• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The barbecue/grilling thread 2008

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Does anyone have a good recipe for home made baked beans?

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005

Sure...Minimalist approach.

Cook up some white beans - drain most water.

Add some Black-Strap Molasses, finely chopped onions, salt, pepper & a little chili powder. If it's too dry, add a little beer.

Put it into a covered casserole dish, top with bacon & bake until bacon is cooked (it won't get crispy) & the whole mess is bubbling.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Here is a simple one that I like and use.
4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 28-ounce can baked beans
3-4 tablespoons or so of the BBQ sauce you already made (or substitute with inferior sauce for inferior beans :)).
1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

Saute bacon and onion, drain, add remaining ingredients, stir around, cook for 30 minutes at 350*.

I usually double this.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
I'm grilling ribs this weekend...............I can't stand it. I looked at PaJayhawk's pics, and drool starting down my chin. Last weekend, we had lamb kebabs on the grill with yogurt dipping sauce and jumbo shrimp marinated with lemon and marjoram. That was fantastic. But nothing beats ribs.

The master

Oct 24, 2004
This thread is the shit, I have just got into barbecuing recently and I am addicted, I probably barbecue 3 times a week. I have been doing some good kebabs recently and lovely sweet chili glazed sausages as well. I will try and get some pics up soon.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Work is slow....so i am bringing up dead threads....its a thingi do...

I cant believe the last post in this thread was way back in june...

Spring is coming back, grills should be getting fired up up here....

I have had mine out a couple of times this year, just the usual stuff though, burgers, brats and dogs....nothing special or worth posting about but sure like reading about what you guys cook up

Hos

Jan 11, 2009
Definately looking forward to grilling this year - newborn baby, lots of evenings staying home this year grilling out and drinking beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Have a new Electric Bradley Cabinet smoker to compliment my real one. Have used it a couple times with much success. I actually thought I had posted pictures, but seems I didn't. Just got a new meat grinder and sausage stuffer for my Counter mixer this week. Will be making myself some sausage, and some beef sticks to smoke in the smoker for golf as soon as I get some sausage casings.

Must have gotten distracted after I took these. Really nice in the winter when it's fricken freezing out, only have to go out about 1/3 as much or every couple hours and turn the meat. Automatically feeds the smoke biscuits. Still like the New Braunfels better for taste, but this thing is definately convenient and can be used as a dehydrator for things like jerky, or to do cold smoke on things like cheese, or things I want to cook later.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
cooked in a blizzard tonight (40k/hr winds, blowing snow. -29*C windchill)

ai23.photobucket.com_albums_b399_biglyle2_dinner_IMG.jpg

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Looks good..

I smoked 9lbs of ribs this weekend on the Big Green Egg. Although my weather was nice outside, being almost 80*, sunny.. It was nice to sit outside..

I did a dry rub on mine, used spicy mustard as the base, and brown sugar and honey as a light glaze to hold the rub. Garlic, onion, assortment of cayenne, chipotle and other smoked peppers. A few secret other things, packed on there. The sugars/honey carmelize with the dry rub, and lock it all in.

Smoked for 5 hours, at 225*, indirect with Pecan wood. Adding sauce would be a crime they were so good. :)

Usually I smoke with mesquite or hickory, but I use pecan for turkeys and such, thought I'd try it with ribs. The spice from the rub with the sweetness of the smoke was really good combo.

I also smoke with Jack Daniels soaked hickory chips sometimes for an added flair.

I do a garlic/rosemary chicken, with a red wine soaked oak chips.. MMMmm.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Looks good..

I smoked 9lbs of ribs this weekend on the Big Green Egg. Although my weather was nice outside, being almost 80*, sunny.. It was nice to sit outside..

I did a dry rub on mine, used spicy mustard as the base, and brown sugar and honey as a light glaze to hold the rub. Garlic, onion, assortment of cayenne, chipotle and other smoked peppers. A few secret other things, packed on there. The sugars/honey carmelize with the dry rub, and lock it all in.

Smoked for 5 hours, at 225*, indirect with Pecan wood. Adding sauce would be a crime they were so good. :)

Usually I smoke with mesquite or hickory, but I use pecan for turkeys and such, thought I'd try it with ribs. The spice from the rub with the sweetness of the smoke was really good combo.

I also smoke with Jack Daniels soaked hickory chips sometimes for an added flair.

I do a garlic/rosemary chicken, with a red wine soaked oak chips.. MMMmm.

Unacceptable - must have PM with secrets....
icon10.gif

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Yummy!!!! I could go for real good ribs right now. Had some St Louis style last week from Smoky John's, a joint here on the east side of Madison. Best I have had so far were from the House of Embers up in the Dells, fantastic tasting & oh so tender.

I don't have the patience to make my own.

🔥 Latest posts