• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The 400 yd Drive ? What is Happening ?

Big_Bang

They call me Tater Salad
Dec 27, 2006
Excellent, the highest swing speed ever recorded, even higher than Zubrick's 151. Good grief man.:(

FWIW, the last long drive club I build was a 6* SMT nemesis, with a JG ultraboom 48 inch shaft in XXflex. The guy snapped it 5 swings in. Oh yeah, his swing speed was only 137.

It was a typo, that's why it was erased. Actually around 135, last I heard.

The guy snapped it 5 swings in. Oh yeah, his swing speed was only 137.[/

Did you actually witness this??..Look, I never meant to stir up any trouble with you, so sorry if I did...I originally just wanted to tell about a freak drive I had, but this forum has blown out of proportion, just a bit. So let's just forget that shit. I just wanted to find a decent forum to talk about some golf. Just like I found a website to talk about shotguns. So, can we do that?
Wher you from, and what's your favorite course?

Watch out... where BB is from they measure from the bottom of thier mullet.
Jeez, that was lame..?? I measure from the base of my monkey, onwards.(and upwards in some cases)
ai16.photobucket.com_albums_b15_StyleElements_smilies_deadjerkit.gif

I measure from my arsehole forward. 19 incher here big boy.

Don't that interfer with your swing?? Gives you a little extra OOMPH in your swing?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
It was a typo, that's why it was erased. Actually around 135, last I heard.

You typed 152.4 instead of 135? Thats an interesting typo. BTW 135 is still faster than Tiger, and pretty much undoable for someone without some golf training.

Did you actually witness this??..

Yes, it broke about 5 inches below the grip, and the shaft shaft literally whipped him in the back.

Look, I never meant to stir up any trouble with you, so sorry if I did...I originally just wanted to tell about a freak drive I had, but this forum has blown out of proportion, just a bit. So let's just forget that shit. I just wanted to find a decent forum to talk about some golf. Just like I found a website to talk about shotguns. So, can we do that?

Then dont make up BS stories. Look, there are a ton of people here who know a lot about golf. I am a club builder and own a small shop, and have seen many a golf swing, including Canadian tour pro's, club pro's and long drive competitors. When you start spouting off about hitting it 330 easy, and a cousin with a swing speed of 152.4, you really come off as a total bull crapper, and with very good reason. Anyone who has been around the game for a while knows that those numbers just dont happen. This is a great forum, with great people, and the only advice I will give you is to tell the truth. You wont impress anyone here with numbers that are made up. Typos dont cut it either.

Big_Bang

They call me Tater Salad
Dec 27, 2006
You typed 152.4 instead of 135? Thats an interesting typo. BTW 135 is still faster than Tiger, and pretty much undoable for someone without some golf training.

Yes, it broke about 5 inches below the grip, and the shaft shaft literally whipped him in the back.

Then dont make up BS stories. Look, there are a ton of people here who know a lot about golf. I am a club builder and own a small shop, and have seen many a golf swing, including Canadian tour pro's, club pro's and long drive competitors. When you start spouting off about hitting it 330 easy, and a cousin with a swing speed of 152.4, you really come off as a total bull crapper, and with very good reason. Anyone who has been around the game for a while knows that those numbers just dont happen. This is a great forum, with great people, and the only advice I will give you is to tell the truth. You wont impress anyone here with numbers that are made up. Typos dont cut it either.

Alright 1 more pissing contest then, since you don't read I type apparently...I already said 3 times now 330 easy was an exaggeration, and wrong choice of words. 152.4 was a true typo, and it was posted for 5 seconds, before I caught it, how you responded, is a mystery to me. I never made up anthing I said, about my cousin or my freak drive. BTW, swing speed is irrelevent to distance, I have seen people hit it much softer, and still get good distance. FYI, my cousin has had golf training, and is more consistant than some pros. I know this is hard to believe, but you've never seen him play! I've seen him do some cool shit....and as far as I know, he's never been outdriven. (by amateurs)

I know what your going to say. "If he's so good, then why is he not pro?"
That is a question, I always asked him..the only answer I can give you..he's a lazy *******..he's knows how good he is..he knows he's pro material, but he has never had any drive for success, as he has leeched off his mom, his whole life. He's one of those people who thinks about tonights party, and not about huge success.

