• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The art of eBay - step by step guide to selling golf gear...

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I've just ho'ed a new wedge so it's predecessor is on up for grabs on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7237449067&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

I'm happy to take criticism (and indeed offers!!!) on this listing as I obviously want to get the most I can for it. I figure it is worth ~£30, it is in great condition and well looked after, but I know there are ways of maxing out how much one gets.

Forget this particular item but perhaps use it as a model for debate. I am interested in any advice (for now or in the future) on how to get what you are looking for.

I trawl through eBay a lot and sometimes see stuff really badly presented, and other times I am in awe at how good a job the seller has done.

My key points / questions are:

• Description - needs to describe item, condition, specs etc. the more detail the better without the BS
  • Number of photos - 2:4 quality resolution images from different angles with attention to detail
  • Gallery image - I didn't list here, does it make a difference?
  • Feedback - mine is good for now and I feel it is very important to a buyer
  • Min. amount - I put it on at 0.99 to attract interest, any thoughts?
  • Buy it now - never use it, but happy to consider it.
  • Postage - I cover my costs but always try and keep it to a minimum, some people try and backload into postage and that pisses me off. It puts me off buying from someone like that.

I think this may become a sticky as most people here are in the business of buying and selling on eBay, so why not help out fellow STers.

vincel

Nov 28, 2005
Irish I couldn't view your item here at work firewall and all I have sold a number of things on e-bay, here are some of my thoughts.

• The heading, probably the most important item to consider. When someone searchs for an item your heading is what most determines if you even get your item viewed.
  • I think the description of the item, condition, specs etc. with detail is important but don't ramble so that your description looks like a book. Also when you have diferent things to explain about your item make a new paragraph don't have it looking like one long boooooring page.
  • Pictures, can't afford the gallery. My pictures are taken at a low resolution simply because all users don't have broadband and nothing turns people off more than waiting for the pictures to load. If you have good feedback (you have trust) and only need to show 2-4 pictures and if your item has a flaw describe it and show a picture of the flaw.
  • Feedback is very important but it turns me off when someone says "I'll leave you positive feedback as soon as you post mine".
  • As far as my min. amount I list my items at a starting price that I must have for a sale, no chance on me getting unlucky and giving away an item.
  • Buy-it-now, sometimes if I'm looking for a quick sale I'll price it at a slightly higher price than I must have.
  • Postage is a tough call, depending on your item size/weight. I don't have the time to run to the PO to check every parcels price. I always include insurance in the postage, I call it Shipping/Handeling /and Insurance. With e-bay costs and paypal costs you have to bump the postage slightly. But it really pisses me off when someone has an outrageously low price and then tries to sucker you with high postage.
  • I like to add a counter at the bottom of the page, I want to know if I'm getting any viewings.​

Just my thoughts I'm not an expert by all means. Good luck!​

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Good post, IG. And good auction listing. You've covered all your bases, with a front and rear shot of the club, plus one of the grip.

One thing that pisses me off in auctions is when they have the "stock photo". This puts me off right away. I wanna see the pictures of the club itself, not something Callaway or Taylor Made took 3 years ago.

I'm an E-bay sniper and journeyman, selling and buying. I've been there and done it all. Bought drivers for $10 and sold putters for 4 times what I've paid. 100% feedback. I've even bought a fake. So I've pretty much seen it all.

I'm not claiming to be all that with E-bay, but i've never paid more than half of retail for anything in my bag. ;)

R35

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
The Ping G2 driver that I put on eBay sold in 2 hours, for the buy it now price. My auction start is typically the very lowest that I would consider selling it for.

