• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The 400 yd Drive ? What is Happening ?

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I'm probably late, but will chime in on this. For two days when I caddied in Colorado for the city championship we had a kid in our group from Texas who played golf for CSU. I'm not short at about 6' 2" and I will say that this guy was a pretty big guy - I would say about 6' 4" maybe 6' 5" and pretty stout, but not huge. He had a Cleveland Launcher Comp with a Stulz shaft that he borrowed from a local pro because the airline lost his clubs on the way to the tourney. He swung out of his shoes, literally on every drive. He truly subscribed to "bomb and gouge". He would slip (it was a little damp) he swung so hard. He loved the driver and was complimentary on nearly every drive on its length, even if it wasn't straight. I know his yardages, since I was caddying at the time I had to keep track, and while he was always near 300, it was not that often that he hit much over. Everyone who was in our group, and even others in latter groups talked about Brett's drives. Based upon the fact that we were in a championship flight, I would wager that not too many ams out there are killing drives over 300 very often, let alone 400. I don't want to accuse people here of falsifying stories, but this is just my $0.02

Big_Bang

They call me Tater Salad
Dec 27, 2006
I'm probably late, but will chime in on this. For two days when I caddied in Colorado for the city championship we had a kid in our group from Texas who played golf for CSU. I'm not short at about 6' 2" and I will say that this guy was a pretty big guy - I would say about 6' 4" maybe 6' 5" and pretty stout, but not huge. He had a Cleveland Launcher Comp with a Stulz shaft that he borrowed from a local pro because the airline lost his clubs on the way to the tourney. He swung out of his shoes, literally on every drive. He truly subscribed to "bomb and gouge". He would slip (it was a little damp) he swung so hard. He loved the driver and was complimentary on nearly every drive on its length, even if it wasn't straight. I know his yardages, since I was caddying at the time I had to keep track, and while he was always near 300, it was not that often that he hit much over. Everyone who was in our group, and even others in latter groups talked about Brett's drives. Based upon the fact that we were in a championship flight, I would wager that not too many ams out there are killing drives over 300 very often, let alone 400. I don't want to accuse people here of falsifying stories, but this is just my $0.02

A cleveland launcher comp? Someone give that man a GBB!! Not too many people hit over 300?? Watch the LD competition!! A good drive is 360+!! The world record drive is 530+yds!! (including bounce)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
A kid from UConn drove the green on the 11th at the course I play. The tee is elevated a good 30ft. higher than the green but still, he carried it on there and it's 350yds.That's a solid 50yds. longer than my longest on that hole. I really got to get up there to watch the NCAA tourney and the RI amatuer stroke play this year.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Not too many people hit over 300?? Watch the LD competition!! A good drive is 360+!! The world record drive is 530+yds!! (including bounce)

How many people are there competing in Long Drive competitions? A couple of thousand around the world tops?

What percentage of the between 50 and 60 million golfers in the world today does that represent?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
:biglol: ROTFLMFAO Ain't that the truth... Post of the year... So far.

And you can guarantee that guy you played with is out there on the internet somewhere, wading into a thread just like this one, and telling anyone who'll listen how 400yd drives are easily possible because he once played with a guy who hit his 3 iron over 310yds...

:p

Big_Bang

They call me Tater Salad
Dec 27, 2006
How many people are there competing in Long Drive competitions? A couple of thousand around the world tops?

What percentage of the between 50 and 60 million golfers in the world today does that represent?

Does it really matter? Aren't they golfers too? You right there are a few thousand competing in LD, roughly half of them drive over 300. That seems like a lot of people don't it? I wasn't talking about everyday golfers, I am talking ALL golfers. I have seen more than a few 300 yard drivers at my course, pounding the driving range.

LG, you are just trying to stir the pot ain't you?? I do get it. But you are arguing the wrong point!! Forget it, I ain't gonna waste my time, posting a video for you...I can't do it anyway. I have physically witnessed people driving over 300, close to 400, not a lot, but every so often, you get that dude on the course...anyway, remember my cousin, I was talking about? I should send you a video of his swing..I can guarantee you, he could 400 with my driver..that's another aspect you don't understand. MY driver isn't normal!! It's legal, but it was specifically designed for LD, and that helps tremendously..seeing as it is about 20 or more yards longer than any driver I have ever heard of.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Being that I build clubs I have good idea of what a long drive club is. And being that I grew up on a farm, I have pretty good idea of what bull crap is as well.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Being that I build clubs I have good idea of what a long drive club is. And being that I grew up on a farm, I have pretty good idea of what bull crap is as well.
I visted a farm once and we had a cow patty fight, my cousin told me to find the ones that were mushy in the center so when you hit the other person they splat really good. Needless to say I couldnt hit anyone because those things arent the easiest to throw.

Big_Bang

They call me Tater Salad
Dec 27, 2006
I visted a farm once and we had a cow patty fight, my cousin told me to find the ones that were mushy in the center so when you hit the other person they splat really good. Needless to say I couldnt hit anyone because those things arent the easiest to throw.

AWWW, fun times on the farm, eh? :) I find a good technique to keep them from splating is to use both hands, and throw uderhanded,,but it doesn't go very far.

Sure, you build clubs, you having farming experience, and your an expert in swing fundamentals...maybe you should come down and meet some real golfers. I think your just a troll who comes on here to make trouble. Anyway, I'm going to my Wednesday night comp. at my course..see if I can outdrive that Korean kid...damn, he's good. I'm gonna take his money this time!

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I forgot to post my cousins swing speed....152.4.

Excellent, the highest swing speed ever recorded, even higher than Zubrick's 151. Good grief man.:(

FWIW, the last long drive club I build was a 6* SMT nemesis, with a JLG ultraboom 48 inch shaft in XXflex. The guy snapped it 5 swings in. Oh yeah, his swing speed was only 137.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
My longest drive today was about 232.. with a 3wood.
icon10.gif

I love these long drive threads. BTW I just measued my junk... 8 1/4 inches... but I forgot to ask, are you supposed to measure from the back of your b@lls?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I measure from my arsehole forward. 19 incher here big boy.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
My longest drive today was about 232.. with a 3wood.
icon10.gif

I love these long drive threads. BTW I just measued my junk... 8 1/4 inches... but I forgot to ask, are you supposed to measure from the back of your b@lls?
How do you measure if you tuck it between your legs?

🔥 Latest posts