• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The 400 yd Drive ? What is Happening ?

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I'll be the first to admit that I have never hit a ball on a flat more than 260 yards. My good shots are more like 240.

That said, I saw with my own 2 eyes a 17 year old kid bombing one drive after another over the 300 yard marker at my range. Into the woods gone. Where deer go to die. With a brand new FT-3 that daddy bought for him 5 minutes before. His old driver had the face dented in.

He has a good swing, his dad brags to anyone and everyone that the kid is turning pro next year. He certainly has the length for it. Whether or not he can putt????

A guy who used to be on our Men's Club was the longest consistent amateur I ever played with. He routinely bombed his driver well over 300 yards. He hit a 4I 240:wow:. I've seen him shoot a 4 under 68 in tournament play, but on his off days he could be somewhat erratic, ballooning all the way up to 6 or 7 over....:biglol:

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Funny story I remember from about 2years ago. My dad and I ended up playing the last 6 or 7 holes with 2 other guys. I don't know what this guy's deal was (I'd be willing to bet that cooler was on empty though) but he said "Oh yeah, I put it out there 300 all the time". So I wasn't hitting my driver very well on the first few par 4's. We get to the 402 yd. dead straight 17th. and he finally catches one he is pleased with. "Oh yeah, I got that one" he says. I said "Watch this" quietly to my dad under my breath. I pulled out a 3iron and out drove him by 10yds.
icon10.gif

I'll never forget that perplexed look on his face as we get to the balls and I walk by his. lol.
You should have said "are you sure you didnt mean 300 feet?". I think wanting to hit the ball far has got to be some macho thing we are born with because my 7 year old is swinging so hard hes trying to kill the ball. He usually ends up topping it and i am always trying to get him to chill out.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Funny story I remember from about 2years ago. My dad and I ended up playing the last 6 or 7 holes with 2 other guys. I don't know what this guy's deal was (I'd be willing to bet that cooler was on empty though) but he said "Oh yeah, I put it out there 300 all the time". So I wasn't hitting my driver very well on the first few par 4's. We get to the 402 yd. dead straight 17th. and he finally catches one he is pleased with. "Oh yeah, I got that one" he says. I said "Watch this" quietly to my dad under my breath. I pulled out a 3iron and out drove him by 10yds.
icon10.gif

I'll never forget that perplexed look on his face as we get to the balls and I walk by his. lol.

You're just a mean boy!!

But, I like your style!!:D

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
You should have said "are you sure you didnt mean 300 feet?". I think wanting to hit the ball far has got to be some macho thing we are born with because my 7 year old is swinging so hard hes trying to kill the ball. He usually ends up topping it and i am always trying to get him to chill out.

I'm really not all that concerned about it anymore. I wouldn't be playing a 76 and a 77g shaft if I was. It's more about keeping 90% of my distance under 100% control now.

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
I'll be the first to admit that I have never hit a ball on a flat more than 260 yards. My good shots are more like 240.

That said, I saw with my own 2 eyes a 17 year old kid bombing one drive after another over the 300 yard marker at my range. Into the woods gone. Where deer go to die. With a brand new FT-3 that daddy bought for him 5 minutes before. His old driver had the face dented in.

He has a good swing, his dad brags to anyone and everyone that the kid is turning pro next year. He certainly has the length for it. Whether or not he can putt????

How big was this kid?

Big_Bang

They call me Tater Salad
Dec 27, 2006
Hmmm, did this camera break?

Post a swing, even a normal one, so we can see it. Because like you said, we'll get to the bottom of this one day ;)

Ok, mister critical..No, that camera didn't break, same one i been using. It's just low quality...I been using a digital camera with camcorder mode, but as with most lower quality cameras, the picture was blurred, and it wasn't sensitive enough to capture every little increment of my swing...but seeing as you won't be happy until I post a picture/video of some sort, I guess I'll buy a $500 camera, (money that could be going towards better things, like golf clubs!) with the money out of my magical refilling piggy bank...christ, dude give me a break, I ain't rich! I'm just a poor ass farm boy, from Texas, who was lucky enough to get his first set of clubs, passed down to him, and was even luckier to have gotten as good as I am. (Thanks to my cousins, I might add.) I will try to at least get a picture, but with a camera that only shoots with a delay, it's gonna be tough. I don't know what kind of info you'll get off a picture, but I will see what I can do.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
It's just low quality...I been using a digital camera with camcorder mode, but as with most lower quality cameras, the picture was blurred

Thats fine, all of the vids we post around here are low quality, a bit blurry and done with cameras in camcorder mode. So go ahead and post that swing, I would love to see it.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
I don't know what this guy's deal was (I'd be willing to bet that cooler was on empty though) but he said "Oh yeah, I put it out there 300 all the time". So I wasn't hitting my driver very well on the first few par 4's. We get to the 402 yd. dead straight 17th. and he finally catches one he is pleased with. "Oh yeah, I got that one" he says. I said "Watch this" quietly to my dad under my breath. I pulled out a 3iron and out drove him by 10yds.

And you can guarantee that guy you played with is out there on the internet somewhere, wading into a thread just like this one, and telling anyone who'll listen how 400yd drives are easily possible because he once played with a guy who hit his 3 iron over 310yds...

:p

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
And you can guarantee that guy you played with is out there on the internet somewhere, wading into a thread just like this one, and telling anyone who'll listen how 400yd drives are easily possible because he once played with a guy who hit his 3 iron over 310yds...

LMAO, that is for sure.

Big_Bang

They call me Tater Salad
Dec 27, 2006

Oh yeah? a 3 iron 310?? Damn, I've never hit mine like that.

Big_Bang

They call me Tater Salad
Dec 27, 2006
Thats fine, all of the vids we post around here are low quality, a bit blurry and done with cameras in camcorder mode. So go ahead and post that swing, I would love to see it.

Ok, how do I do it? Post a video I mean. If I have to sign up for anything, than you'll just have to settle for a picture.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
www.Putfile.com, real easy, most of us have posted vids. I just want to see this powerful swing. You're not making excuses are you?
Just post the vid. A picture just doesnt cut it. You can do it.
Anyone who hits 330 yard drives with ease should be able to post a little video.

Big_Bang

They call me Tater Salad
Dec 27, 2006
www.Putfile.com, real easy, most of us have posted vids. I just want to see this powerful swing. You're not making excuses are you?
Just post the vid. A picture just doesnt cut it. You can do it.
Anyone who hits 330 yard drives with ease should be able to post a little video.

With ease? I think I clarified in a previous that was an exaggeration? I can't hit 330 easily, I do gotta give it a bit of power...but ok, I'll give it a try, as long it's pretty simple. I may have it posted by tommorrow. Talk to you then!

🔥 Latest posts