My Nikon Coolpix 4300 has practically paid for itself with the stuff I have sold on eBay. If I weren't so frigging lazy, I would clean my house and sell all the stuff I found. :)

Anyone want to buy a 40 year old real leather Western saddle in excellent condition?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
What you could do to enhance this listing.
  • Larger lettering I use this size/color
  • Better photo of the head. Read the book on your cam. It should have a close-up mode.
  • Buy it now is the cheapest way to get around setting a reserve. All the crap I just sold went quick. If 4 or 5 people are bidding one will most likely say the heck with it and just buy the thing. I may have been able to get 5% more than I did on some stuff but is it worth sweating it out for 7days wondering if somone will steal $300 worth of clubs for $150?
  • No reserve. Emphasize this point. Nothing turns me off faster than putting up a bid and Reserve not Met pops up. I never look at it again.
I use the gallery sometimes. I used it for the Scotty Cameron because I had an awesome photo with an orange/blue glare coming off it. It sold for $25 more than I bought it for 2 months ago... in 10 minutes. You have to be careful not to rack up too many charges, Ebay will get $10 from $30 listing quick, not to mention paypal. Don't be afraid to use gimmicky sounding stuff in there, it's an advertisement. People read/process right to left actually so at the end of the listing sentece "great wedge" " great condition" "it's the pants" (that's what you guys say right). Sounds stupid but the more people you can draw in, the more it will sell for.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
SiberianDVM said:
Anyone want to buy a 40 year old real leather Western saddle in excellent condition?

Oooo, I was looking for a 39 year old one.

Sorry, Doc. ;)

R35

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2005
MOST important is the title.....you wouldnt believe the deals i find when typing in titles doesnt bring up some items...make sure ur title is perfect

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2005
and i would disagree with the big obnoctious blue lettering.....id find that just annoying and hard to read. Plus id say the more info the better...that means no big huge blue font...

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
lildudejds said:
and i would disagree with the big obnoctious blue lettering.....id find that just annoying and hard to read. Plus id say the more info the better...that means no big huge blue font...

Yes, but you are not the buyer I am looking for...you are not impulsive enough. Stupid obnoxious gimmicks work in advertising, believe me, marketing is my major. In the past few months here's some of the crap I've sold on there not including shipping.
  • Scotty Cameron Studio Design $135
  • Titleist 690mb's $249
  • Vokey 200 series wedge $39
  • Sonartec MD 25* $99
  • Palm Treo 600 (bought for $119-used it 14months) $186
  • Year old TiVo $71
  • My old textbooks went between $36-$79.
The object is to hook as many people as possible into either bidding or putting your item into thier favorites as possible for the end of the auction. An auction doesn't work when there is only 1 person bidding. I try to use the end of auction mania to my advantage. As bids go up around 70-80% of your buy it now, one person is likely to say the hell with it and just buy it.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Use macro mode for the close up shots of the clubface - seeing the club up REAL close is a huge bonus I think.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
VtDivot said:
Use macro mode for the close up shots of the clubface - seeing the club up REAL close is a huge bonus I think.

I just figured this out last week. The lighting is a bitch and so is keeping the camera still. It would help to have a tripod. I have a mini plastic one that came with the cam but it sucks. Of course if the club looks like crap you have to try to not make it look worse in the pic. Woods seem to look worse than real life, every little scratch looks bigger and deeper than it is.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Take your pictures using macro in natural sunlight(ie:eek:utside). It makes HUGE difference. You rarely need the flash and it captures more detail that way.

R35

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
SiberianDVM said:

I was after a 40 year old "Eastern" one, now they're rare!
icon12.gif

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
I've had some really good returns on investment from eBay. The key as you say is in the wording of the ad. I generally would give a realistic retail value of the item in the header for the ad ... "blah blah retails @ €100". I've sold everything from laser rangefinders to perfume. Was in Boots doing homework on pricing perfumes when a shop assistant was taken off her feet by the amount of blurb I knew on the different fragrances.. as we in the trade call it ;) ...

the laser rangefinder was my best so far ... dragged in from America for the princely sum of $120 and sold to a guy in Scotland for €220 albeit he used the buy it now and I gave free shipping.

Oh one other thing ... emm bless me father for I have ho'ed even tho I promised I wouldn't. I've scored a Tour Edge Exotics 9* Aldila NV S for $242.50 + $ 60 customs. I went up last night with it ... but that's another story ... I contacted the sole distributor in Ireland for Tour Edge and he quoted me €540 !! ... eww the dollar signs are in dront of ma eyes !!

🔥 Latest posts