• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Ashes

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
I must admit, I'm not the biggest fan of cricket because it does tend to bore me, but it has a huge following worldwide, especially in India.

The traditional model is basically 2 innings each played over 4 or 5 days. It can end up as a win, a loss, a draw or a tie. Rumour has it that Americans don't like it as there's not a guaranteed result.

As a slight aside, I do like baseball but I must admit that MLB games seem to be horrendously drawn out these days. The moment a side does something good (like a homer ) there's a time out, a pitcher replacement etc. The game then goes into slow motion until something exciting happens again. Then the other side does the same thing ...

test match is over 5 days, 2 innings per side usually - at the moment it does not look like England will need another innings thanks to the brilliant batting performance of Australia - all out for 60 runs from 111 balls (new record). I'll be honest, the 5 days are a tad boring!

one days are nic and closely matched - 50 overs per side or untill all is out.

then you also have 20/20 games - 20 overs per side, so high run rate is order of the day. think about it, 120 balls to get as high target as possible for the other team - seeing scores as high as 220 is awesome!!

a certain South African player currently holds the record for the quickest 50 runs, quickest 100 runs and quickest 150 runs, he got all of these last year, one them in the Cricket World Cup. :eek: all the records were in the one day matches (50 overs). his name - AB De Villiers!:cool:

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
This thread is just full of :poop: I'll never understand.

What's funny to me is TTR saying that baseball is horrendously drawn out (which I agree with) while also saying a Cricket match takes 4-5 days.

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
This thread is just full of :poop: I'll never understand.

What's funny to me is TTR saying that baseball is horrendously drawn out (which I agree with) while also saying a Cricket match takes 4-5 days.

not all cricket matches takes 5 days - only test matches...thought your read this :poop:ty thread...:D

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
OMG:poop::poop::poop::ninja::ninja::alien::alien::alien:

Cricket is proof that ancient aliens did in fact visit.

Test Match? WTF is that? 5 Days? Who has a lifestyle that they could participate in that or dedicate enough time to watch or attend etc...

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
No worries! There is always "one day cricket" for blokes bored with it. If you think about it, isn't golf almost the same? Four days for a tournament seems kind of similar to five days of cricket. Maybe people with a golf related type of lifestyle might be the quite similar to those with a cricket related lifestyle, just born somewhere golf was not that big....

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
At least you can explain golf or watch and get a general idea of what the goal of the game is.

Cricket. Not so much...

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Muricans don't like complex sports.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Cricket is simple. Don't make outs. Protect the sticks. Score points. If your team is in the field, it is just the opposite. Easier than baseball to follow, just takes a heck of a lot longer per game.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
What is an out? What is 'the sticks'? How does one 'score points'?

Baseball is long enough...how could cricket possibly be longer?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Have a buddy in Detroit who is BIG into hockey. Went there last yr for the car show and we went to this massive bar called "Hockey Town", they had a Detroit Redwings game on about a dozen tv's. He did his best to explain the game but by the time he was done I knew less than I had started with.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
What is an out? What is 'the sticks'? How does one 'score points'?

Baseball is long enough...how could cricket possibly be longer?

An out = getting out. The sticks = the wickets. Otherwise known as the "stumps." Points can be scored by hitting the ball and then running between the wickets and touching your bat down at the end of the cricket "pitch" as you run back and forth. Also if you hit the equivalent to a homer its 6 points (or 6 runs). If you get the ball to the boundary of the field (not on the full) it's 4 points (aka 4 runs).

🔥 Latest posts