• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The 400 yd Drive ? What is Happening ?

burlguy

Oct 23, 2006
It seems like every 400 to 500 drives I get one that just defies the laws of physics. I hit average 230-260. Iam not a long hitter. But evey once in a while I just forget what I am doing and swing and the ball flies, like it has wings. I have noticed that most of these swings I notice very little physical effort and my hands are traveling on an in to out path. I would like to say I feel the club accelerating through impact but I dont really feel anything like that. It is just like everything is flowing. Please somone let me know what is happening or if it has happened to you and what you have noticed.

Just wanted to mention I have managed to dent my TP R7 460 right below the face on the hozzle side. I hit kind of down on the ball and the Tee dented it. I hope they take care of it.

Back to the 400 yd drive what are everyones comparisons? What have you all noticed. Just about everyone I have talked to at the course has said they have had a shot that defied there expectations and did not know how it was produced.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
A good bounce and tons of roll can net you some 400 yard drives.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Not to mention a 35mph tailwind and massive elevation drop.

Still, I would be lucky to find the fairway at Kapalua.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Oh come on Doc your not Senile yet, you could find the fairway, like me I doubt you could find your ball after your teeshot, but I give you a better than 50% chance of finding the fairway.:prop:

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Its about time the pro's have caught up, people on internet message boards have been hitting 400 yard drives for years.

Big_Bang

They call me Tater Salad
Dec 27, 2006
Your not alone. I have noticed the same thing..Every now and then, you just forget everything and swing away, and the results can be dumbfounding. Just a few weeks ago, I hit a teeshot that landed within 10 yards of the green. On a 580 yard par 5! Now granted, the hole went straight, then turned straight right, at a 90* angle, but the teeshot still had to have been a good 410 Yards! I am about to buy one of those I-Golf things, so the next time this happens, I can have it all on record, and know what is happening. WHen I hit my long shot, I did feel something different...It did feel effortless, but unlike you, I did feel the club fire through the ball, but I didn't actually feel the club hit the ball, I just heard it. All I saw, was the ball going really fast, towards where I hit it. I watched until it was aobut 50 feet form impact with the earth, then I lost sight of it..I was shocked when I went looking for it. At first I din't see it, but after evertone else hit their shots, I found mine, sitting in the midle of the other fairway, 10 yards short. Easiest Eagle of my life. If it happens again, I'll post it. I tried numerous times to capture a "long drive", but none were all that special, just noormal distance. Hmmmm, looks like we'll get to the bottom of this one another day.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
effortless, I can carry 285 yards tops and it is far from effortless, if my shoes werent tied tight i would fly out of them. If your hitting 400 yard drives with a 45" club then you need to get a longer shaft and go on the longdrive tours.

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
I hit it 390 once. One time. And it was a coincidence of events that led to it. Hard swing, 46", 8.5 degree driver, good height, slight tailwind, straight first bounce, hard fairways, and managed to roll down a little slope too.

Now, i hit the ball pretty far. I've hit a 190 yard 9 iron in a long drive contest with a friend who wasnt too good. Ive hit a couple 8 irons downhill that have gone well over 200 yards. Ive hit into multiple par 5s with lob wedges, and driven tons of par 4 greens. When I'm having a good day, i've never been outdriven on a good drive, even by players much better than me. And i still have yet to see the 400 yard mark.

Please, gurus of the internet, tell me how its so easy to do?

Not saying that either of your stories are untrue, but of the hundreds of claims to hit it 400, i doubt 10% are not exaggerated.

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
I agree with lyle, i doubt you hit too many 400 yard drives, they have to at least be 450 or 475.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
So you avg. 230-260 and get a very long one once in while... You are using a TP version of the R7460? Every TP I've ever hit (I have 3 now) has like a sweet spot inside the sweet spot. It is like the head of a pin but when you hit it there, dead square (like the pro's do every time) it takes off with about 10 mph. more ball speed easy. I hit the R5TP around 250-260 off center, 270 on the spot inside the inner score marks and around 280 if I get the real "sweety". I know when I hit this because the sound goes from loud to ear ringing.

PS- Don't ever use the word drive and the number 400 on this forum, even if you are joking.
icon10.gif

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
i played with one of my suppliers - he's an ex challenge tour pro - still off 0 - and on 2 consecutive holes he was around 390+ my jaw stayed on the floor for quite a while that day. I know the yardage because the hole was 419 yds and he was in the front greenside bunker off the tee!!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Its about time the pro's have caught up, people on internet message boards have been hitting 400 yard drives for years.

:D

Great post.

I can claim to have hit a "400 drive", but the ball didn't travel 400 yards. How so? Dogleg left par 5, aimed 50 yards left and hit a hard cut bringing the ball onto the top of a hill on the left side of the fairway, where it kicked hard off the backside and rolled another 125 yards. Carry was probably 280, but because of the the angle, it would have been measured 400 yards using the fairway. 550 yard par 5's coming home in 2 with a wedge is nice. :D

The farthest I've driven it on a straightaway hole without the aid of a tailwind is probably 340. I'm sure I've hit balls longer, but without help, that's probably my longest. Great BiG Bertha II with Grafalloy Blue stiff tipped 1".

Why did I get rid of that driver again? Oh right, I'm an idiot.:dead:

R35

Big_Bang

They call me Tater Salad
Dec 27, 2006
effortless, I can carry 285 yards tops and it is far from effortless, if my shoes werent tied tight i would fly out of them. If your hitting 400 yard drives with a 45" club then you need to get a longer shaft and go on the longdrive tours.

Naw, I can't do that! I got the distance, but not the concentration...the people would screw me up...Plus I don't hit them too often. Is hitting 400, really that hard to believe? That is nothing in todays standards. Ever heard of Scott Smith? 530+ yards, in a long drive competition. He is the man! As to me getting a longer shaft...I'm only 5' 7", how much longer do you want it? I'm already pushing the limitit as it is.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
That one swing that is effortless and perfect, that is YOUR TRUE SWING. All these other shitty ones is the swing that our minds have given us. That swing is called athletic ability.

I have hit a 410 yard 3w, but never a driver. I was 10 yards short of a 420 yard dogleg right. Although i had a little help from being 50ft up and hit i have no clue wat on the fw to shoot it straight right towards the green. We couldnt find wat it was in the fw i hit though... there was no sprinkler head or nothin... musta been a buried rock:) LD for me has been about 330ish probly.

🔥 Latest posts