• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The 300+ yard Dude

Strider

Mar 16, 2005
when i first started golfing, i played with a friend that was just starting too. i remember how he would tell me that he could hit it over 300 but when we played he would slice the ball terribly with every club. then one day, he connected with one and just destroyed it. the hole was in the 350 range and flew it onto the back of the green. eclark53520 can vouch for the hole since it was #14 at the DLCC.

i never doubted his ability to drive it that far after that day but i doubt that he could break 100.

as for my friend i play with nowadays, he has no problem hitting 300 with his 3 wood. last time on the monitor this winter, his first swing was 133 and peaked at 141. his ball would start climbing where my ball landed. worst part is he is a very good player with a +4 cap. he has the tools and can use them.

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
I hit a 300 yard drive plus several 2 irons that went 240+. Does that mean I'm a liar? No... I still can't putt. :(

I've had the !&$% kicked out of me by 80 year old guys who couldn't hit it more than 150, but they never missed a fairway, and they always drained those putts. It's demoralizing when you knife an iron to six feet, and they're 20 feet away, and then they drain theirs. Suddenly the hole looks REALLY small. :(

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I play (or used to play) with my neighbor Byron (The_Bomber in ST) and also ejdahl21 in here. Both just crush the ball. ejdahl21 swings pretty hard. Byron swings easy. Last summer I hit a great (for me) drive of about 265 and Byron was 100 yards beyond me!! 100 yards!! But I hit my hybrid on and we both parred it.... :D Amazing to watch those balls carry that far. :)

Eric's swing looked effortless, he is the only one I have played with that I can honestly say was over 300yds. Far too many people claim they can pound em out there & yet when push comes to shove & you actually play with them, then you find out internet yardage is a lot longer than actual. I would love to be able to pound out 300+ yd drives, christ I would like to just hit 260 everytime. Instead I will just have to be happy with my 220-240 yd drives.

5iron

wow IG good story, and thats crazy how that guy can drive the ball !

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
lot of my drives that are over 300yds is due to wind, roll and cutting across the fairways. i think w/ my swing, i could get true 300+ once out of blue moon.

ez can definitely hit. he hung in w/ me many times when he was on it.

i like to hit driver on every par 4s and par 5s because that's how i sometimes enjoy golf. seeing a beautiful drives. however, ez's kicking my arse of late, so i might have to thinking of other clubs to hit on the tee. i hate you ez. :D

Well, my point is not to blow my own horn... I'm just saying, I've played with 1 guy out of hundreds that could legitimately outdrive me. Since my long drives carry maybe 265-270 max. that leads me to believe in my experience that about .5% of golfer's hit it longer than about 280.

That one guy was at Triggs off the temp tees. He said he was a 2 and looked to be. He drove the short par 4 on the front on the fly, which was playing around 305, then hit a 4i into #10 the opposite way and made eagle, that drive carried about 290. Being able to actually use the distance is key, making 3's on 5's is using it.

Let's face it, at the courses we play, we should be looking at an eagle putt at least once, usually twice a round. So although both of us have potential that's a little above avg., we're still pretty much hacks.
icon10.gif

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I would love to be able to pound out 300+ yd drives.

No you dont, i dont believe i have played a course yet that has allowed me to legitamitly drive it 300yards more than maybe once....i have finally this year seen the light and started just picking a target in the widest part of the fairway and hitting it there whether it be 300 or 200...i let the score at the end of the round tell me how i played not how many times i get the guys i am playing with to say "Damn...he spanked that one!"

Althought it feels good to hear them say that its alot more satisfying to hear them say "Great score man!"

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Since my long drives carry maybe 265-270 max. that leads me to believe in my experience that about .5% of golfer's hit it longer than about 280.

Okay, let's take .5% for argument's sake. Google says that in 2004 there were between 50 and 61 million golfers in the world. Let's take the low end of that estimate.

That still leaves a quarter-million "280 yard dudes" in the world, which is room for a significant number of 300 yarders, too.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Well, we've also got to consider elevations. The course Twofast and I play most often is 4ft. to 38ft. above sea level. I looked at Wisconsin. Indianhead? Is that a familiar course? That one is 1220ft. to 1250ft. above sea level. Not sure how much difference it makes but I know it makes some for sure.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I've hit two 300+ drives in my life.

I hit one on Jasper Park Golf course, which is high elevation. It was a 600 yard hole, Uphill for about 150-160 then extreme down hill. I didn't even see it, my grandpa just told me it was a long way. This hole ran parallel to another hole and I was looking for my ball and some guys on the hole over pointed waaay ahead of where I was and sure enough it was mine. Total of about 306.

The next was at Wildwood golf course in Saskatoon, SK. Straight hole about 420 or so. Creamed one, felt so pure, went into the trees a bit. So I started at about 230 and looked until about 280, called it lost. Played another one. Walked through the trees some more and found it. So I was thinking damn this is pretty far. I walk straight out and I see the 100 yard marker. So in a straight line from my ball to the middle of the fairway I was about 110 out. I had a tail wind and I hit it pure.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
When I've played with partners who can pound out 300+ drives but no "game" otherwise it turns out they are or have had played serious hockey. That slapshot sure generates power.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I want everyone who boasts about the length of their drives to tell me the length of their johnsons. Because that's all it really it - bragging. Bottom line? I could give two shits how far you drive the ball, or how big your johnson is.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
There are times my johnson is longer than my drive... *sigh* ....

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
Most of the guys who think they hit it 300 aren't even close. Some actually do though and still play $hit golf. Some of the negativity surrounding it on the internet is fueled by jealousy I think. Honestly, I'm a better all around player than I used to be a few years ago but I can't drive it as far as I used to. Not sure exactly why. My irons, however, are just as long if not longer now. Of course I no longer hit these total abortions off the tee with the driver. I may pull it, hook it, push it or slice it but I'll still hit it solid. Back then I might top it, sky it, hit a wormburner... those shots just don't happen anymore. I suppose a measure of getting better off the tee is I'm taking balls out of play due to them being worn out, scuffed up from bunker shots mostly vs. losing them from errant drives.

Still, I've only played with 1 guy in 5yrs. that I'm 100% sure could legitmately outdrive me, so very skeptical. Twofast is not him, although he can hit a bomb every once in a while I feel I'm right there with him when we both hit it solid. He just happens to hit driver on everthing but a par 3.
icon10.gif

Come up here and see it happen from a 15 yr old :p

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.