• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

"That Hole"

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
Everybody's got at least one hole they've played that absolutely gives them fits time and again. What's yours?

Mine has always been #18 at Fox Run, one of my three home courses. 542 yards from the back tees, 518 from the ones I usually play. You tee off across a valley to the fairway which runs from 200-300 yards out, a slight dogleg right and some trees near the corner, somewhat uphill so it plays a bit longer. The trees aren't worrying about - they aren't high enough, although they probably will be in about five more years.

Thing is, as the scorecard shows, a solid drive will put you within 3-wood range of the green - a 240+ carry over water, and it's got four bunkers guarding it.

http://www.kentoncounty.org/county_departments/golf_courses/docs/ScorecardFoxrun.pdf

I've been a member there since I was 17 - and believe me, I've had more than my share of Tin Cup moments with this hole. It's ruined a LOT of rounds.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I think i have conquered that hole for me...

Surprisingly(or not) it was a 280yd par 4. Straight away, easy peasy.

Always tried to drive the green. Succeeded only about 1% of the time...even then best i ended up shooting on the hole was birdie...

Now, I hit 6I off the tee and have a nice easy wedge in to the middle of the green(very deep green) and i can easily par and sometimes birdie the hole. Never have to worry about putting it in the corn field left, or the houses right which used to happen quite frequently.

EDIT: Spelling...it was so bad spell check couldn't figure out what i was going for ...

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Ahhhh, we are talking about number 5 on my home course. Dog-Leg left, the numbers say it is driveble, (they lie). And the fact that a draw is not my natural shot just don't compute to a good score for me on this hole.

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
No Brainer for me. The par 4 18th @ Falcon Crest Golf Club

From the tee you have 2 options

#1. A 200 yd "layup" to a spot before the pond on the right. (pictured in photo). This forces a 200+ yd carry over the pond to land the green, or you can play a little wedge to the landing area left of that pond..but then you're playing your 3rd shot (but manageable) into the green.

#2. A very tricky drive over another pond on the left (not pictured). Gotta hit it a solid 275 in order to find the landing area to the left of the pond mentioned in option #1. And it better be accurate, or you're in some miserably thick rough with a downhill lie. The plus side is that it leaves you with a manageable 130-150 yd carry over the pond to the green, IF you hit the landing area.

I love/hate this freaking hole...and am tickled to death with a par (never birdied it)

awww.ballsgohere.com_uploads_63c753506b.jpg

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
It is hole #5 on the White Pine 18 at Brighton Dale Links course I have a season's pass at in Kansasville, Wisconsin. Besides having to get your drive perfectly down the middle through the narrow fairway it also has to be EXACTLY 240 yards to have a shot to the green (dogleg right). Too long and you have huge oaks in front of you and too short and you have the same thing. Here's the layout. I parred it the last time. I hit the driver too long and punched a de-lofted 3-iron between the tree trunks (which takes a miracle and a lot of luck too) to get an open third shot. Made a good shot and made the fairly long putt. It won't happen again probably this summer. This hole KILLS me. (Ask sssmokin about it). Oh yeah, did I say the second shot is also uphill?
hole5.jpg

OP
lamebums

lamebums

Jul 4, 2007
I figured I'd be better off posting Google screencaps like WBL did:

hole181.jpgp

And just to prove my point about the second shot...

aimg13.imageshack.us_img13_9949_hole182.jpg

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
A 240 carry over water is not "solid 3 wood range" for the average Joe. If it were me, I'd be playing this as a 3 shot par 5 every freaking time. Even with a 300 yd drive, still looks like a 200 yd carry over water..

Tough freaking hole, that's fo-sho.

OP
lamebums

lamebums

Jul 4, 2007
A 240 carry over water is not "solid 3 wood range" for the average Joe. If it were me, I'd be playing this as a 3 shot par 5 every freaking time. Even with a 300 yd drive, still looks like a 200 yd carry over water..

Tough freaking hole, that's fo-sho.

And there, you've described my problem. It's just close enough for my inner Tin Cup to attempt the shot if I've hit a decent drive. Which usually results in something like this:

"Give me another ball."

The logical shot is, of course, to hit a short iron over to the other part of the fairway, leaving you a 9 iron or wedge in. But hey, putting for eagle is a fun thing - the one out of three times I actually would clear the lake on my first try.

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
I'll hop on the Google map bandwagon to give a better perspective of my love/hate relationship with "that hole". One of the worst/best things about this hole, is that it's #18...so my solid round on this course through 17 holes can easily end up with a double. When this course first opened, there was no landing area to the left at all. It was an automatic 200+ yd carry over water. So many folks bitched, and said that they'd never return to the course because of that hole, they were forced to make the landing area (prior to that, the left side landing area was all pond), so that at least guys could lay up there (to get on in 3, and have a par opportunity), and give an option to get on in 2 with a solid drive to the left for those of us that dont like to attempt a 200+ yd carry over water.

awww.ballsgohere.com_uploads_31300d7379.jpg

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I have plenty of holes from courses that I play now that give me fits but nothing compares to the 17th at Highland Country Club in pittsburgh pa. 440 par four dog leg left around the side of a hill with the fairway sloping severly from left to right. Ideal tee shot will carry 265 in the air hugging the left side and roll out to about 130 in. Trees line the whole left side and are instant bogeys if you are in them. The tee shot is from an elevated tee across a valley but the last thirty yards or so are up hill so slightly less than ideal carry leaves you with an uphill lie hitting a blind shot around a bend. If you play it safe and bail out right away from the trees you're looking at 200+ into a green you can't see. There is a bunker short left of the green that is diabolical, the green as with most of the greens on the course is small undulating and fast. This hole alway gave me trouble, and the two holes before it were no slouches either many a good round spoiled by that finish. I am on my phone I will try to post pics later when I am home.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.