• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The 3 wood

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
The irony with the 3 wood (for me, anyway) is that when I'm hitting driver well, I rarely touch my 3 wood. If I muff one off the tee with driver, I'll usually go to my 2 hybrid which is only about 20 metres shorter than the 3 wood & a tad easier to hit. That's also because if I've dudded on off the tee, my confidence might be down, so I avoid trying to hit a 'harder' club like the 3 wood.

Today, was a perfect example of why IMO the 3 wood should not be forgotten. I was on a long par 4 & didn't get my drive away as long as I would have liked. I was about 220m out from the green & into a headwind. My 2 hybrid wouldn't have made it. I hadn't hit my 3 wood for a few weeks but I recalled this thread & thought 'what the heck'. I pulled it out, lined up the shot & to my surprise smacked it sweetly. The ball tracked like a laser to the green with a lovely little draw. One bounce in front & up and onto the green. I couldn't believe it. Then 2 putts for the par & I left the green with a big grin. ... and it was only the 3 wood that could have delivered the shot needed.

Wish I could hit it like that all the time. Geez it felt good. :)

Jon1221

Jul 28, 2010
i seem to have the same problem on occasion i have concurred that i mishit the ball like this when im trying to kill it and swing from the inside but cant get the clubface aroung and there is the block slice my $0.02

295yards

May 5, 2009
Kinda sounds like a game of golf!

Hmmm, 250 to the green? Should I lay up or risk going for it? : )

The best advice I can give is to only consider hitting this high risk shot when the golf course will let you.

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Was it the Axivcore J33?

Yeah, but it also happens with the Evo J33. And my previous 3 wood. And my buddy's 3 wood. I haven't had a chance to play in a while, but sometime this week I will get out to the course and mess with it. I want to try hitting some balls at the 150 sign then add some speed.

Staff online

Members online