• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The AT&T at Pebble Beach

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
United States United States
I watched most of the final round yesterday and it was very entertaining. The win was literally up for grabs until the final putt. I did feel sorry for Nate Lashley. He was playing well and had a wreck on the 16th hole.
My question for the forum is why do you think so many of the top ranked players decided to skip this event? I know many who played in Saudi Arabia needed a break, but I always considered the Crosby (as it was once called) a top event. If for no other reason because it's played at Pebble. I sometimes wonder if the celebrity Pro-Am part may have run it's course. Years ago it drew a who's who of A-list entertainers. Recently, it seems the amateurs are mostly corporate CEOs and a few B-list actors. Anyway I'm curious as to your thoughts.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Never one of my favorite events. IMHO, it made a mockery of the Game of Golf. The celebrities like Bill Murray made it about them and not the game. Yes, it did have its day. Pro golfers were driving from tourney to tourney. They were trying to eke out a living playing a game they loved. The Crosby was a chance for them to hobnob with movie stars and celebrities they only had dreamed of meeting.
Today, the top players are millionaires themselves. The top players are also celebrities. Actors, actresses, musicians, etc. aren't drawn to the "social clubs" like they once were. The have their own "peeps". So, as you say, a top pro golfer may get paired with the CEO of a company that makes dish rags. They may get paired with a politician who they don't agree, politically, with. It's run its course.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I've always viewed it as a big party that happens to have a golf tournament going on at the same time. A listers like Bill Murray who would mess with the crowd added to the party side, not to the golf side. Given that view of it, I never disliked the tournament, but I also never made it a priority to watch.

OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I hate Bill Murray. I like to watch any event at Pebble, though. Just an amazingly beautiful track.
I agree. I've never played there, but I know most of the holes from watching on TV all these years. The picture they always show of six, seven and eight is breathtaking and seventeen and eighteen are iconic.
Also, like you I think Bill Murray has had his day. He's just not funny anymore.
Remembering the old days, I used to always pull for Jack Lemmon and his partner to make the cut (I don't think he ever did).

🔥 Latest posts