So anyway, getting back on subject..I too, know a ton about golf, as I live and breathe this game..if that's the way I came off, then I apologize, but in all due fairness, that story about that dude snapping that club is bullcrap. No way is someone with a swing speed of 137, going to snap an xxstiff shaft, unless he did something very wrong. I broke a BB, once, and it was because I made a mistake..

and why do you work for SMT?? HAHAHAH!! That's great!! You couldn't choose Cobra, or Integra?? Why SMT!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!! Almost ad bad as Ping....but that's just my unsolicited opinion.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
What a piece of work.

First of all, swing speed and distance do go hand in hand. One can assume 2.5 yards for every mph of swing speed with a driver, this is pretty common knowledge and is used as a guideline by almost every reputable club maker out there..
second, shafts snap all the time at high swing speeds. The flex of the shaft is irrelevent. Most LD'ers snap shafts up high as many LD shafts are butt soft and tip stiff. If you have spent anytime around guys with 130+ mph swingspeeds you would already know this. Jason Zuback for example, has broken 20 shafts in a 2 day LD competetion.
Third, I dont work for SMT, but SMT heads have won more LD titles worldwide than any other company, second is BANG golf.
Forth, you know a lot less than you think you know about golf, especially from a technical point of view, your posts make this very clear.
Fifth, you are full of crap, got called on it and are now in back track mode. You said what you said, and it was BS.
Sixth, this is my last post to you as you are a waste of my time.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
I dont even know how to repsond to this. If someone is more consistent then some tour pro's then why isnt he playing on tour? Please do not say to get an education because that would be the lamest excuse ever. Tiger woods dropped out of school and I would have to say he is somewhat successfull on tour. I think you should seriously stop putting your foot in your mouth because you are making a serious a$$ of yourself.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
. BTW, swing speed is irrelevent to distance,

Club head speed is a major component of distance, as in E=M x C(squared). Good contact is required, but without that C(squared) being a high number, you are going to max out way short of 300 yards.

Let's do some examples, using common driver lofts, head weights, various club head speeds, and "average" upward attack angle, an "average" air density and various degrees of "perfect" contact:

Hacker(me sometimes):
Speed: 90mph, 200gm, loft 9.5* , 4* upward attack, 0.88 energy transfer (basically how closer to center of sweet spot), at 360 ft above sea level, 2411 rpm, carry 205 yards.
Same speed with 15* 3 wood, level angle of attack, 3807 rpm, carry 211 yards. Which is why some of us hackers do better with high lofted drivers or 3 woods off the tee.

Good amatuer(me sometimes)
Speed: 95mph, 200gm, loft 9.5*, 4* upward aoa, 0.93 et, 360 ft asl, 2545 rpm, 240 yards carry.
With 15* 3 wood, level aoa, 238 yards.

Pro:
Speed: 110 mph, 200 gram, loft 9*, 4* upward aoa, 0.97 et, 360 ft asl, 2792 rpm, 299 yards carry.
With 15* 3 wood, level aoa, 279 yards

Tiger and other godlike creatures:
Speed: 125 mph, 200 gm, loft 8* driver, 2* upward aoa, 1.00 et, 360 ft asl, 2820 rpm, 334 yards carry

Mythical, unwind or slope assisted, not affected by Kryptonite creatures:
Speed: 140 mph, 200 gm, 6* driver, 4* upward aoa, 1.00 et, 360 ft asl, 2369 rpm, 371 yards.

All data taken from Trajectory Model 2.01

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Speed: 140 mph, 200 gm, 6* driver, 4* upward aoa, 1.00 et, 360 ft asl, 2369 rpm, 371 yards.

Bingo, most people have no clue what is needed to hit a golf ball 350 yards. It is a feat and then some. Those numbers are perfect, more so than any human could ever do consistently. More so than 99% of the golfing population could do even once.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Club head speed is a major component of distance, as in E=M x C(squared). Good contact is required, but without that C(squared) being a high number, you are going to max out way short of 300 yards.

