• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The 2008 Near Ace Thread

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
Well....

This thread is for ALL of our near aces this season. With as much golf as we play... we're bound to have several additions to this thread.

I've never had a hole in one, although I've witnessed 5 or 6 (all but one at PGA and Senior Tour tournaments). If you have made a hole in one... stop reading, you are not allowed in this thread!! LOL. Let those less fortunate that you have a little space on ST, please. (If you've made more than one, please jump in the nearest lake)

I came REALLY close two days ago.... and this thread is about sharing those near aces.

Playing a nice little course near home just north of the Indianapolis suburbs with my son, a few other realatives, and their kids who were in town for the Indy 500. 8 of us.

Little Par 3, about 140, pin in the front. No wind, as trees surround the hole.

Instead of jumping on a nine, I hit a nice solid :smilie_wi 8 iron. It's right at the pin the whole way, and hits C L O S E. One, hop, it spins back, and disappears behind the flagstick for a moment.... and then it emerges. We thought it was trickling in for a moment or two as the green slopes back to front, helping my shot towards the cup. From the tee it was hard to see exactly where I ended up, but I was two feet behind the cup, with a ball mark about five inches to the left of the hole.

Damn near slam dunked it!!

Please post the stories (may we all have more than one!) of your 2008 near aces.

Cheers,
Bryan

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Great thread!!!

I have several near aces this year. A couple weeks ago at golf practice on the 193 yard second, I hit a smooth 4 iron into the little breeze, fading right at the stick. Somebody said get up, I said get down, and then it hit the stick a few inches up from the hole. Ended up about 15 feet away.

In one of my first rounds this year in April, on a 146 yard uphill par 3, I hit a perfect trapped 9 iron. It was a perfect, towering shot, that landed a foot past and a foot left. It spun back to about 6 inches below and to the right of the hole. Which means it went OVER the hole to get there. :D

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
No near misses this year unless you count 5-6 ft as near. Really sucks when you 2 or even 3 putt it from there.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Have lipped out 6 times within 130 yards, lipped 3 times between 130 and 180 and another 3 outside of 180 yard par 3s.

Hit 9 sticks as well, 7 of which ended up off the green:(.

Have 2 career aces, both from 124 yards exactly;).

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Haven't really had any close calls this year, probably 3-4 feet.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I hit the pin on a 165 yard par 3 a few weeks ago. Ball flew into the pin and left a ball mark in the edge of the cup......ended up about 4 inches away. Fourth time I have been inside a foot....but no hole outs

Jason

WannaBeBogeyFree

May 23, 2008
Closest this year was 6 feet from a 195 yd par 3. Flushed my 5-iron and 6 feet was the best I could squeeze out of it. Darn it all to heck!

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
129yd hole
ahome.lagrange.edu_tummy_almost.jpg

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I had one about as close as Brandon's while playing with 2fast but that was off temp tees. 165 uphill with a 7i. That hole is 199 now, off the real tees.

OP
usa1950

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
Have lipped out 6 times within 130 yards, lipped 3 times between 130 and 180 and another 3 outside of 180 yard par 3s.

Hit 9 sticks as well, 7 of which ended up off the green:(.

That's one hell of a start to your 2008 season..... :wow:

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Not even, im playing like absolute crap, i'll be surprised if I break 80 in my upcoming tourneys the way im playing.

🔥 Latest posts