I didn't know anyone. I do look forward to Thursday nights playing now...

🔥 Latest posts