Let's do some examples, using common driver lofts, head weights, various club head speeds, and "average" upward attack angle, an "average" air density and various degrees of "perfect" contact:

Hacker(me sometimes):
Speed: 90mph, 200gm, loft 9.5* , 4* upward attack, 0.88 energy transfer (basically how closer to center of sweet spot), at 360 ft above sea level, 2411 rpm, carry 205 yards.
Same speed with 15* 3 wood, level angle of attack, 3807 rpm, carry 211 yards. Which is why some of us hackers do better with high lofted drivers or 3 woods off the tee.

Good amatuer(me sometimes)
Speed: 95mph, 200gm, loft 9.5*, 4* upward aoa, 0.93 et, 360 ft asl, 2545 rpm, 240 yards carry.
With 15* 3 wood, level aoa, 238 yards.

Pro:
Speed: 110 mph, 200 gram, loft 9*, 4* upward aoa, 0.97 et, 360 ft asl, 2792 rpm, 299 yards carry.
With 15* 3 wood, level aoa, 279 yards

Tiger and other godlike creatures:
Speed: 125 mph, 200 gm, loft 8* driver, 2* upward aoa, 1.00 et, 360 ft asl, 2820 rpm, 334 yards carry

I need to improve my AOA if I am only 285 carry with a 115mph SS. Are you getting this data from a launch monitor? They only give me launch angles.

Nevermind duhh, I seen it Trajectory Model. But how does one find out the AOA?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Demon, dont beat yourself over it LOL. You are human after all.
Those kind of numbers are pretty unrealistic in the real world. Having every important launch number being perfect is pretty unattainable.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I need to improve my AOA if I am only 285 carry with a 115mph SS. Are you getting this data from a launch monitor? They only give me launch angles.

Nevermind duhh, I seen it Trajectory Model. But how does one find out the AOA?

Best way to determine aoa would be to use a high speed camera zeroed in on the club head at contact. I took these "average" aoa's off a website somewhere. Everyone is going to be slightly different. Jeez, look how J.B. Holmes hits down on the ball with every club, including his driver. I'll bet his numbers are major aberrations.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Demon, dont beat yourself over it LOL. You are human after all.
Those kind of numbers are pretty unrealistic in the real world. Having every important launch number being perfect is pretty unattainable.
Im not, but if it is something I can work on I would. I dont like to get bored with golf so I find dumb things to do like hit balls out of deep divots with my 15* fairway wood.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Im not, but if it is something I can work on I would. I dont like to get bored with golf so I find dumb things to do like hit balls out of deep divots with my 15* fairway wood.

Yeah I used to do that until that became boring as well :prop: .

You are way, way out of my league man. If I've learned anything on this forum it is that I've had to come to terms with the golfer I am vs. the golfer I think I am, and you have assisted in this process!

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Yeah I used to do that until that became boring as well :prop: .

You are way, way out of my league man. If I've learned anything on this forum it is that I've had to come to terms with the golfer I am vs. the golfer I think I am, and you have assisted in this process!

Nah, I am not out of anyones league. Its all in the mind.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
Wow I was getting freaked at those numbers with the 110MPH SS until I saw 2 things. 'Average' air density and Lyle's perfect contact post. And here I was minding my own business thinking 260 yards with my swing was a pretty decent average. BTW, for the OP, I've hit 1 400 yard drive. In the summer, downhill par 5, rock hard fairway (read: runway) and perfect contact. Nice when you're hitting a 100 yard 2nd shot on par 5's. Not nice when you make par though!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
...maybe you should come down and meet some real golfers. I think your just a troll who comes on here to make trouble.

LyleG has 568 posts and is a great contributor to this site...you have 49 and are (after reading your drivel on this thread) OBVIOUSLY full of cow dung.

Me thinks you are the troll.

Change your ways or go away...either way, this site will be better off.

Anyone other than Big Bang that's offended by this post, I do apologize. It simply needed to be said.

🔥 Latest posts